PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep from having your gear stolen?

Byron Fairbrother
03-02-2013, 21:32
I'm leaving March 18th for my nobo thru. I'm as ready as I'll ever be, except for one concern. I plan on hiking into town once a week or so and doing my resupplies. How do you protect your pack and gear when most stores don't want you to bring them into their store? ... Gray Loon ...

Old Hiker
03-02-2013, 21:39
I always asked if there was a place I could put it for the cashiers to watch it, otherwise, I just dumped it in a cart and went shopping. I never had a store to say "No". If they did, I'd politely inform them I would be shopping elsewhere, with an accompanying WhiteBlaze thread discussion of the policy. :)

Byron Fairbrother
03-02-2013, 21:45
Thanks Old Hiker. I guess it was to simple. Maybe I'm just over thinking everything. I'm ready to start my adventure.

kayak karl
03-02-2013, 21:55
99% of the things you are worried about will be of no concern by the time you get to Neel Gap. you will have a whole new list of concerns by then :)

Train Wreck
03-02-2013, 21:58
In all seriousness, I have seen advice along the lines of "leave your stinky socks/dirty underwear/disgusting bandanna tied to the straps or hanging from the outside" as a gross-out theft deterrent.

CrumbSnatcher
03-02-2013, 22:09
I'm leaving March 18th for my nobo thru. I'm as ready as I'll ever be, except for one concern. I plan on hiking into town once a week or so and doing my resupplies. How do you protect your pack and gear when most stores don't want you to bring them into their store? ... Gray Loon ...
you will have 10 new best friends within the first 100 miles. in town you'll sit on the curb and watch multiple packs while your friends shop, then when they come out, you go shop and most likely someone will be watching your stuff. have a good hike

Lone Wolf
03-02-2013, 22:24
Thanks Old Hiker. I guess it was to simple. Maybe I'm just over thinking everything. I'm ready to start my adventure.

correct. "todays" hikers are way too anal and worrisome. you'll figure it out within the first 2 weeks. have fun

HikerMom58
03-02-2013, 22:34
correct. "todays" hikers are way too anal and worrisome. you'll figure it out within the first 2 weeks. have fun

Agreed..and just in case you are still worried about your pack being stolen by the time you get to VA. I have watched over packs as part of "trail magic" in Daleville. I'm sure others will help you out in that same way. :)

SassyWindsor
03-02-2013, 23:39
How do you keep from having your gear stolen?

The same way you keep from being attacked, robbed or worse.

Train Wreck
03-02-2013, 23:57

Stay at home?

Lone Wolf
03-03-2013, 00:05

:cool:......

Bronk
03-03-2013, 04:00
I only ever remember one time being told to leave my pack outside and that was at a restaurant in Atkins, VA. Many times you'll get a ride into town from a hostel or other service provider and there will be somewhere safe to leave your pack while you shop. Generally speaking, other hikers aren't going to steal your stuff because they have their own and don't want to carry yours...I only ever worry about it when I'm in town or camped near a road...though at times I've set up my tent and put my pack inside it and then hitched into town. Nobody will mess with a tent because they assume someone is inside it.

ChuckBrown
03-03-2013, 05:27
I generally leave it outside whatever establishment I'm entering. The only problem I had in 2000 miles was in Vernon nj. Where the trail crosses the road, in 2000, there was an ice cream stand about a tenth mile up the road. You could just about see it from trail crossing. I left my pack behind the sign/kiosk type thing and headed up the road for ice cream. Just as I was walking an ambulance came by with lights on. I failed to notice that it stopped at trailhead. When ice cream was done I walked backed to trail head to find a man , woman and child hovering over my pack. The man was going thru my outside pockets and had my pipe along with my stash in his hands. I yelled " hey that's my pack, what are you doing?" the man returned my stuff to its place and jumped up. Explaining that they were coming down the trail when ambulance was leaving, thinking they left a hikers gear behind, he was searching for identification. Not quite sure what to say, I said " well, do me a favor, give me five minutes to get up trail before you call the cops on me." he laughed a little and said he was not concerned about the weed, wished me well on trip and I have never seen them again.

Rain Man
03-03-2013, 11:16
I left my pack behind the sign/kiosk type thing and headed up the road for ice cream. ... The man was going thru my outside pockets and had my pipe along with my stash in his hands. ...

Here's a photo of some drug task force officers with their sniffing drug dog at the Tye River, VA trailhead parking lot, when I stopped at the kiosk there for a break in '09.

Or, by realizing such fears are irrational, similar to fears of "bears and snakes"?

The only thing I fret about being stolen is "irreplacable" gear. When I leave my pack somewhere, I take my wallet, camera, and cell phone with me. Then again, I've never had anything stolen on the trail nor personally know of anyone who has, in a decade of AT hiking so far. In fact, it's just the opposite in my experience. People have given me stuff.

Rain Man

SoCalled
03-03-2013, 17:26
Well, you didnt specified the kind of gears you carry.

If you leave a 700$ Cilo Gear or Kifaru backpack with a Hilleberg tent and Ray-Ban hangin to it, you might keep your credit card in your shoes just in case.

Otherwise, as Rain Man said, I also never had anything stolen in my entire camping/hiking experience. But I know it can happen, of course. Probably that in the recent years, kids are now so much more "gear oriented" that stealing might become a little more stressful. I dont know.

leaftye
03-03-2013, 17:34
Since I ride a motorcycle, I usually have a backpack. I haven't had a problem when putting the backpack in the rack under the cart.

Backpackers carrying a few pounds of expensive electronics doesn't help with the theft concerns.

goedde2
03-04-2013, 12:39

After all, it's just walkin'

1azarus
03-04-2013, 14:29
Here's a photo of some drug task force officers with their sniffing drug dog at the Tye River, VA trailhead parking lot, when I stopped at the kiosk there for a break in '09.

Or, by realizing such fears are irrational, similar to fears of "bears and snakes"?

The only thing I fret about being stolen is "irreplacable" gear. When I leave my pack somewhere, I take my wallet, camera, and cell phone with me. Then again, I've never had anything stolen on the trail nor personally know of anyone who has, in a decade of AT hiking so far. In fact, it's just the opposite in my experience. People have given me stuff.

Rain Man

that's a beautiful dog, Rain Man!!!

Dogwood
03-04-2013, 14:33

I have installed LoJack GPS and exploding anti-theft dye packets in all my packs!

RED-DOG
03-04-2013, 16:50
I have never had problems with stores i just put my pack in the buggy ( don't touch the pack while in the stores) and go about my buisness.

Rain Man
03-04-2013, 19:02

Yep. And the two officers took him around to each and every vehicle in the trailhead parking lot, but there were no "hits." They told me it wasn't hikers they were after, but the local "druggies" who found this spot away from town good for doing their deals. I wouldn't want to walk out of the woods into a drug deal going down, so more power to the officers and their beautiful dog.

Rain Man

Drybones
03-04-2013, 19:18

+1...that big boy could hike with me anytime.

Del Q
03-04-2013, 22:15
Maybe it stems from being raised in Philly..............am definitely in the paranoid camp, I do not like to leave my gear alone.

It needs me!

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2013, 23:09
Maybe it stems from being raised in Philly..............am definitely in the paranoid camp, I do not like to leave my gear alone.

It needs me!
i knew a few hikers that would stash the pack in the woods just before the road crossings and go shop/eat/whatever and then come back for it, i always thought that was a little crazy!

Swordpen
03-05-2013, 02:04
Learn to tie fancy knots that most wouldn't know, or be bothered tying.

Loop a string thru the zipper(s) of your most valuable compartment (s), then do this knot. if its not the same way as how you tied it, you know someone was messing with your pack.

WingedMonkey
03-05-2013, 09:33

Loop a string thru the zipper(s) of your most valuable compartment (s), then do this knot. if its not the same way as how you tied it, you know someone was messing with your pack.

Wouldn't it be too late by then?

Train Wreck
03-05-2013, 10:35
Wouldn't it be too late by then?

If it's tied very neatly with a double shoelace knot, your Mom was messing with it. :D

Blue Mountain Edward
03-05-2013, 12:11
Keep your pack close, dont leave it in the woods while you walk to town. Been in a restaraunt and Hennicles store that make you leave your pack outside. Despite my paranoa my pack was never stolen. Just use your street smarts and dont carry large amounts of money.

Coosa
03-05-2013, 12:56
I only ever remember one time being told to leave my pack outside and that was at a restaurant in Atkins, VA. Many times you'll get a ride into town from a hostel or other service provider and there will be somewhere safe to leave your pack while you shop. Generally speaking, other hikers aren't going to steal your stuff because they have their own and don't want to carry yours...I only ever worry about it when I'm in town or camped near a road...though at times I've set up my tent and put my pack inside it and then hitched into town. Nobody will mess with a tent because they assume someone is inside it.

This is NEARLY always true, but not absolutely always true. Back in ... the early 2000's there was a 'thru' hiker ... name slips me and it's just as well ... who carefully "lifted" gear all the way up until past Damascus where he got off the Trail ... he would take a shirt from one hiker, another piece of gear from another, a few dollars from another, a pair of socks ... and when confronted would swear up and down that he'd purchased the gear or that he knew nothing about anything missing. He was also a moocher and always out of food, as I recall. Just like anything else ... watch your back and find a few like-minded AT-friends to look out for and who will look out for you.

Monkeywrench
03-05-2013, 15:35
If I am in a larger town with a full-size grocery store with shopping carts, I put my pack on the bottom of the cart and just go shopping. If I am shopping at a little Mom & Pop store somewhere I leave my pack outside. Same if I go into a restaurant or diner.

I deal with the same issue when bicycle touring, when I have to leave my bike with all my worldly goods packed in panniers outside stores and restaurants. You can only do so much before keeping your stuff secure starts taking away from the freedom and enjoyment of what you're doing.

I keep the vital things with me - wallet, phone, camera - and accept that there's some very small risk that my stuff is going to get stolen. Then again, there'd also a risk that I may get hit by a bus while walking into town. but I'm still going to walk into town. There's a risk that a tree may fall on me in the middle of the night and kill me. There's a risk a bear is going to think me hanging in my hammock is a midnight taco treat, but I'm still going to do it.

Take reasonable precautions, but don't ruin your trip worrying about it.

illabelle
03-06-2013, 07:59
And here's what may happen if somebody asks you to watch their stuff for them while they shop or take care of business:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10200632759812006&set=vb.289396165900&type=2&theater

TheYoungOne
03-08-2013, 13:01
Sew this patch to your pack?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BIOHAZARD-CAUTION-SYMBOL-logo-yellow-black-embroidered-patch-/00/s/ODA3WDgwMA==/$(KGrHqVHJEIE92!zHzEnBPhtJtB-0g~~60_35.JPG (http://www.whiteblaze.net/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=caution+biohazard+patch&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=A7ifIs4tP0hs_M&tbnid=lzKO1F6YaPsuhM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FBIOHAZARD-CAUTION-SYMBOL-logo-yellow-black-embroidered-patch-%2F221181579626%3F_trksid%3Dp2047675.m1985%26_trkp arms%3Daid%253D444000%2526algo%253DSOI.CURRENT%252 6ao%253D1%2526asc%253D13%2526meid%253D575526598349 6421615%2526pid%253D100012%2526prg%253D1014%2526rk %253D1%2526sd%253D380552478798%2526&ei=Jxk6UczrN6jJ0QHmnYCAAw&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNETafXAfwwvkKNo0smm08OwtQ_o-w&ust=1362848417113351)

Nooga
03-09-2013, 13:04

Rain Man

Last year there were 2 food bags stolen in PA at a shelter (can't remember which one) which were hung on bear cables.

Dogwood
03-09-2013, 19:18
How do you keep from having your gear stolen?Have as your hiking companion a Rottweiler.

RockDoc
03-09-2013, 20:22
Thieves, like everybody else, have a shopping list. At the top of their list is cash, firearms, drugs, liquor, and electronics. They are mostly trying to get money to buy drugs. They are business people and they plan to re-sell the liquid asset merchandise like electronics, and other things that are popular on craigslist or eBay (most pawn shops have tightened up against stolen items). Used backpacking gear is pretty far down the list unless it is very expensive equipment (people can tell from the labels). Then, yes, it is a possible target for thieves, including other hikers. It's a good ideal to remove the Marmot and North Face labels and sew on one that says "Walmart".

In my experience, the worst thing that you can do with your backpack is throw it in the back of a pickup truck, and then get in the cab for a ride to/from town. I've had fully loaded Kelty frame packs fly out of pickup trucks TWICE. It seems that there's a strong wind vortex in there if the truck goes fast enough. I know this isn't related to theft really, but it is the only occasions that my packs have ever disappeared when I was very very far from home. In both cases I was extremely distressed, but I got them back; one had been taken to the Police Station (northern B.C.), and I showed up as the Police were going through my items...dirty socks and all.

Coffee
03-09-2013, 20:46
In my experience, the worst thing that you can do with your backpack is throw it in the back of a pickup truck, and then get in the cab for a ride to/from town.

I thought you were going to say that you put the pack in the bed and the guy driving the truck drove off! :eek:

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2013, 21:09

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordian_knot
So, in 333 BC, while wintering at Gordium, Alexander the Great attempted to untie the knot. When he could not find the end to the knot to unbind it, he sliced it in half with a stroke of his sword, producing the required ends (the so-called "Alexandrian solution"). That night there was a violent thunderstorm. Alexander's prophet Aristander took this as a sign that Zeus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus) was pleased and would grant Alexander many victories. Once Alexander had sliced the knot with a sword-stroke, his biographers claimed in retrospect[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordian_knot#cite_note-4) that an oracle further prophesied that the one to untie the knot would become the king of Asia

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2013, 21:12
Sew this patch to your pack?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BIOHAZARD-CAUTION-SYMBOL-logo-yellow-black-embroidered-patch-/00/s/ODA3WDgwMA==/$(KGrHqVHJEIE92!zHzEnBPhtJtB-0g~~60_35.JPG (http://www.whiteblaze.net/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=caution+biohazard+patch&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=A7ifIs4tP0hs_M&tbnid=lzKO1F6YaPsuhM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FBIOHAZARD-CAUTION-SYMBOL-logo-yellow-black-embroidered-patch-%2F221181579626%3F_trksid%3Dp2047675.m1985%26_trkp arms%3Daid%253D444000%2526algo%253DSOI.CURRENT%252 6ao%253D1%2526asc%253D13%2526meid%253D575526598349 6421615%2526pid%253D100012%2526prg%253D1014%2526rk %253D1%2526sd%253D380552478798%2526&ei=Jxk6UczrN6jJ0QHmnYCAAw&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNETafXAfwwvkKNo0smm08OwtQ_o-w&ust=1362848417113351)

No this one....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3103/2816761700_70ed14e855_z.jpg

RockDoc
03-09-2013, 21:19
I thought you were going to say that you put the pack in the bed and the guy driving the truck drove off! :eek:

Well that hasn't happened to me, but I'm sure it has happened to others.
But again, the stuff the bad guys want is probably the cash in your pocket, not the gear in your pack.

TheYoungOne
03-10-2013, 22:28
No this one....

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3103/2816761700_70ed14e855_z.jpg

WiseOldOwl I think you have a winner.

Rock Lobster
03-12-2013, 23:16
One tip: don't throw your pack in a car until you're in it. Carry it into the cab with you. Most of the "horror stories" I've ever heard were drive-offs like that. In town, ask to leave your pack with the hostel or motel if you're staying somewhere.

But to echo what most have said, I never really worry about it. The chances are pretty slim that anything will happen.