PDA

View Full Version : ice climber dies in avalanche on mt washington

hikerboy57
03-02-2013, 22:38
http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/21444105/2013/03/02/ny-resident-killed-in-mount-washington-avalanche

Lone Wolf
03-02-2013, 22:42
hope he knew the risks

hikerboy57
03-02-2013, 22:45
hope he knew the risks
solo no ropes, he knew the risks.

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2013, 22:52
Really sucks, not sure what else to say. My thoughts go out to his family...way to young to leave this life...

Odd that the article emphasized that he was solo climbing without a rope. If the avalanche had enough force to move him 1000 feet down the gully then I doubt that having a rope or a partner would have made much of a difference.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2013, 22:54
solo no ropes, he knew the risks.

oh well....

Slo-go'en
03-02-2013, 22:57
Its been a bad year so far. Ideal conditions for avalanches this winter.

MuddyWaters
03-02-2013, 23:06
Deaths among extreme skiing, climbing, and mountaineering participants, arent that uncommon.

Its a choice people make.

Most in those communities know someone, or of someone, who has died, or at least been severly injured.

Even to the best of the best, accidents happen when you live on the edge.

I can recall several big name extreme skiers that died in avalanches or plummeted over cliffs over the past two decades.
They were the best, took the best precautions, but sooner or later the truth is, things happen when you take risks.

Sucks for their family, but they died doing something they loved.

hikerboy57
03-02-2013, 23:08
Really sucks, not sure what else to say. My thoughts go out to his family...way to young to leave this life...

Odd that the article emphasized that he was solo climbing without a rope. If the avalanche had enough force to move him 1000 feet down the gully then I doubt that having a rope or a partner would have made much of a difference.
youre right ropes may not have made a difference. but there are risks inherent in soloing just about anything.the younger you are the farther away those risks seem

The Cleaner
03-03-2013, 09:01
In the last few years several hikers have gotten into trouble down on the Southern portion of the trail and needed SAR.Last fall one only needed a body bag to finish his hike.It's one thing to read about hiking in your warm living room and another to survive a late season snow storm on the trail.It's still cold out there and you could die from making just one wrong decision....

JAK
03-03-2013, 09:41
Life isn't risk free, but we need to try and accurately and objectively calculate risk/reward. This guy may have done all that but, damn, 24 years old. Better than on a highway, but whatever it is you are doing, try and be careful out their folks. Think of your loved ones.

coach lou
03-03-2013, 11:33
Around his age.. I learned how powerful water was.

Liminal
03-03-2013, 11:39
"...they died doing something they loved." I am not a serious risk taker but I have always told my children that if I die on the trail... That I will have died doing something I love... (not that I am anxious, mind you :rolleyes: )