PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Dam - NewFound Gap

SunDancer
03-03-2013, 14:40
Getting ready to do a section hike for the first time; Fontana Dam - NewFound Gap. Wondering if those with experience can advise whether to do it Northbound or Southbound and how steep are the climbs? Also seeking information on shelters & water sources.

wornoutboots
03-03-2013, 17:46
Sobo is the easier route. Not sure about the current water sources, but with this Winters snow fall, you should be ok., call the backcountry to get te up to date info. I would skip Silers bald shelter & stay at Double Springs if your looking at that option. The climbs aren't too bad heading sobo, the steepest will be up Thunderhead to Rocky top. Great Hike, Enjoy!!

Ox97GaMe
03-03-2013, 17:57
given the winter conditions, you should plan to hike this SOBO. You dont want to get to NFG and find out that the road is closed. There arent many optinos for you if that happens. If you get to Fonatans and there are snow issues, you have a shelter to stay at. As has been mentioned, most people would prefer to hike south because it is predominentlly downhill from Clingman's to Fontana.

MuddyWaters
03-03-2013, 20:45
Hardest part of the AT in the park, IMO, is the steep, rocky, up and downs between thunderhead and Derricks knob.
Doesnt matter which way you do that.
Doesnt look bad on the profile, but is more taxing than it looks.

Downhill, overall, is certainly easier from NFG to Fontana
Water shouldnt be problem, and shelters just depends on how far you want to go per day.
Dont forget you have to make reservations

RF_ace
03-03-2013, 21:15
Sobo is much easier

bigcranky
03-03-2013, 21:15
Isn't the Newfound Gap road closed on the Cherokee side right now from that big mud slide? If so, the only access is from Gatlinburg. Ox's advice is good, start at Newfound Gap so you can be sure of getting there. Also, that's the easier direction.

Don't discount the long slow climb from NFG to Clingman's Dome. I did it in late November a couple of years ago and it was icy and slick. And the descent to Fontana can be a knee-buster, for me anyway.

illabelle
03-03-2013, 21:31
Sundancer, if I understood you right, you said this is your first section. You didn't really say when you plan to do this, but I'm assuming you mean this spring - March/April. I wouldn't recommend this section to be your first. It will be cold. It will be full of thru-hikers. You will have no easy way to bail out if you need to.
Additionally, Newfound Gap Road on the NC side is not expected to reopen until June. It will be a big pain to go around to Gatlinburg.
I suggest doing a section south of Damascus. Much easier, you'll have cell service and road crossings if you need to bail out, and the thru-hikers won't be there for a bit.
If you decide to do the Smokies, then yes, you have to have reservations for the shelters, and yes, southbound is way easier than northbound.

MuddyWaters
03-03-2013, 21:50
We ran into a group of guys at Clingmans Dome last fall that said they did NFG to Fontana the year before in ~2 days.

They were planning to do Clingmans to Davenport. I dont think they made it past Icewater. They staggered in there at 8pm, and went back the way they started the next morning.

Seriously, if in shape, with a reasonable pack, its downhill basically, shouldnt be too hard. Just be prepared for weather and FULL shelters. And expect the section between Derricks and thunderhead to be more taxing than the profile indicates.

Kerosene
03-04-2013, 11:03
I concur with the advice above: SOBO from Newfound Gap, with pretty good climbs up to Clingman's Dome and Thunderhead. Double Springs is a good shelter, then I'd shoot for Spence Field and out.

Joker4ink
03-04-2013, 11:16
I there a lot of snow on the trail right now?

whiteout
03-04-2013, 11:26
When is your start date SunDancer? I've only done northbound 3 times. Make sure you don't push yourself and enjoy.

SunDancer
03-04-2013, 14:22
When is your start date SunDancer? I've only done northbound 3 times. Make sure you don't push yourself and enjoy.

Sorry, forgot to include the date of the hike 4/6-4/11, and from what I've researched that should be plenty of time. Definitely not in a rush, I'm a Wilderness EMT and want to get familiar with the trail. I'm in shape and prepping with some vertical hikes - really looking forward to going up to Clingman's Dome. This web site is a great resource, after reading posts about water filtration I've decided to go with Aqua Mira. Definitely will have my winter gear with me, looks like it's going to be a snowy March in the Mtns., otherwise I'm good to go - hope to see you on the trail!

MuddyWaters
03-04-2013, 20:42
Sorry, forgot to include the date of the hike 4/6-4/11, and from what I've researched that should be plenty of time.

Its beyond plenty of time , unless there is snow or such.
Decent conditions, figure 4 days at most, unless you just like to sit around half the day.
And there is nothing wrong with that either.

Maybe one day
03-04-2013, 22:02
NFG to Double Springs is about 6 hrs with a nice break to admire view of clingmans dome at the tower. Spence to Russel field is 1.5 - 2 hrs..Russel Field to Fontana is a good day's hike..I have atempted the Spence to Double Spring section 3 times...twice had to bail due to weather in the winter, and the most recent time a member of the party needed to get back. I have a personal goal to get that section completed this calendar year!

MuddyWaters
03-04-2013, 22:22
We went NOBO thru the park.

But I recall leaving Fontana at ~8am and getting to Mollies around 2pm, stopped and spending night there. This part all uphill. Could have made Russel but didnt. Russel to Fontana downhill, would be much easier.

2nd day I recall morning being pretty easy, eating snack at Spence field and wasting about an hr there. Lunch on Thunderhead, Derricks at 3pm. Left Derricks at 4pm, and was at Double springs by 7pm. This is the day that surprised me, I was beat by Double Springs. I could have walked 10 miles more on flat ground, but I couldnt have done 500 ft more vertical. Actually, I was beat by Derricks.

3rd day, was at Clingmans ~10am, left at 11am, NFG after lunch, and spent that night at Icewater.