PDA

View Full Version : Exciting news for those of us that like to look at the night skies:

Different Socks
03-02-2013, 13:04
As seen from mid-northern latitudes, Comet Panstarrs might become visible with an optical aid around March 7 or 8. However, the comet will sit in the glow of dusk and will set around 40 to 45 minutes after sunset. By March 12, the comet will be considerably higher in the sky and will set around 75 minutes after sun. What’s more, the comet will be next to the waxing crescent moon on the North American evening of March 12.
On March 12, go out at sunset and when it drops below horizon look for thin crescent moon. The comet will be slightly above it and to the left. On April 6th, the comet will be directly below the Andromeda galaxy, but not as bright.
Comet ISON will be seen in Nov/Dec and is predicted to be as bright or brighter than Hale-Bopp!!

Okay, one more: Comet Lemmon can be seen at sunrise in May. No details yet where to look for it. That's 3 comets in one year I will spy with my scope!!! C-mon everybody get excited!!

If I get clear skies to see all 3, it will bring my total to 6 comets seen since moving to MT!

Feral Bill
03-02-2013, 13:25
I'm excited. Hope the weather cooperates.

Liminal
03-02-2013, 13:38
Thanks for the reminder... Excitement in the sky... this from our local "Eye On The Sky" http://www.fairbanksmuseum.org/NightSky

"March skies, like the weather, are in transition. Orion is still prominent in the evening, skies, but sets later in the evening. Leo the Lion climbs up into the east, and the Big Dipper reaches into the northeast, looking like a giant question mark. Follow the “handle” toward the horizon, where the star Arcturus rises by 9 o’clock. While these stars are the same each year, this March hosts a relatively bright comet, though nothing too spectacular. Comet PanSTARRS will be visible in binoculars, and possibly to the unaided eye, from about the 10th through the end of the month. It will appear low in the west 30 minutes or so after sunset. Jupiter continues to offer a great view in the evening, while Saturn slowly joins the evening sky, rising earlier each evening. Mercury, Venus, and Mars are too close to the Sun for viewing. Daylight Saving Time starts on Sunday, the 10th."