PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof / Water resist your down

Wise Old Owl
03-02-2013, 08:33
After a trip to Sea Isle a few weeks ago in February, the heavy rain revealed my LL Bean down jacket did not have waterproof/water resistant qualities. When we got to the condo I ran it thru the dryer and knew I had to do something about it.

Now is a good time to waterproof your down outside! First pick a day that is not raining or windy and make sure you have a better than normal respirator with an exhale valve

Spray at a 2 foot distance and do not inhale fumes. Holding your breath will not work.
Do not do the inside of the garment.

Give ample time and give the coat or product a spray in the other direction after an hour…
Test 24 hours later with a teaspoon of water – should bead.

Product I used was Tectron Spray 20088

etboy
03-02-2013, 14:14
How did it turn out?
I've been thinking of doing this with some of my other gear, pants etc.
Never had the need before living in San Diego, but the A.T. is going to be maybe just a little wetter?

Steve Jennette
03-02-2013, 14:21
I would love to hear how this turned out also. Did the down clump up?

Old Hiker
03-02-2013, 15:00
How about doing this to the bottom 1/3 of my sleeping bag? I tend to slide down to the end of my tent, where my bag touches the outer wall and absorbs condensation. Haven't tried other locations other than FL, so I'm not sure about condensation up north. I don't recall much, if any, last year for my attempt.

Wise Old Owl
03-02-2013, 15:30
How about doing this to the bottom 1/3 of my sleeping bag? I tend to slide down to the end of my tent, where my bag touches the outer wall and absorbs condensation. Haven't tried other locations other than FL, so I'm not sure about condensation up north. I don't recall much, if any, last year for my attempt.

It turned out well!, This is a surface spray treatment and done on the outside of the jacket. It may seep a bit into the down - but not enough to clump. As for the bag - yes you can do that... but there are two forces going on here. Capillary action (Wicking can be reduced) and sweat from your feet. We loose a lot of water from our feet.

q-tip
03-03-2013, 11:40
I would check with the manufacturer as to what they suggest you use on your down garment. WM recommends DWR for their bags, and I use it for my Mont Bell camp jacket. This protection will help with mist, surely wil not protect aganinst rain.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 12:22
The bead test is just that .... to make rain bounce - like Teflon... if its protection is mist (why bother doing it?) The product I mentioned is a clear step up over Silicone. It is not as good as hydro-philic.

It appears that most $200 down jackets are useless in rain...

aviator60
03-22-2013, 21:43
Which LLBean jacket do you have? I have the Ultralight 850 with Resist Down and it is far from useless in the rain. I wore it all winter, snowshoeing, downhill skiing, and around town. In this part of Michigan winter is a cycle of snow, sleet, rain, and repeat. Never had any issues. The jacket flattens a bit when soaked but not like a regular down jacket. If I had to estimate it keeps at least half if not 2/3rds of it's loft (and this is only after the water gets through the DWR outer). The jacket is fairly cheap too at $179. (if you order while they are backorderd they will immediately send you a $10 e-card and 10% offer; when you get it you can cancel your order and re-order it using the offers and it ends up around 151).

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2013, 19:58
uh I have a cheap one...

Old Hiker
06-09-2013, 20:09
The jacket is fairly cheap too at $179. (if you order while they are backorderd they will immediately send you a $10 e-card and 10% offer; when you get it you can cancel your order and re-order it using the offers and it ends up around 151).

Gee. I wonder why THIS happened: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95773-REI-ends-return-policy

Seems to me like you are taking advantage of their policy to try and keep your business while out of stock.

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2013, 20:18
I just ended this thread Old Hiker and started a new one..on the same subject

Here is the new one

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?95913-Waterproof-Superhydrophobic-Spray-is-now-here-at-a-store-near-you-Next-Week!&p=1484170&viewfull=1#post1484170

Old Hiker
06-09-2013, 20:24
WOO - just got through reading that thread. I'm thinking about my bottom 1/3 of the sleeping bag again. Looks like a good product. I'm wondering about the application procedure. I get 10% military discount - might have to buy several !!!

I'm thinking again - have to be careful about WHAT you put it on. I bet it stops any perspiration from traveling out as well !!