PDA

View Full Version : Trail etiquette question...Snoring

BobW
03-03-2013, 20:48
Ok..I'm the guy who can snore the siding off houses. I wear a sleep machine at home to keep my wife from smothering me in my sleep. Making enemies because of my snoring is one of my biggest fears with my upcoming multi-week hike. Most of my hikes are solo or 2-3 days. I generally grab ear plugs from work if I know I'm going to be around people and throw them in my bag.

What is trail etiquette for people who snore badly? Do I stay in a tent away from shelters? Do I always carry ear plugs for people and make sure to put them in mail drops? Do I simply warn people and ask what they want me to do?

Old Hiker
03-03-2013, 20:52
One reason I tent - I know I snore really loud.

Chaco Taco
03-03-2013, 20:55
Honestly, if you are going to sleep in shelters, I would let other hikers know that you do snore. You can never go wrong with tenting

Ok..I'm the guy who can snore the siding off houses. I wear a sleep machine at home to keep my wife from smothering me in my sleep. Making enemies because of my snoring is one of my biggest fears with my upcoming multi-week hike. Most of my hikes are solo or 2-3 days. I generally grab ear plugs from work if I know I'm going to be around people and throw them in my bag.

What is trail etiquette for people who snore badly? Do I stay in a tent away from shelters? Do I always carry ear plugs for people and make sure to put them in mail drops? Do I simply warn people and ask what they want me to do?

yellowsirocco
03-03-2013, 20:55
If people want to sleep in the shelters then they have to deal with snorers. If people don't like what is going on in the shelter then they need to pitch their tent. Complaining about problems in the shelter is just as bad as causing them. I say this as a person who sleeps in shelters a lot.

Now to be friendly you might want to tent and warn others. Carrying some spare ear plugs would also be friendly of you.

johnnybgood
03-03-2013, 20:59
If you have a tent then put it up where you want,you're not the only hiker that snores loudly. If you decide to sleep in a shelter ,pass out the earplugs .

Lone Wolf
03-03-2013, 21:01
shelters are first come, first served. even if you snore. you're entitled to space

Drybones
03-03-2013, 21:02
Listing to others snore is the price you pay to sleep in shelters, thier choice, dont let it bother you, enjoy your hike.

RedBeerd
03-03-2013, 21:15
I met a guy on the LT who carried a quart size ziploc filled with the foam ear plugs. He let us know he snored incredibly loud and offered all of us plugs. We accepted. I always carry them anyways if I plan on staying in a shelter. If it does concern you, and don't mind carrying an extra ounce, bring some plugs for the unprepared shelter sleepers :)

Rasty
03-03-2013, 21:29
It's just snoring!

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 21:37
Well I have been down this post before - I have had three separate operations on my throat and nose... I still use cpap. I still suffer from snoring..... Hammocking helps as your head and throat is elevated. Earplugs not so much....

Loosing weight helps too ... I have done it once... but it gets very hard as we age.

best to get tested.

jesse
03-03-2013, 21:38
you are not obligated to pass out ear plugs.

Wise Old Owl
03-03-2013, 21:43
It's just snoring! Sorry Rasty loud snoring as the hours go by becomes apnea .... its very serious... people pass out driving behind the wheel in broad daylight... one of the second symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea

aficion
03-03-2013, 21:49

Being a snoring shelterhater, I sleep elsewhere. I sleep better knowing I'm not keeping the mice up all night.

SCRUB HIKER
03-03-2013, 22:19
Some noises I've heard in shelters, like loud conversation and hocking loogies and slamming Crocs together at 5:45 a.m., or singing along to Israeli pop songs with your iPod on full blast in the Fontana Hilton at 2 a.m., can be helped. Snoring can't. I think most people understand that when you sleep in a shelter, dealing with snorers comes with the territory. Any complaining is usually of the joking variety.

Slo-go'en
03-03-2013, 22:42
It certinally is your right to stay in a shelter if there is room, but it is also very inconsiterate to keep everyone awake all night. You won't make many friends and anyone who spends a night with you will do thier best to get well ahead of you. I've been known to pack up and leave a shelter in the rain if a known cronic snorer shows up. It can be that bad.

Just about everyone snores a little, but the ones who do it the loudest and most consistant all night long always seem to be the ones to fall asleep first.

MuddyWaters
03-03-2013, 22:53
I can say with certainty, you wont be the only snorer in the shelters.
Many older guys snore. Especially heavier guys.

Although I was in a shelter with a skinny older thru hiker once, that amazed everyone with the noise he made, and he was the first asleep too. I could hear him thru my earplugs.
He also obviously needed a cpap, he would stop and start breathing. When he stopped, people had to wonder if he died.

Almost There
03-03-2013, 22:56
If you sleep in shelters you deal with whatever comes your way. Don't like it use your own tent, tarp, etc.

CarlZ993
03-03-2013, 23:46
I can say with certainty, you wont be the only snorer in the shelters.
Many older guys snore. Especially heavier guys.

Although I was in a shelter with a skinny older thru hiker once, that amazed everyone with the noise he made, and he was the first asleep too. I could hear him thru my earplugs.
He also obviously needed a cpap, he would stop and start breathing. When he stopped, people had to wonder if he died.
'Wonder' or 'wish?' :)

I don't snore. I always bring two pair of ear plugs (in case I lose a pair). I do a lot of camping & backpacking w/ the Boy Scouts. We got a couple of snorers (adults) that are quite impressive.

Something I have never figured out... why do the snorers always fall asleep first?

Train Wreck
03-03-2013, 23:48
'Wonder' or 'wish?' :)

I don't snore. I always bring two pair of ear plugs (in case I lose a pair). I do a lot of camping & backpacking w/ the Boy Scouts. We got a couple of snorers (adults) that are quite impressive.

Something I have never figured out... why do the snorers always fall asleep first?

They don't want to hear themselves! :D

Wendigo
03-03-2013, 23:58
I understand side sleeping helps with snoring, plus use of nasal strips. Hope these additional tips are of help.

wcgornto
03-04-2013, 00:06
Whether one snores or not, it is prudent to carry ear plugs to protect oneself from the sound of other snorers. On my AT hike, this worked for about 90 percent of the shelter and hostel snorers around me. As for the other 10 percent, no amount of sound barrier would have worked.

I heard that for one of the twin shelters in Pennsylvania, someone had put up signs on them designating one for snorers and the other for non-snorers. I didn't see these signs, though didn't stay at all of the twin shelters.

Swordpen
03-04-2013, 01:29
If you are asking, you already know the answer.

The Golden Rule: "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

Also: The Bad Boy Rules, 8 of them:

1. Have simple manners & civic behavior.
2. Courtesy, decorum, politeness, respect, tact.
3. You cannot legislate morality.
4. Never comment on a bigot.
5. Stay away from religion & politics.
6. Say happy talk stuff.
7. Do not offer opinions unless asked.
8. Watch out for your back!

Hope you have a great hike. :)

Monkeywrench
03-04-2013, 08:45
shelters are first come, first served. even if you snore. you're entitled to space

Yes, you're entitled to shelter space. But if you know your snoring is going to make it difficult for everyone else in the shelter to sleep it would be considerate to set up your tent or hammock and sleep elsewhere.

Drybones
03-04-2013, 09:30
I spent a night in a GSMNP shelter and believe I was the only one (or was I) of about 15 people that didn't snore or make some kind of noise. One lady was in misery all night, must have been dreaming she was being attached by sombies, really loud and painful sounding. One guy was dreaming he was having a phone conversation with someone, kinda funny to listen to. We had the typical bass snorers and there was one guy I actually enjoyed listening to, his snoring sounded like some type of high pitched musical instrument. So, it's not only snorers that make noise at night. One lady was wearing her head light and it came on and shined in our eyes until someone finally woke her up and turned it off.

snorz
03-04-2013, 09:43
As an award winning snorer,I usually tent out there.I would think ,that if you are a light sleeper,it's in your best interest to carry some plugs!

HikerMom58
03-04-2013, 09:57
I spent a night in a GSMNP shelter and believe I was the only one (or was I) of about 15 people that didn't snore or make some kind of noise. One lady was in misery all night, must have been dreaming she was being attached by sombies, really loud and painful sounding. One guy was dreaming he was having a phone conversation with someone, kinda funny to listen to. We had the typical bass snorers and there was one guy I actually enjoyed listening to, his snoring sounded like some type of high pitched musical instrument. So, it's not only snorers that make noise at night. One lady was wearing her head light and it came on and shined in our eyes until someone finally woke her up and turned it off.

That is the funniest thing I have ever read!! OMGOSH!! Ahhhhh ha ha!! Whew!!!!!!

Lone Wolf
03-04-2013, 10:54
Yes, you're entitled to shelter space. But if you know your snoring is going to make it difficult for everyone else in the shelter to sleep it would be considerate to set up your tent or hammock and sleep elsewhere.

i don't agrre

whiteout
03-04-2013, 11:37
The world is full of problems that will never be solved. Go walk your own pace and enjoy.

Grampie
03-04-2013, 12:06
I snore and if I have a long hard day it can get real loud. I warn the folks who share a shelter with me that,"I snore." Most of the time I sleep in my tent but in bad weather I will sleep in a shelter.

"Rush"
03-04-2013, 12:19
Snoring and farting are just part of it. I think the ear plugs are a nice gesture but I am not about to start handing out gas masks.

juma
03-04-2013, 12:31
This guy I saw in the Smokies had an answer - His sleep shirt had two tennis balls sewed into the back - made for a startling appearance. He also had nose strips and said he kept the hair in his nose clipped really short to allow unrestricted air flow. He also slept with his head in the sleeping bag - thus the trail name, Bagworm. He still vibrated the shelter floor like it was hooked up to a gentle power saw.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2013, 12:39
I understand side sleeping helps with snoring, plus use of nasal strips. Hope these additional tips are of help.

Maybe the nasal strips work for some snorers but not for me - just ask my GF, LOL. On a few occasions, my own snoring has woken me up.

Most of my recent AT hikes have been off-season so I've had shelters to myself when I'm not tenting. I warn everyone that I snore and it seems that the usual response is (1) "I snore too" or (2) I'll sleep through it.

At home, I've used nose plugs sold by Provent (http://www.proventtherapy.com/index.php). Not cheap, but they're pretty effective in that you inhale through your mouth and exhale through the nose. But they're not real comfortable in hiking conditions.

dzierzak
03-04-2013, 12:48
I heard that for one of the twin shelters in Pennsylvania, someone had put up signs on them designating one for snorers and the other for non-snorers. I didn't see these signs, though didn't stay at all of the twin shelters.

Tumbling Run has the signs. Don't know if they are honored at all times... ;)

Rain Man
03-04-2013, 13:01
Tumbling Run has the signs. Don't know if they are honored at all times... ;)

Ask, and ye shall receive. My hiking partner, Toast, at Tumbling Run last October, in front of the "Non-Snoring" sign. We hiked the southern half of PA.

As far as complaints about snorers, I'd find complaints more convincing if they were first made (or just as sanctimoniously made) about stinkers. If someone snores, you easily can wear earplugs. If someone smells, you can't wear noseplugs! Not to mention, stink is much easier to prevent than snoring.

Having said that, I usually hammock away from any victims, as I snore sometimes (am told I do not always snore).

Rain Man

Hops53
03-04-2013, 13:42
My wife and I hike together. If I snore, she kicks me in the ribs. This has worked well over the years. Maybe you should:
1. Announce you are a snorer
2. Hand out earplugs to everyone (if they are used ones, you'll have less takers and more for the next shelter)
3. Give the person(s) next to you permission to hit you or kick you if you snore.

flemdawg1
03-04-2013, 13:44
I'm a very loud , but considerate snorer. I always announce before turning in, "If I'm snoring really loud, leave me the hell alone. I'm tired."

BobW
03-04-2013, 13:49
Just about everyone snores a little, but the ones who do it the loudest and most consistant all night long always seem to be the ones to fall asleep first.

I can't speak for all, but Wise Old Owl touched on...I have apnea so if I sleep 8 hours I get about 5 actual hours of sleep. I build a sleep deficit so when I hit the rack...I'm out! Generally if I'm breathing - I'm snoring.

BobW
03-04-2013, 13:54
Thanks all for the advice. Guess like everything else in life there are two sides to the coin. My plan will be to stay in my tent - I generally don't have a problem doing that anyway unless it's super rocky. I'll keep a cache of earplugs in my bag.

SunnyWalker
03-04-2013, 19:43
Go ahead and snor away BobW. I'm not going to complain, not with all the farters, talkers, noisemakersatnight, cookersmakingnoise, wind, rain, etc.

Starchild
03-04-2013, 20:44
While you should be able to use the shelters, also weight that against the alternatives. If your tent is easy to set up and near by it may be better to do that if it is not a big deal to you. If that doesn't work I think notifying everyone and providing earplugs is a great way to go under the circumstances, hopefully including making it obvious where you are placing the extra ear plugs incase some decides to take you up on your offer in the middle of their sleepless night.

But really if it is not a big deal to you tenting would bring such Karmic returns.

Peace

Cookerhiker
03-04-2013, 20:57
Go ahead and snore away BobW. I'm not going to complain, not with all the farters, talkers, noisemakersatnight, cookersmakingnoise, wind, rain, etc.

Hey, are you talking about me?:D

MuddyWaters
03-04-2013, 21:01
And dont forget those who have an alarm set on their phone that goes off at 3am, wakes everyone up but them.

Chaco Taco
03-04-2013, 23:12
why? Its public space and its first come first serve. It would also be considerate to not smoke in shelters but people still do it. What about folks who do not observe the "hiker midnight" thing. If I stay at a shelter and want to stay up later than the half of the others dont I have that right too?

wornoutboots
03-05-2013, 00:02
It's Threads like this that make me love my tent even more..................If that's possible :)

wornoutboots
03-05-2013, 00:05
why? Its public space and its first come first serve. It would also be considerate to not smoke in shelters but people still do it. What about folks who do not observe the "hiker midnight" thing. If I stay at a shelter and want to stay up later than the half of the others dont I have that right too?

I've never heard of a hiker midnight "rule", it's just a saying. If you stay in a shelter, you get what happens in a shelter & normally that includes very little sleep :D

Train Wreck
03-05-2013, 00:53
Should you then carry and offer clothespins to others if you're a farter?

Swordpen
03-05-2013, 01:33

No, just a butt plug (sorry, I couldn't resist). :D

flemdawg1
03-05-2013, 13:50

Being considerate is giving up some "rights" that you may have for the benefit of others. You are Considering the feelings/comfort of others above yourself.

i.e. I have the right to call you profane or unpleasant names, but in an effort to be considerate I refrain from doing so.

Sly
03-05-2013, 13:56
Non-snorers have no more right to a shelter than a snorer does.

It only makes sense if you're bothered by snoring, or farting, or people staying up late or waking up early, or smoking, or pee cups, or complainers, or cell phones, or kindles, or mp3 players, or this or that, it's best to stay in your tent, tarp or hammock.

Don H
03-05-2013, 15:14
Out of courtesy to you fellow thru-hikers tent away from shelters or else you will get complaints.
Don't ask me how I know this (refer to trail name below;) )

Drybones
03-05-2013, 15:27

Good one TW!

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 06:34
I've never heard of a hiker midnight "rule", it's just a saying. If you stay in a shelter, you get what happens in a shelter & normally that includes very little sleep :D Thats why I did not use the term, rule, but it is thrown around in shelters as an unspoken rule that when it gets dark, its quiet time.

aficion
03-06-2013, 07:01

If you are going to sleep in the home of the mice, you should bring mouse size earplugs, if you snore, and mouse size clothespins if you fart. If you are a member of the Junior League, you should bring a small gift for the mice and send them a thank you note as well.

Train Wreck
03-06-2013, 07:36
If you are going to sleep in the home of the mice, you should bring mouse size earplugs, if you snore, and mouse size clothespins if you fart. If you are a member of the Junior League, you should bring a small gift for the mice and send them a thank you note as well.

Now that's a class act if I ever saw one! :banana

aficion
03-06-2013, 07:41
Now that's a class act if I ever saw one! :banana

My box is so full of crayons , I don't hardly know where to start. Probably just got up too early.

Train Wreck
03-06-2013, 07:42
My box is so full of crayons , I don't hardly know where to start. Probably just got up too early.

Life is short, use them all!

aficion
03-06-2013, 07:47
Life is short, use them all!

Good advice! I'll keep it in mind as I hike on through the snow.

kayak karl
03-06-2013, 08:02
i don't sleep in shelters, because i don't like listening to the people complaining about the snoring.

mrcoffeect
03-06-2013, 10:04
And dont forget those who have an alarm set on their phone that goes off at 3am, wakes everyone up but them.

Thats my favorite.
But luckily for me im a raging insomniac, and only require five or six hours of sleep to be fully rested and can function for days on end only getting three or four hours even if it is broken sleep.

Drybones
03-06-2013, 10:21
i don't sleep in shelters, because i don't like listening to the people complaining about the snoring.

+1...I'd rather hear snoring than complaining any time.

Drybones
03-06-2013, 10:25

Only reason I can think of to carry a gun on the trail.

FlyPaper
03-06-2013, 10:43

Most have said that snoring comes with the territory when staying in shelters. There is "snoring" and then there is "chain-saw cutting tin" snoring.
Everyone who sleeps in shelters expects some snoring. If, however, you are of the latter variety, I'd suggest taking one for the team and sleeping in a tent.
Especially if the weather is good. You'd probably get volunteers to help setup and take down your tent.

No ear plugs I've ever used are sufficient to allow sleep when there is apnea level snoring nearby.

wornoutboots
03-06-2013, 11:57
Thats why I did not use the term, rule, but it is thrown around in shelters as an unspoken rule that when it gets dark, its quiet time.

Gotcha, it never fails though especially the farther into the hike you go, as soon as your about to sleep or just get to sleep, here come the night hikers in to start cooking their dinner.

Man I love my tent :)

BobW
03-06-2013, 14:02
There is "snoring" and then there is "chain-saw cutting tin" snoring.

Close...I have been told it's like "dueling chainsaws". I plan on trying to make some friends so tent it will be.

lemon b
03-06-2013, 17:09
Generally I tent. If cold, wet, and lazy and in a shelter I don't worry about it and use earplugs. Plus I'm going to be real tired. Reality is a crowded shelter has farting, snoring, talking, mice, getting up to pee, and more and we all do something.

Furlough
03-06-2013, 18:03

I agree with this. Also, if you are a habitual shelter dweller bring your own ear plugs, you will need them sooner or later. That is just good common sense.

Sly
03-06-2013, 18:21
Thats why I did not use the term, rule, but it is thrown around in shelters as an unspoken rule that when it gets dark, its quiet time.

Right now it's dark about 7:30PM!

aficion
03-06-2013, 18:51
+1...I'd rather hear snoring than complaining any time.

You've come to the wrong place.

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 18:59
Right now it's dark about 7:30PM!
or 6 up here.

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 18:59
You've come to the wrong place.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA yep

ChinMusic
03-06-2013, 22:25
If you have a tent then put it up where you want,you're not the only hiker that snores loudly. If you decide to sleep in a shelter ,pass out the earplugs .
I am on a thru right now. I have about 6 bagged pair of earplugs to pass out in the Smokies. I plan on tenting nearly all other times on the trail.

Rain Man
03-07-2013, 11:41
I am on a thru right now.

BTW, best wishes to you, ChinMusic, on your thru-hike! Do you have an online journal?

Rain Man