PDA

View Full Version : Pearisburg southbound to Damascus

wren again
03-03-2013, 16:33
Looking for experiences, observations, cautions, amazing places to watch for between Pearisburg and Damascus. I appreciate any insights or information you can pass on. Thank you! :)

wornoutboots
03-03-2013, 17:37
No "cautions" along this stretch, it's a Great hike!! Just take it slow & enjoy. The Grayson Highlands are the highlight of the southern tip of this section. The resupplies are easy. In Atkins you can look forward to hiking right to the Barn for great meals right & a small motel across the street. The next day you'll hit the settlers museum. This section passes through many enjoyable pastures. Have a Great Hike!

Slo-go'en
03-03-2013, 17:45
There is a lot of frequent up and down in that section as the trail cuts "across the grain" of the Appalachian ridge line. If you look at a map, you'll see there is something of a jog in the major ridge lines there between NC and the blue ridge of Virginia. But it's a reasonably nice section cutting across farms in the valley crossings.

Southerner
03-03-2013, 18:36
Here are some cool spots, though not an exhaustive list:

Angels Rest -- Your first miles south of Pearisburg will be a huffer to the top of Pearis Mountain, but you are rewarded with a great viewpoint of the New River Valley (about a 200-degree view basically north).

Pearis Mountain -- Once atop Pearis Mountain, you will run the ridge for the next several miles. There are about three places where the rocks or power lines break through the trees enough to give good views, mostly toward the east. In addition to the viewpoints, Pearis Mountain is a nice ridge with some old growth trees, grassy areas, and the "tunnel of green," even in winter, courtesy of mountain laurel.

Woods Hole Hostel -- I've never been there, but the people who I've spoken to who have rave about the place. Apparently, it was a historic cabin that the original proprietors found in the middle of the woods, bought, restored, and hosted hikers in for a couple months of the year. Now the granddaughter of the original proprietors and her husband runs the hostel. You can probably find reviews of it on other threads.

Dismal Creek / Falls of Dismal -- The AT follows this creek for several miles beginning at about Wapiti Shelter. Despite its name, the creek is pretty with deep laurel / rhododendron thickets lining its banks. Falls of Dismal is located 0.3 miles off the trail, but worth the diversion. The falls aren't especially high, but have a lot of water flow over a couple of big steps. The entire area near the falls is pretty.

Laurel Creek -- Just a nice, creek side spot and a pleasant valley, even if right beside a road. The creek is a bold mountain stream, and there are several nice flat areas for camping. The bridge over Laurel Creek was built using hand tools and makes for a nice picture.

Garden Mountain -- A rough, rocky ridge forming the eastern rim of Burkes Garden, a beautiful bowl called "God's Thumbprint" and the original choice for the Biltmore Estate (the landowners wouldn't sell, especially to a Yankee). The best vantage point is a rock outcrop (I think it was called Eagle Rock if I am remembering correctly) that is about 1/2 mile south of Va. Rte. 623.

Chestnut Knob / Chestnut Ridge -- The shelter on Chestnut Knob is an old fire warden's cabin that is pretty high for the area -- about 4,400 ft. There are nice views of Burkes Garden if you walk to the edge of the field to the north. Chestnut Ridge has several nice viewpoints on its partially open ridge.

Va 42 to Va 610 -- As a nice change of scenery, the AT passes through some farmland, usually with crazing herds in the fields. The trail passes on a narrow right-of-way, so no camping, but still a pleasant, pastoral setting. The village of O'Lystery in that area used to a favorite hiker stop, but apparently there was some abuse of privilege as there are now prominent "do not tread here" sort of signs.

The Barn Restaurant, Atkins -- This restaurant is located right on the AT at the US 11 crossing (and within sight of I-81). Their "home cooking" style food is perfect for hungry hikers, especially their Hiker Burger. The prices are very reasonable, too. Unfortunately, there's not much else running at Atkins, so don't count on it as a major re-supply unless you intend to go several miles off-trail.

Settlers Museum, Va. 615 crossing -- The museum is a nice, quaint stop for about 15-20 minutes, and the trail literally goes through the middle of the place. I especially liked the school house.

Partnership Shelter / Mt. Rogers Nat'l Rec. Area Hqs. -- This shelter is one of the true Cadillac shelters on the AT (people of course have mixed opinions about just how nice a shelter should be). It has two levels, a nice latrine, and, most notably, a shower. It's also within the delivery zone for pizza restaurants in Marion. The HQ building has a cool store and display area, including a drink vending machine inside (it used to be outside). The signs about needing a permit to stay there are out-of-date.

Comer Creek Waterfall -- We're not talking Niagra, but it is a nice spot for a snack or lunch break, and it's virtually right on the trail.

The Scales -- The trail passes right through a cattle grazing pin (about an acre in size). It's probably cooler when it's actually being used by livestock. There is a pit toilet there.

Stone Mountain -- The exposed ridge just southbound of the Scales. It's the first of several mountains in the Grayson Highlands that is open and thereby has great views.

Grayson Highlands State Park / Wilburn Ridge -- Exceptionally beautiful area with mountaintop pastures, rocky, volcanic peaks, and alpine vegetation. The AT along Wilburn Ridge skirts off to the right avoiding some of the cooler peaks in the area -- not sure why. The AT has a couple of cool spots like a semi-cave its passes through, but I would recommend going over the spectacular peaks on the blue blazed trails north of Rhododendron Gap (or taking some time and doing both).

Mt. Rogers -- Just after Thomas Knob Shelter, which is a very neat spot in its own right, you'll reach the Mt. Rogers Spur Trail. It's a half-mile to Virginia's high point. There's no view, but the peak is in an other-worldly, dark alpine forest. Would be worth the diversion if unique vegetation or peak-bagging interests you.

Whitetop Mountain -- The AT hits Buzzards Rock on the south end of Whitetop, which is an exceptional viewpoint. However, I would recommend taking the Whitetop Road (the old AT) then following the ridge down to Buzzards Rock. That would keep you on the open ridge much longer than the new AT.

Virginia Creeper Trail -- I would highly recommend following the VCT into Damascus from the first AT junction near the Luther Hassinger Trestle. There's nothing wrong with the AT, but the VCT goes beside the stream all the way into town crossing on dozens of old trestles and going through Taylors Valley, a cool little mountain village. Having bikers buzzing past you can get old, but it's much more scenic than the corresponding AT section. You may even like the VCT so much that you'll want to rent a bike and be shuttled up to Whitetop after you get done hiking.

Wow, that list got huge! But, it is a good section of trail, and you should enjoy it immensely!

Jeff
03-03-2013, 19:11
Indeed you should plan to stay at Woods Hole Hostel your first night out. It's located 10 trail miles south of Pearisburg. Neville and Michael will make you feel right at home...one of the most unique hostel experiences on the AT.

wren again
03-03-2013, 19:52
Southerner, I really appreciate the time you took to give me such great information. Mucho appreciado!

ratfaceraines
03-03-2013, 21:15
if you are in need of shuttle services, feel free to call upon don (out of pearisburg)--540-921-7433(RIDE)

klpicktown
03-04-2013, 11:11
STAY AT WOODS HOLE! of course this is after you catch your breath at angels rest

Malto
03-04-2013, 11:13
Just finished the Aktins to Pearisburg section this weekend. Southerner had a great summary. I just ran the elevation numbers for this section and it is almost average for the state of VA and the AT in general, 234' gain per mile average. Some great views especially near Pearisburg. I missed staying at Woods Hole due to schedule issues. The area around Dismal Creek is one of my favorite sections of the 1200 or so completed AT miles. Still need to do the section south of Atkins, maybe we'll cross paths when your on your hike. Enjoy.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2013, 12:50
My only addition to Southerner's excellent summary is to point out that Chestnut Knob shelter is mouse-infested. Too bad because it's a nice setting on a hill in an open field. Its water source is also far away.

As Southerner said, Dismal Creek is a misnomer - it's very picturesque. I hiked along it in snowy conditions (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=79617) and loved it.

20148 20149

JEBjr
03-04-2013, 13:05
Not much one could add to Southerner's post. But.... Trimpi Shelter has a fire place. That's pretty nice this time of year.

yellowsirocco
03-04-2013, 13:11
Don't forget about Trent's Grocery (gas station). It is a half mile off the trail and good for picking up Snickers bars and a cold drink.

flemdawg1
03-04-2013, 13:36
My only addition to Southerner's excellent summary is to point out that Chestnut Knob shelter is mouse-infested. Too bad because it's a nice setting on a hill in an open field. Its water source is also far away.

Spent the night there last May, didn't notice any mice. The spring-fed pond (1.8 miles South) is a pretty nice swimming hole. Spent about 2 hours there cleaning up and listening to the frogs.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2013, 14:11
That's encouraging Flemdawg, especially since your experience there was more recent than mine. I also stayed in May but maybe it was before the snakes came out!

Almost There
03-04-2013, 18:40
I plan on going from Dickey Gap to Pearisburg at the end of May. Finishing up Va south of Shenandoah!

Del Q
03-04-2013, 22:18
Southerner nailed it............DO NOT miss ordering Pizza at the Partnership shelter.

Woods Hole is awesome

Blissful
03-04-2013, 22:25
Whitetop Mtn - if you miss the AT and follow the rd, you miss the gorgeous campsite by the rushing spring. One of the best sites in the south, imo

Dismal Creek Falls is nice but there is a road opposite it and people like to stop there and look over at you and your campsite. Forewarned if you choose to stay there

Woods Hole is great.

Settler museum folks love hikers and will give you a private tour

wornoutboots
03-04-2013, 23:17
Dismal Creek looked like it's namesake when I passed through there last year. There was a huge 3-5 man tent right near the falls that had been there for sometime & it was cover in branches or something & smashed up next to a tree??? I wouldn't stay there, looks like a real "local" hotbed???

Kingbee
03-05-2013, 00:59
+1 on Dismal Falls. I didn't see any sign of tents, but looks like some good campsites there.

Hikerhead
03-05-2013, 03:23
Dismal Falls and the Wapiti Shelter give me the webe gebe's...I wouldn't camp in that area. :eek:

klpicktown
03-05-2013, 09:30
+1 on Dismal Falls. I didn't see any sign of tents, but looks like some good campsites there.

I crossed below the falls and stayed on the opposite side bank. Awesome little campsite under the overhanging trees - except I almost packed up and left when 2 locals hung around for a bit longer than I thought was normal since they weren't doing anything but watching me cook dinner

wornoutboots
03-05-2013, 14:17
Trents Grocery is a Must in my book! Its a perfect resupply a short 1/2 mile down a scenic quiet country road. They were excellent folks, have nice deli, make a mean burger & they let you charge your needed gadgets. Every person who pulled into that little backwoods store talked with me for a bit & even offered me a ride even though I didn't need one + they have a huge bench out front with a back on it that seats about 25 hikers :D

peakbagger
03-05-2013, 16:28
Its worth reading the register at the shelter north of Burkes Garden, whne I went through there were all sorts of commentary regarding the poor condition of the trail along the ridge. After walking over it I didnt really see what the complaint were about except that the trail traverse tilted rock slabs that can be slippery when wet. To me it was typical of the conditions I hike on all the time in the whites.

At one point the resident mouse population was kept in check by a resident snake. I do remember the water sources to be somewhat poor for the Chestnut Knob shelter, I wouldnt want to go there when its dry.

Cookerhiker
03-05-2013, 21:44
Its worth reading the register at the shelter north of Burkes Garden, whne I went through there were all sorts of commentary regarding the poor condition of the trail along the ridge. After walking over it I didnt really see what the complaint were about except that the trail traverse tilted rock slabs that can be slippery when wet. To me it was typical of the conditions I hike on all the time in the whites. ...

It's been 8 years since I hiked there but I recall that ridge as having rocky footing. Perhaps the complaints were because up to that point, the trail hasn't had many, if any, rockfields. As you hike NOBO, you encounter more with the worst being north of Bailey Gap Shelter. And later comes PA....And still later comes NH...