PDA

View Full Version : Hiking GA with a bad shoulder

ed baldwin
03-01-2013, 21:15
It seems like the only time I might be able to get from MI to GA is post op on my left shoulder. DR. recommends a couple months off work from that. He said I cant actually hurt myself or undo what he is doing. Other than the obvious that the backpack may be uncomfortable, would it be reasonable to attempt the hike across GA with a bad non dominant shoulder? Or is it a rough hike that will require a lot of strength from both shoulders. i.e, climbing over boulders or grabbing roots to keep club a hill?

Train Wreck
03-01-2013, 21:45
There aren't any rock scrambles till you get to Albert Mt just across the state line in NC. It might be kind of uncomfortable trying to sleep at night with nothing but a sleeping pad, though. Good luck :)

Slo-go'en
03-01-2013, 22:47
The risk you take is that of stumbling for what ever reason and taking a tumble. If you happen to land on that shoulder, it could really hurt or do serious damage! Do you really want to take that risk?

Alligator
03-01-2013, 23:16
What are you having done? I had my rotator cuff repaired. I think it was about 4 months when he let me go hiking, 6 months for complete clearance.

ed baldwin
03-02-2013, 07:47
I am having a wedge of bone removed from my collar bone. I have arthritis pretty bad there. He told me I could go back to work as soon as I wanted but he said I wouldn't want to as I use my left arm a lot at work. I work on an assembly line. He recommends I take two months off. I was thinking of making the trip 6 weeks post op. I've had surgery twice before on this arm for everything that could be wrong with it so I know it will hurt for a while. I most concerned with needing a lot of strength in it. That takes a while to come back to normal.
This is the second topic I started and got good replies fast on both of them.:)
Thank you

Maybe one day
03-02-2013, 07:50
With Rotator Cuff repair - if that is it - the recliner was the only way I could sleep. Laying flat would not work - at all- for quite a while. The other thing you should consider is the rehab. You will need to focus time on developing strength after you get your range of motion. I speak from experience in that I did not focus on rehab after the motion and have regretted it greatly...Use the time to strengthen and then take the hike at a better opportunity.

ed baldwin
03-02-2013, 08:03
With Rotator Cuff repair - if that is it - the recliner was the only way I could sleep. Laying flat would not work - at all- for quite a while. The other thing you should consider is the rehab. You will need to focus time on developing strength after you get your range of motion. I speak from experience in that I did not focus on rehab after the motion and have regretted it greatly...Use the time to strengthen and then take the hike at a better opportunity.

Yeah, I hear ya. I had some work done in '04 and again jan of '12. Slept in the recliner for two weeks each time.
Rotator cuff, bursitis, arthritis, tight biceps tendon, and bone spurs. It was all laparoscopic before. He wants to cut me open this time.
Maybe it is best to wait.

Lyle
03-02-2013, 08:27
Also, how would your work respond if you are off work, but then go backpacking? May not sit well with them.
While hiking itself shouldn't be a problem, you still have some normal activities that will take some upper body exertion. Lifting your pack multiple times per day, hanging food bags, getting water. Can it be done? Sure. Should you do it? Your call.

ed baldwin
03-02-2013, 08:47
Also, how would your work respond if you are off work, but then go backpacking? .

It might not sit well with them but I,d be okay. Fact is I will return to work ASAP. Last surgery I tried to return after a month, cleared by the DR. and was told by the bosses to stay home another month.
But I'm starting to see the light. I didn't think about putting the pack on and off several times a day. I was just thinking that I will be using my arm what I can around the house and figured it wouldn't be much worse doing some cooking or other lite things on the trail. I WAS most concerned with the weight of the pack pulling on my shoulder. I see there are some things I overlooked.
Lyle, I see your in MI. How much have you been able to section hike? I can't wait to at least walk part of it one day.

Lyle
03-02-2013, 09:29
Lyle, I see your in MI. How much have you been able to section hike? I can't wait to at least walk part of it one day.

I've sectioned Springer to Bear Mountain, NY so far. I just started seriously working on it in 2006. It is a hassle at times, having to travel so far, but now, here in the northeast it's getting better. Just cut through Canada and it's not a terrible drive. I try to do two sections each year of between 150 to 200 miles each. Sometimes only get one in, sometimes an extra week in addition.

Section hiking is inconvenient, way more expensive way to hike the trail as compared to thru hiking, but I do look forward to these weeks out. I may be semi-retiring sometime this next year. May decide to do a final push at that point and finish it up in 2014- no definite plans. There are a lot of other trails to get to in a more serious way. The Long Trail and the Colorado Trail are both on the "Will Do" list, Tahoe Rim has a small start last fall, so these are all waiting. So many trails, so little time...

Regarding putting the pack on and off; I'll go ahead and debate myself here. This hurdle can USUALLY be gotten around if you are inventive. At shelters, you set the pack on the table or shelter floor, then slide your arms in and stand up. Along the trail, find a large rock or log to set the pack on in the same method. I've seen some folks sit on the ground in front of their pack, put their arms through the shoulder straps, then roll to hands and knees, and use their poles or a nearby tree to assist themselves in standing up. If there's a will, there's usually a way, but it's a personal choice if you want to put in the effort and accept the risk if things go wrong.

Good luck, however you decide. As others often say on this forum: The trail ain't going anywhere, it will be there when you are ready.

moldy
03-02-2013, 09:43
Before you go you should take your full pack to an outfitter store like REI and have a very knowledgable person adjust your pack so that it will go easy on your damaged shoulder. The loads can be shifted with the straps so as to make it better for you. They can also show you how to put it on and take it off without hurting yourself. The real key to success on this trip is to go as light as possible. I would go for it, you don't walk on your shoulders. Sleeping will be more of a problem than walking....

capehiker
03-02-2013, 09:55
Maybe it is best to wait.

I tried something like this except it was after leg surgery. I had been off for a few weeks and was feeling antsy sitting around the house. My leg was feeling fine so I figured I'd head out on an overnight trip over flat terrain. All it took was one stub of the foot on the rock and I was laying on the ground in pain. Luckily, I didn't re-injure the leg but I hobbled back home and chastised myself for being such an idiot.

I keep picturing you slipping on a wet rock and falling forward, arms stretched out to catch your fall and really doing a number on your shoulder. Your shoulder will get a workout. I'd reconsider your thoughts on hiking until you get a clean bill of health.

Slo-go'en
03-02-2013, 13:14
This is not quite the same, but I broke my collar bone by taking a tumble (not hiking) early in June one year. I tried to go backpacking in September but only lasted 2 days it still hurt too much. If your having a wedge of bone removed from the collar bone and seeing all the stress a backpack puts on that bone, not a chance of your going anywhere.