PDA

View Full Version : I know everyone has to be tired of my questions but after this no more, I hope

Thumper 2006
06-17-2005, 00:35
Okay here's the deal, I started my SOBO thru hike ealier this month but was injured in the 100 mile wilderness due to a ankle sprain (thought it was broken but the Doc said I had some pulled tendons). He told me to take a month off but I dont give a Sh**t I am ready to be back out there, I miss it too much and daytime television is full of moral degenerates, so passing time has gotten me to the point of breaking. My question is what should I do? One of the members of this site "bookburner" has been very helpful this is what he suggested I do, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion. As it stands now I will be going to Harpers Ferry, hiking north to Katahdin, then going back to HF and Hiking to Springer. Another option is to go all the way be to ME get a taxi all the way to Jo-Mary road and continuing my hike from there (Very expensive from SC). Should I do that? I will be going solo so I would like to at least have someone out there knowing that I am alive. Will there be NOBO's in Harpers Ferry to hike with? Also, I have experienced ME mosquitos, I probably could have gotten a ride home from them and the bug season is out in full force. I really like the idea of flip flopping, but I want to be considered a legit thru hiker, if I succeed will I? So the question is should I start in ME or WV?

DMA, 2000
06-17-2005, 00:41
WV makes sense. You'll be amidst a great many hikers, which is nice if you want that. What's more, Maryland and Pennsylvania are relatively easy states, so it might be a good way to ease in.

If you do the whole trail, you're a 2000-miler. If you stay home, you're not.

Lone Wolf
06-17-2005, 04:24
Go to HF and go north. You will have company and the terrain will be easier on your ankle.

Blue Jay
06-17-2005, 07:49
The most important thing is get out there. Where you start and where you end is completely unimportant. Grease your feet in the morning and a few times a day. No friction, no problem.

MOWGLI
06-17-2005, 07:53
Grease your feet in the morning and a few times a day. No friction, no problem.

Blue Jay:

Expound on this please. What do you use and how do you use it?

A-Train
06-17-2005, 10:05
If I were you, i'd listen to the doc, be patient, and go back out there in a couple weeks starting from where you left off. You're not losing anything by starting a SOBO in july, one of the best times to be in maine. Honestly I think the folks who start in late may/june 1st are a little nuts but that's just me.

But yes, you have a much greater chance of reinjuring your ankle in maine than you do in maryland, but of course, that theory isn't perfect either, because you'll eventually be in PA rocks county, which is no walk in the park.

Dharma
06-17-2005, 11:10
I agree with A-Train and say listen to the doctor. Take your time in your recovery and on the trail. Turn off the TV; that crap's not going to help you heal any faster.
I really like the idea of flip flopping, but I want to be considered a legit thru hiker, if I succeed will I? It's only you who judges you... will you consider yourself a real thru hiker?

NotYet
06-17-2005, 11:59
Hi Wonderer,

I hope you are able to heal and get back out there. I'd definitely listen to the doctor. Healing completely now could save you from getting torn up worse on down the trail.

If you want to start at Harper's Ferry, by all means do so. However, if you're worried about continuing Sobo at that time, don't be concerned at all! Maine is great then. We started our Sobo on July 18 and I don't think I'd ever want to start earlier than that unless I had to! The black flies were dead by then the year we hiked and the mud wasn't an issue by then, either.

I hope your trip is great! Good luck!

Ender
06-17-2005, 12:17
Listen to your doctor. Hurt my foot on the AT in 1998 and didn't even go see a doctor. That injury led to me having to pull off the PCT in 2003. Let your foot heal properly. If not, you'll probably reinjure it and not finish the trail. A few weeks of rest is worth it if it means a few more months in the woods.

Patience, grasshopper.

ga>me>ak
06-17-2005, 20:17
Also, if you continue now without letting it heel properly, maybe you will make it, maybe not. However, what if you do permanent damage to your ankle, how will it affect your hiking future???
Just a thought

Blue Jay
06-17-2005, 20:42
Blue Jay:

Expound on this please. What do you use and how do you use it?

I use Skintrips, but any skin lubricant including dollar store vaseline will work. It's just common sense, blisters are caused by friction. Lower the friction, less wear on skin. I also have a theory that it helps calluses from sloughing off. Since calluses are primary natural protection for your skin, anything that helps is all good. Now if you want blisters, wear leather.

stupe
06-18-2005, 18:28
Now if you want blisters, wear leather.
Can't agree with that. I wear leather Dunhams, and rarely get blisters. I think the socks you wear are at least as important as your shoes.

Skyline
06-18-2005, 19:05
If you do decide to go back to Maine, it's probably cheaper believe it or not to get a lift into Jo Mary Rd. (or Jo Mary Lake) from Millinockett via float plane than to get a car shuttle. I summitted in 2003 with two guys who said they'd done just that and it only cost $35.

bearbait2k4
06-18-2005, 21:01
Whatever you decide to do, whether it be West Virginia to Maine, or Maine south, you really need to let your ankle heal. You've got a few days of hiking, either way, before you get to some serious ankle-turning territory. Honestly, if you don't give a "sh**t," then why bother getting out there again if you are at risk of doing further damage, and being permanently knocked off the trail?

Askus3
06-19-2005, 07:16
I agree - You should listen to the DR. Then my opinion is pick up where you left off in Maine. Another reason that nobody mentioned. Yes the trail is tougher, but July in MD & PA - the heat & humidity can be oppressive, thundershowers regular. You might have a few warm days in Maine but when you are up at 3-4,000 feet it isn't that hot. From Shenandoah to Bear Mt., CT (just as you enter MA) you are never over 2,000 feet in elevation, so you get little break in the heat. And there are still uphills. Even if you start at JoMary Road, after you get past Barren Mt. (several nifty climbs between (joMary Road & Barren Mt. to knock you for a loop-take them slow, be happy with 8 mile days to finsih up the 100 mile wilderness) you have 4-5 days with only two moderate climbs before you get to Little Bigelow. Then you get to real mountains but you have a few days there to get tuned up and back into the rhythm with easy hiking.
Also, if you reach CT by end of July and you are really feeling good. You might then flip-flop to Springer working your way north. Heck, you can hike the Harpers Ferry to Salisbury, CT section well into Dec. without running into any snow as you are at low elevation. I feel elevation has much more to do with weather than north VS south.

ksdave48
07-09-2005, 13:37
It's understandable you want to be on the trail. You are 21 I think and you probably will heal fast. If you start out not healed up your ankle will tell you quick enough and you won't have a choice in the matter. And you be reinjured maybe worse. My advice- Ice it, test it. If you can't go accept it. No sniveling. Good luck and be smart. There's still a lot of nice weather ahead.