PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Jacket weight

joshgray
03-03-2013, 02:46
Hey all,

Starting my NOBO thru around March 22. Accuweather currently says highs in the 60s, so maybe another warm early spring.

I just bought http://www.hornytoad.com/mens/tops-tees/quarterflash-fleece/h2661131/ but I have a week to return it.

Wondering - do you think the jacket is going to be too warm to use? It weighs about a pound, and there's another jacket I'm looking at that is significantly lighter, but also isn't as warm.

My current potential upper body layering is Smartwool NTS midweight zip tee, Starter dri-star tee, (fleece jacket), rain jacket. I also have a microweight silk shirt to sleep in that could be added as a second base layer.

Thanks!

gollwoods
03-03-2013, 05:00
i use a light fleece hoody, and add a down vest, which is of course light and makes a good pillow and is very warm.
one example here
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=down+mens&x=-911&y=-51&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

moldy
03-03-2013, 09:46
This jacket is not too warm, you should bring it. There are no weather stations on the Appalachian Trail in the higher elevations in the South. Weather predictions are for the lower elevations where the people's is. Don't count on accuweather. That is why if you are hiking the AT in very cold weather in the PUD's with several climbs each day you should plan to sleep at lower elevations. There is a huge difference between 4,000 feet and 2,000 feet. Mail all your heavy stuff home when it warms up in late May.

joshgray
03-03-2013, 10:11
Hmm, sounds like I could either keep this one OR trade it in for the lighter one + a down vest, which would probably equal out to about the same weight. Any reasoning for one over the other?

joshgray
03-03-2013, 10:16
For the ounce counters, I don't have a scale but guestimate it to be about 18oz, based on a reported 20oz Large size (this is a Medium).

The Cleaner
03-03-2013, 10:28
I traded my fleece for a Patagonia Nano Puff.At only 9 ozs its warmer& lighter.Hike in a lite wool baselayer w/windshirt or rain jacket for protection from wind,which does blow a lot and greatly affects your core temp.Throw all the synthetic baselayers in the trash or a bounce box for May weather....

DeerPath
03-03-2013, 10:33
There are no weather stations on the Appalachian Trail in the higher elevations in the South. Weather predictions are for the lower elevations where the people's is. Don't count on accuweather. That is why if you are hiking the AT in very cold weather in the PUD's with several climbs each day you should plan to sleep at lower elevations. There is a huge difference between 4,000 feet and 2,000 feet. Mail all your heavy stuff home when it warms up in late May.

Take a look at this site for current weather conditions at the shelters. http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

Here's a nice Android App written by Shutter for current and predicted weather at the shelters. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=src.ATSheltercast

Lone Wolf
03-03-2013, 10:36
Hey all,

Starting my NOBO thru around March 22. Accuweather currently says highs in the 60s, so maybe another warm early spring.

I just bought http://www.hornytoad.com/mens/tops-tees/quarterflash-fleece/h2661131/ but I have a week to return it.

Wondering - do you think the jacket is going to be too warm to use? It weighs about a pound, and there's another jacket I'm looking at that is significantly lighter, but also isn't as warm.

My current potential upper body layering is Smartwool NTS midweight zip tee, Starter dri-star tee, (fleece jacket), rain jacket. I also have a microweight silk shirt to sleep in that could be added as a second base layer.

Thanks!
bring it. accuweather don't mean squat. you're gonna see temps in the 20s. i guarantee. don't worry so much about weight

Drybones
03-03-2013, 13:59
If you want fleece I'd go to a thrift store, I bought like new stuff for $2.00 and less, unbelievable selection. If cost is not a concern I'd go with a down jacket.

daddytwosticks
03-03-2013, 14:01
The Weather Channel was predicting a colder than normal March this year for the southern part of the trail. :)

Drybones
03-03-2013, 14:05
The Weather Channel was predicting a colder than normal March this year for the southern part of the trail. :)

That's so the much hotter than normal last year will "average" out.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 15:54
Its not 300 weight Polartec... Moldy and LW are right...

joshgray
03-04-2013, 00:04
Its not 300 weight Polartec...
So in your opinion, is it not heavy ENOUGH?

Thanks for all the input, I'll hang onto it for a few more days and visit the Goodwills around town. If nothing else is to be found - or unless someone links me to one at a reasonable price that will be better - I'll be wearing the Horny Toad.

Tinker
03-04-2013, 02:20
If you want fleece I'd go to a thrift store, I bought like new stuff for $2.00 and less, unbelievable selection. If cost is not a concern I'd go with a down jacket.

Fleece is for hiking, down is for camp. Both are good (and down can be worn during rest stops while on the trail as long as it isn't raining).

But:

Fer cryin' out loud - get full zips on both - you won't regret the extra 1/2 oz. Quick ventilation and easier on and off are well worth it.

fredmugs
03-04-2013, 09:18
Do this just for *****s and grins: Print out the long range forecast on Accuweather every single day until leave and watch how wrong it is. Accuweather is good for the next 18 hours tops. I don't rely on that site for a week long section.

colorado_rob
03-04-2013, 10:02
Hmm, sounds like I could either keep this one OR trade it in for the lighter one + a down vest, which would probably equal out to about the same weight. Any reasoning for one over the other? I'm not a total lightweight-nut, but it sure helps to keep weight down, and fleece is not very weight efficient. Still fleece is a wonderful fabric, comfy, breathes as good as anything, so I always carry one. but: that model you show looks like at least 200 weight. I like the versatile combination of a 100 weight zip-neck pullover, tons of them out there cheap, plus an ultralight jacket like either the Montbell ultralight down (7.5 oz) or synthetic (9.6 oz) jacket like the thermawrap. The MB thermawrap jacket with the 100 weight fleece makes a very versatile combo, either or both, total weight right about a pound. Warmer and more versatile than the single 200 weight fleece.

joshgray
03-04-2013, 14:12
Let's see... that Horny Toad cost me about $45, I'm currently looking around a Goodwill, and that Montbell is somewhere in the vicinity of $160. I think we're on different trains.

Question on quality of fleece: I'm standing in front of a number of Old Navy and Sonoma fleece jackets. Worth the $5 over a brand respected for outdoor gear? Will they even keep me warm?

Also staring at a down jacket from NY & Co, actual duck down and nylon. Heavy as hell. I'm laughing.

joshgray
03-04-2013, 14:17
OK, I lied. Just bought the down jacket. Gonna remove the arms, liner, and some other stuff to lighten it up.
Still have to decide if I wanna keep the Horny Toad or go with something a little lighter. UGH decisions.