PDA

View Full Version : ILBE Main Pack Questions

marylandmymaryland
03-03-2013, 20:49
Hey y'all, I just had a few questions and was looking for answers, as well as comments and feedback from everyone.

I recently purchased Marine Issued ILBE Main Pack (http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GEN-2-USMC-MARPAT-ILBE-MAIN-PACK-Backpack-w-Straps-Belt-Radio-Pouch-Lid-EXC-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNDQ2/$(KGrHqVHJEoFDOLn43(IBQz5hMuPJw~~60_57.JPG) (it was cheap and I think it looks pretty danged badass!) for an AT trip that I've been planning for a few weeks now knowing that it was going to be heavy and rather large at 4500in3 / ~73L. I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet, but according to a few sources I've found online, it's listed at 7.5lbs. I've trimmed as much fat off of the bag as I can (extra straps, some of the MOLLE webbing, the rubber zipper handles, etc) and i think I probably have the bag down to just north of 6lbs. Is this going to hinder me in a huge way when backpacking? I'm a college athlete (rugby) and 6foot 185lbs so I'm fairly physically fit

I'm going to be using an ENO hammock and rain fly, have fairly "normal / standard" backpacking clothing and outerwear, carrying water in a 1.5 liter gatorade bottle, and going with pouched fish and chicken as well as knorr sides and dried fruit and jerky. My sleeping bag may be a pound and a half heavier than something that's top of the line, but for the most part, all of my other gear is lightweight/standard. I guess what I'm asking or getting at is, will this extra 5-8lbs from my pack and sleeping bag going to be a big issue?

Comments, Questions, Criticisms, etc. welcome and encouraged.

Feral Bill
03-03-2013, 20:52
If you drop that pack in the woods, how will you ever find it?

bigcranky
03-03-2013, 21:07
No, plenty of hikers have had successful long hikes with 6 or 8 pound (empty) packs. You're young and in shape, and you can handle it just fine. Go, hike, have fun.

A Marine your age would be humping 80 or 100 pounds in this thing.

Tuckahoe
03-03-2013, 21:46
Many folks will tell you what they think you should do and what you should carry. Quite a bit will be good advice, however I would suggest that you take the time to take your pack and the gear that you intend to carry and get out and do a few shake down hikes, even if they are just day hikes or over nighters. This will give you first hand knowledge of the weight you will be carrying. You'll realize what you can do with out and what you will want to hang onto.

jeffmeh
03-03-2013, 22:05
Can you do it? Most certainly. On the other hand, lightening the load for a 2200 mi. walk has its advantages, even for the young and fit. I would carry a much lighter pack.

marylandmymaryland
03-03-2013, 22:24
If you drop that pack in the woods, how will you ever find it?

ironically enough, i actually already sewed on a stripe of blaze orange to the cover. :p

No, plenty of hikers have had successful long hikes with 6 or 8 pound (empty) packs. You're young and in shape, and you can handle it just fine. Go, hike, have fun.

A Marine your age would be humping 80 or 100 pounds in this thing.

and i am grateful for what those boys do. god bless 'em all.

Many folks will tell you what they think you should do and what you should carry. Quite a bit will be good advice, however I would suggest that you take the time to take your pack and the gear that you intend to carry and get out and do a few shake down hikes, even if they are just day hikes or over nighters. This will give you first hand knowledge of the weight you will be carrying. You'll realize what you can do with out and what you will want to hang onto.

i'm actually only headed out for a 5 day hike, so i suppose it's an extended shake down.

Can you do it? Most certainly. On the other hand, lightening the load for a 2200 mi. walk has its advantages, even for the young and fit. I would carry a much lighter pack.

i'm not even thru-hiking :rolleyes: just doing an 80 miles stint of Harpers Ferry to MD-PA line and back to Harpers Ferry. i'm just getting out of the car camping/day-hike genre and moving in to backpacking.

i don't really know what i was looking for here. maybe someone that uses this pack regularly?

oroy38
03-05-2013, 18:13
I've used the ILBE before and I have a Kifaru MMR (older 4400cu.in. model) that weighs probably 9lbs empty, which is my "go-to" for a wide variety of trips, especially when I did most of my backpacking in California where a bear can is required. The one thing I've noticed with these packs, and similar packs, is that the suspension is designed to carry a lot of weight, usually 50+lbs. Packs designed to haul a lot of weight will generally try to distribute the weight as evenly as possible, and will be designed to cause the least amount of discomfort. I say "the least amount of discomfort" because hauling 80lbs is uncomfortable, regardless of what pack you're using. As a result, lighter loads feel like they're floating.

You might find that an overbuilt pack like the ILBE (or Kifaru if you ever venture that way) is a blessing for someone just getting out of car-camping or for someone, like me, who's clumsy/hard on gear. I have an overbuilt pack because I don't want to have to baby it. I can drag it through dirt, have it take a tumble down a rough hill, bushwhack, have it fall off a cliff (all of which has happened to my pack), without wondering if it will end up torn to bits.

You and I have similar builds (I'm 5'9" 170lbs, athletic, I just graduated from University), and none/very little of my gear is what I would consider "top of the line" or "ultra-light" but I've never had any real discomfort hauling loads with packs like these. Trim weight where you can, pack your gear effectively, adjust the pack properly, and you won't have any problems at all. Sure, it's always nice to have a lighter set up, but an extra few pounds isn't going to ruin the trip for you. I doubt you'll notice it.

marylandmymaryland
03-07-2013, 10:00
thank you! that's just the stuff i wanted to know. i'm absurdly clumsy as well, so it's good to know that the pack can take a beating.

Uncle Walkie
03-16-2013, 09:00
Hey man I use this pack at work (I am an active duty Marine, infantry). I personally don't like the pack but it is extremely durable and spacious. I bought a the Gregory Baltoro 65 last year and love it. My two cents worth though:go with it, use it on some shake down hikes and decide for yourself. For many years I used surplus gear (or my gear from work) and walmart gear until I could afford to buy some quality stuff. Bottom line I always advise people to get outside with whatever gear you have or can obtain cheaply.

Semper Fi

Donde
03-16-2013, 13:10
As long as you don't mind hauling you'll be fine. You really only need 50L-65L for a thru, and could get that for a third of the weight, and $150. Have you tried any other ones just to get an idea? I only ask 'cause you could not get me back under my MOLLE for love nor money. That being said it absolutely can meet your needs, as long as it is comfortable for you.

leaftye
03-16-2013, 13:27
It'll work, but the reason some of us go with lighter loads is so we can enjoy the trip like it's a pleasant walk in the mountains instead of a grueling march spent staring at the ground and wiping sweat from our brows. A couple years ago I had a revelation. I had done one section with a heavy load. I didn't think much of the section. It just was. A while later I did it again with a very light load. Suddenly I saw flowers, interesting plants, bugs, birds, mammals, clouds and so much more. I hadn't noticed those things before because I was dealing with the load on my back. With the light load, I wasn't distracted from enjoying the walk.

I don't care if it's 40 miles or 3000 miles. I want to enjoy the walk. I used to think I'd enjoy the challenge of a torturous trip, and I probably would, but I'd rather enjoy the type of trip I can take in my surroundings because I have a load so light I can easily forget it's on my back.

You already have your pack and most of your gear. It's on the heavy side, but it'll get you out there. Don't let that stop you. Lightening your load takes time...and experience. Go get you some experience.