PDA

View Full Version : Left the oven on - now my stuff smells like bear food

jgreerblack
03-03-2013, 15:15
Looking for advice.

I purchased my new pack for my hike starting March 22 - Pretty excited to no longer be using a 90 liter and am the proud owner of a 60 liter - I brought in all my stuff to make sure it would it etc.

That night I went out to celebrate at the neighborhood watering hole - I went to my back to sleep on the couch of my old apartment so I couldn't finish moving out the next day - I got home late - a little tipsy - and very excited about the my adventure - So i did the reasonable thing: I decided to cook a frozen pizza

I woke up to a weird smell and my room mate informing me that I left the pizza in the oven and that we need new batteries for the smoke detectors. Luckily there was no fire.

The problem: all my camping supplies has a slight smell of REALLY burnt food - I was wondering if anyone had any advice for getting smells out, neutralizing the smells, similar stories, insults etc.

thanks

tdoczi
03-03-2013, 15:20
i would think by about april 1st plenty of other smells will have overpowered the burnt pizza

WingedMonkey
03-03-2013, 15:24
Looking for advice.

I purchased my new pack for my hike starting March 22 - Pretty excited to no longer be using a 90 liter and am the proud owner of a 60 liter - I brought in all my stuff to make sure it would it etc.

That night I went out to celebrate at the neighborhood watering hole - I went to my back to sleep on the couch of my old apartment so I couldn't finish moving out the next day - I got home late - a little tipsy - and very excited about the my adventure - So i did the reasonable thing: I decided to cook a frozen pizza

I woke up to a weird smell and my room mate informing me that I left the pizza in the oven and that we need new batteries for the smoke detectors. Luckily there was no fire.

The problem: all my camping supplies has a slight smell of REALLY burnt food - I was wondering if anyone had any advice for getting smells out, neutralizing the smells, similar stories, insults etc.

thanks

By the time you get to the other side of the Smokies all your gear will smell like campfire smoke from all the wannabe thru-hiker bonfire builders.

:sun

Lugnut
03-03-2013, 15:27
.....but until then you'll probably have a herd of bears following you. :p

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 15:35
I cant find it on a shelf but I use this to remove dead animal smell in homes... read directions and be very sparing and wear a good safety mask - do not inhale...

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/168611/Ozium-7000-Air-Sanitizer-Original-Scent/?Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=724C7A5C-3154-E211-8AE9-001517B1882A&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=22416889676&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=44938349516&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Googlepla-_-Cleaning+Air_Fresheners-_-168611

Maui Rhino
03-03-2013, 16:41
Try rubbing your gear liberally with baking soda. Stick your gear in a large plastic storage tub for a week or so, and it should be scent free. Another option is to buy a bag of activated charcoal from the aquarium section of walmart or a pet store and stick it in the bin with your gear. You can also buy some commercial scent killer for hunters, or make some Homemade Scent Killer. There are several recipies on the web. That will definitely knock the smell back, but may leave little white residue drops from the baking soda that will brush off. It won't harm anything, but the hydrogen peroxide used in many homemade scent killer recipies will cause metal to corrode/rust quickly.

fredmugs
03-03-2013, 16:59
Fabreeze????

FatHead64
03-03-2013, 17:29
Try rubbing your gear liberally with baking soda. Stick your gear in a large plastic storage tub for a week or so, and it should be scent free. Another option is to buy a bag of activated charcoal from the aquarium section of walmart or a pet store and stick it in the bin with your gear. You can also buy some commercial scent killer for hunters, or make some Homemade Scent Killer. There are several recipies on the web. That will definitely knock the smell back, but may leave little white residue drops from the baking soda that will brush off. It won't harm anything, but the hydrogen peroxide used in many homemade scent killer recipies will cause metal to corrode/rust quickly.

Definitely watch out for Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) - we use vaporized Hydrogen Peroxide (in lieu of steam) to sterilize in the pharmaceutical industry. It REALLY likes stainless steel. It is nastier stuff than most people realize.

FatHead64
03-03-2013, 17:30
Definitely watch out for Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) - we use vaporized Hydrogen Peroxide (in lieu of steam) to sterilize in the pharmaceutical industry. It REALLY likes stainless steel. It is nastier stuff than most people realize.

Oops - sometimes in lieu of steam...

rocketsocks
03-03-2013, 17:42
I think just a good cleaning will do the trick, that and put outside in the Sun...thus, thee old saying..........."Air it out", oh and time, time is a great eraser.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 18:08

...."rubbing your gear liberally with baking soda"? might change the color... and you still have to wash it out. how about making a spray solution? Diluted

The charcoal in a bin may work but will take time....

"commercial scent killer for hunters, or make some Homemade Scent Killer. There are several recipies on the web".... how does an anti bacteria remove smoke?.... well it doesn't!

Hydrogen Peroxide? - he would be better off with airing it out.

If he had access to one of the old air cleaners with an ozone generator...that in a large tub with the gear is priceless... We use a commercial unit for dead animals and curry infused homes...

Or stop by Belfor and talk to the manager... you might get it for free.

rocketsocks
03-03-2013, 18:31
curry infused homes...

I know the smell.

fins1838
03-03-2013, 18:35
Places that sell ice hockey equipment usually sell a spray that will eliminate most any odors. Anyone who has played hockey for any period of time can attest to how bad (especially gloves) can smell. It will definetly take care of yor odor.