PDA

View Full Version : LT hike in april or may??

cricket71
03-02-2013, 21:48
I'm looking to do the LT in April or the end of May. my wife is finishing grad school 2nd week in May and i was thinking about waiting until then due to the fact that it will be a bit warmer than April, the problem is I'm getting cabin fever and 2 to 3 day hikes just ain't cutting it. if I go in April though I was wondering if I should carry a zero degree bag or a 20? oh the big decisions of life.:bananaany input on this would be appreciated. I don't plan on bringing alot of cold weather gear because I want to try to get the whole thing done in 2 weeks, I know 2 weeks is tight that's why I plan on going real light. the 20 degree is a featherd friends, tent is big agnus UL fly creek 1, pack is a gossamer gear g4, pocket rocket or my featherlight, silk mid weight base layer if needed, patagonia nano puff, cubin fiber poncho, a sawyer filter, and 2 gatorade bottles no bladder. oh yaeh my pot is an open country perculator coffee pot, what can I say I like a good cup at night after dinner. the zero bag is a montbel and I wear a sport kilt. should I get the map or just carry the guide book? thanks again folks.

Deadeye
03-02-2013, 22:00
You're going to hear a lot about this. In April, the LT is still in winter conditions. Snowpack on Mt. Mansfiled historically peaks in Mid-April. Much of the trail will be impassable, and you're not going to get the whole thing done in 2 weeks in April - there ain't that many people that can do a 2-week end to end in mid summer when the trail's in as good shape as it gets. Once you get into May, you're in mud season, and hiking will damage the trail and lead to further erosion. The trail is considered closed until Memorial Day. If you need to get out, and I don't blame you, stick to southern New England or the Mid-Atlantic states.

Slo-go'en
03-02-2013, 23:10
Don't even think about it. With the amount of snow we're getting this winter it may not all be gone in April. The mud will definately be knee deep until June. And then the black flies swarm...

cricket71
03-03-2013, 07:38
thank you for the wise words, southbound it will be. Being a native New Englander I long for the pine covered mountains and beaver ponds but if I must I will head south to stretch my legs. Last year I went from Hoyt rd. in N.Y. to rt. 12 in Woodstock VT. in 12 days but unfortunately I had to return to work. I guess it will be september then barring any unforseen huricanes or freaky storms that come this way that time of year, thanks again.

k2basecamp
03-03-2013, 08:42
September the trail will be perfect! Have a great time !

Deadeye
03-03-2013, 09:02
September the trail will be perfect! Have a great time !

Ditto! Best time for the LT.

mrcoffeect
03-03-2013, 10:17
For some reason I love the smell the forest takes on in the fall once the leaves have dropped and begin to give off that slightly musty smell. the northern sections of the LT. can be pretty quiet this time of year too, even the leaf peepers have gone for the year.

jmitchell
03-04-2013, 23:15
Consider the "other" LT, the Loyalsock Trail in PA. Late April and May are a good time to hike it. Lots of waterfalls, many views, plenty of streams, hemlock forests, Sones Pond, and the Haystacks Rapids are some of the highlights.

http://www.lycoming.org/alpine/