PDA

View Full Version : how big did yours get?

JHG008
03-03-2013, 16:35
Did you have to increase your shoe size along the trail? If so how many miles were you into the trail? Should I plan on increasing a half size or so?

VTATHiker
03-03-2013, 17:03
I wore a size 10.5 (US mens) before the trail. Expecting my feet to swell a little, I started the trail with an 11 - and they definitely felt slightly too large to begin with. By the time I made it to southern Maine (going sobo, so about 200 to 250 miles in) it was painfully obvious that I needed a shoe at least a half size bigger. Whenever I would stub my toebox it would destroy my big toe. I lost the left big-toe nail somewhere in Vermont. Bought a size 12 online (LaSportiva Wildcats), picked them up in Mass and they lasted the rest of the trail comfortably. If I do another long trail I'll start with a shoe that's one full size bigger than my normal shoe. Its been 2.5 months since I finished and I'm back to a size 10.5. As always, your mileage may vary...

evyck da fleet
03-03-2013, 17:16
Increased a half size the first two times I replaced my shoes in Damascus, VA and DWG. Stayed at the same size when I replaced my shoes in NH. I didn't have to go up a size at those points out of necessity but rather because my shoes had worn out and the next size up felt more comfortable.

leaftye
03-03-2013, 17:35
My feet grew about 1.5 sizes. I was almost certainly wearing shoes that were too small before I started doing long hikes.