PDA

View Full Version : 8.6 mile Florida Trail section, 3/2

perrymk
03-02-2013, 17:06
I won't be posting every hike, but this one was especially fun.

My new windproof fleece jacket and gloves worked great. According to a bank I passed, the temperature was 29F. I didn't get cold on the bicycle. I did make a wrong turn so probably biked an extra mile or two (shuttle distance should have been 12 miles or so, for me it was longer). The hike was great. I Jackie Chan'd (hopped side to side while moving forward without really getting my footing; I'm coining a new term) over some waterlogged areas. At least I kept my feet dry. I finally got to a section where this was not possible and I couldn't find a way around so I had to remove my boots and socks, roll up my pant legs, and wade across. I could hear the WCSO live fire range as I got closer to the end. On the way back to pick up my bicycle I ran into a utility company roadblock. Apparently a tree fell across the road and some power lines so I had to re-route my way back to my bicycle. Then on my way out, a different route avoiding the downed power lines, I came up to a flooded portion of road. I decided not to risk it and found yet another way out of the forest.

I've noticed on this and my previous hike that the miles pass quickly. I'm guessing the actual distances are a little less than what the FTA maps state. It doesn't matter; this is just for information. Or maybe this short, pudgy guy is the world's greatest hiker. Stop laughing!

All in all a great day.

WingedMonkey
03-02-2013, 17:16
Did you bike in that hat?

:banana

perrymk
03-02-2013, 17:21
I have a warm knit hat that I pull down over my ears for biking. At least it's blaze orange too. :)