PDA

View Full Version : Change of plan, need advice

ole slo
03-03-2013, 13:23
I was set to start a NOBO thru hike with my grandson on March 20. Last week I had a skiing accident which left me with four broken ribs and a collapsed lung. 8 (6-8) weeks of recovery and 2 weeks of reconditioning put a starting date near May 1. I like the way the following leapfrog schedule would allow us to finish at Harpers Ferry.

Springer to HF May 1 thru July 31
Hanover to Katahdin August 1 thru Sept 30
Hanover to HF October 1 thru early Nov

My questions relate to the timing of cold weather/warm weather gear swaps. If any swaps are needed.

Can I start the beginning of May with warm weather gear and make one swap at Hanover around August !?

Thanks for your help.

mother goose
03-03-2013, 13:55
I don't know your age but I started the first of May in 1988 at 40 yrs old with the old heavy pack system (only kind there was then) and climbed K on Sept 24 or 25 can be done.

Carry-On
03-03-2013, 17:28
I did a leapfrog hike starting April 19th, and had a few cold nights, especially in the Smokies, but it got hot fast after that. I think your plan could work if you have some way of getting warm, like carrying a stove-you can make a hot water bottle if needed.

My schedule was:
Springer nobo to Bland/Bastian VA April 19-June 26
Kent, CT nobo to Katahdin June 30-Sept 8
Kent, CT sobo to Bland/Bastian VA Sept 11-Dec 9

Datto
03-03-2013, 19:37
Why not just go Springer to Harpers Ferry, then Katahdin south back to Harper's Ferry?

Makes the trip have one less travel spot.

Datto