PDA

View Full Version : About 95% prepared but some problems...

todd52
03-02-2013, 20:33
Hi everyone

I haven't posted in awhile but that doesn't mean I haven't been planning, preparing and accumulating supplies. I've also done a lot of reading, watching videos and just generally trying to educate myself on all the pros, cons and how-to's of hiking, backpacking, camping, survival, etc since the last time I was here and feel that I have a somewhat better knowledge of what I'm up against now.

Ok, here's where I stand at the moment. I've refined my gear list as much as possible without going overboard so that I have everything I need and nothing I don't. The only thing I haven't gotten yet is...well...food. My pack is light (17 pounds). I'll post my gear list a little later but I need to explain something...

My circumstances may be somewhat special/different than a lot of you (or perhaps not). You folks can decide. First of all, I don't drive (never have due to disability) and so I don't have a car or any transportation and because I am an extreme introvert and suffer from Social Anxiety/Agoraphobia, I have seldom left the house if nearly 15 years except to keep Doctor's appointments, go to the store or the post office. If this sounds strange, well it might be but that's just the way it is. I also have a pretty severe tic disorder as well as several anxiety and panic disorders and OCD (search the internet if your curious about what these are). My meds help some but not all the time. I am socially awkward and fearful of people (like a frightened animal more or less). There's a reason for this but I won't get into that now.

So this all probably sounds like some kind of a joke but I can assure you that it is not and these things are not something I want to have or that I can control. They are just part of my lot in life I suppose but I don't want them to stand in the way of my dreams and ambitions (ie; hiking the AP).

Having said that and being in the somewhat unique situation I find myself in, I'm not exactly sure how I would get the proverbial "ball" rolling here. For example, hitch-hiking is illegal (yes?) and since I don't think it is wise to hitch rides with strangers and/or end up with a stolen pack, I guess finding my way to the nearest trailhead is going to be a challenge. Also, even if I were to get a ride, it would be very awkward since I am agoraphobic and extremely shy (as I said earlier) and most people who give rides expect to chat with you.

So, lets say that instead, I actually walk all the way to the nearest trailhead. Where do I sleep on the way there? (I don't have money for a motel each night and certainly don't want to walk down the road for hundreds of miles). What about getting pulled over and hassled every few miles simply becasue I'm wearing a pack and look "out of place"?. Then, because of my anxiety disorders and OCD, I find myself worrying/obssessing constantly about killer bees, bears, feral dogs, someone mugging me or stealing my gear, being afraid of people and ending up getting beat up because I tic a lot and perhaps someone gets angry about that, etc. I could go on forever. I mean...just walking out the front door and into the "world" is kind of an intimating thing. And the one issue that could cause me all kinds of problems is that I pee the bed and I can't walk around with a huge refridgerator-sized box of depends strapped to my pack (I'd probably get laughed right off the trail!).

Any suggestions please?.

bigcranky
03-02-2013, 20:49
Practical advice: You're in Atlanta, right? For $80 the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega (http://www.hikerhostel.com/prices.php) will pick you up at the North Springs Marta station, give you a nice place to spend the night, feed you breakfast, and give you a ride to the trailhead at Springer. This is about the cost of one night in a hotel, so it's a pretty good deal.

The folks who run the Hiker Hostel are great, and I expect they've seen plenty of serious introverts. You will spend the night at the hostel with other hikers, of course, though you can minimize this by going mid-week. And of course you'll meet other hikers on the trail anyway. I have found the hiking community to be tolerant and patient with pretty much anyone on the trail -- much more so than back in the world, in my experience.

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for the other issues you face. Best of luck. I hope you have a good experience on the Trail.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-02-2013, 20:50
Is there a med you can take to control your bladder?

yellowsirocco
03-02-2013, 21:00
I got the mild version your problems. I am very introverted and some weekends I don't leave my apartment at all. On the trail I am completely different though. Part of it is people are better on the trail, they are more open minded, being weird is the norm on the trail. Everything has to be extremely organized in my town life, but on the trail I can relax and go with the flow.

As far as hitching: It is not illegal except for in NY and where local laws prohibit it. When you need to go to town, find someone at the shelter the night before and explain that you want a partner. A lot of folks will try to help.

Also you can make it all the way from Springer to somewhere in Virginia without hitching and maybe that can give you some time to get used to the rest of this lifestyle without hitching stressing you out. You just need to make sure to check the schedules of free/cheap shuttles that folks like Ron Haven provide.

todd52
03-02-2013, 21:41
Well, instead of getting laughed off the forum (which is what I was afraid would happen), I actually was made to feel warm and welcome and given some really great advice so thank you to all of you! :) .

I had no idea these hostel things with lodging, meals and even a ride right to the trailhead even existed. That's pretty awesome and very useful for someone in my situation. Are these just in GA or do they have them all over the country and also, is there a place (on the forum or elsewhere) that has a list of all services available to hikers of the AP?. Finally (sorry for the sudden rush of questions but this has me very interested now) is there a service that will pick you up at a long distance (ie; if you lived in Cali and needed a shuttle to a trailhead in Maine, etc)?.

I always thought HH was illegal but if it's not, that's even better news!. Maybe thats just on the interstate itself?. Does anyone (or has anyone) ever backpacked across the country recently on the open road and do you get pulled over or hassled a lot?.

I'm relieved to hear that I'd fit right in and that AP'ers are generally very accepting of oddballs like me...hehe :) . I've read similar things like this elsewhere. I have also found that most people are nicer and more layed back when they are on vacation or doing something they are enjoying -vs- if you catch them at work or on the streets when they are usually stressed out and sometimes irritable and snap more easily.

When you say "When you need to go to town, find someone at the shelter the night before and explain that you want a partner. A lot of folks will try to help." are you talking about the shelters along the trail or hostels?.

Yes, there is a med I can take for my bedwetting (enuresis) but I don't rememebr what it's called. I took it when I wa a kid and I remember it being a very tiny round pill. Can't remember if it actually worked or not. I will see if the Doctor can give me something for it.

Thanks again for the useful info and replies!.

etboy
03-02-2013, 22:35
Theres plenty of information about shuttles etc, indeed most everything you will encounter on the trail in th A.T Guide or the A.T. Companion.
I realise that people telling you not to worry to much is of little or no value, but in my younger days I backpacked around the World, and in EVERY occassion people who could not speak my language, went out of their way to help the poor young foreigner. I feel your trip will go a long way to alleviating your anxiety, and I for one, and I am sure there are many more behind me, would like to express my admiration for you and indeed anyone who has the courage to face up to their fears. Very good luck to you. Hope I will meet you on the trail.

TroutknuT
03-02-2013, 22:52
Hitching a ride was easier than I thought. First time never even got out of the parking lot and a car pulls in, Ron told his passenger to get out and for me to get in. I got a ride into town,wright to the super market with directions back to the road and the best spot to stand, and Ron wouldn't take a scent. Trail towns know what's up with all the strange smelly backpacker. Lots of introverts on the trail,may be the norm. Tired,hungry,smelly,hikers tend to look after each other. Wish you a great hike. Take lots of photos. P.S. killer bees don't do cold so that is one less thing on your mind.

prain4u
03-02-2013, 23:36
My 14 year-old son must wear Depends around the clock. So, I understand some of the issues.

If you need the Depends only overnight--and if you can deal with carrying the extra bulk in your pack---you can carry between 6-12 (or more) Depends at a time in your pack. You would then need to have someone ship you more via mail drops to post offices along the trail. (Yes, I understand the challenges that mail drops and town visits could pose for you with your anxiety disorders. However, finding stores that sell these items along the trail route--on a regular basis--would be a real challenge. So, I know of no option other than mail drops).

One of the biggest challenges that we have experienced with Depends is what to do with the "soiled" Depends. Usually no choice other than to double or triple bag them and carry them with you until you find a trash container (which sometimes may be a few days).

I am confident that you can deal with the Depends issue--it will just require creativity, patience and a bit of work.

Good luck and have a great hike!

Bronk
03-03-2013, 04:23
http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Data-Book-2012/dp/1889386782

The Cleaner
03-03-2013, 08:39
If you haven't done any shakedown hikes then you are in for a rude awakening.It stays cold for several months yet with a few warm days in between.Watching videos about backpacking and actually doing are something that will leave you hypothermic on a cold&wet March or April day......

The Cleaner
03-03-2013, 08:45
I don't think I've ever met a hiker wearing Depends.Or maybe I just couldn't tell.One thing I do know I have never found any used ones at the shelters I clean.This leads me to believe that folks with this problem don't make it too far before leaving the trail for other issues as well.....