PDA

View Full Version : Do you hike off trail?

ATBuddy
03-03-2013, 21:02

FatHead64
03-03-2013, 21:20
In the interest of LNT, I generally try to keep myself on trail. However, even in the pursuit of my weekly hike, there is a place where I cross between trails, down a steep dune. As is the case with crossing a pristine clearing with no clear trail, I try to randomize my crossing so I don't beat down a new trail. I have already observed in my small state park, hiking weekly as I said, a place where a small "game" trail I was using has become a real trail. It doesn't take that long or that much traffic before the plant life "learns it's lessons".

rocketsocks
03-03-2013, 21:53
Not necessarily the AT, but yeah...I like blazing a trail, that's where you find all the little jewels.

coach lou
03-03-2013, 22:16
Rivers are wonderful places to walk.

Slo-go'en
03-03-2013, 22:17
Only when I have to poop :)

BirdBrain
03-03-2013, 22:22
I am yet to hike on the trail.

T.S.Kobzol
03-03-2013, 22:23
You'll poke your eye out!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Prime Time
03-03-2013, 22:32
Trails have been created for people to be able to enjoy the forests and back country, while containing the damage we do to a narrow corridor that can be more easily maintained and monitored. When we go off trail, we tend to be destructive to nature due to our poor wilderness habits and our sheer numbers. We leave litter behind, we frighten and disturb animals, we have little or no regard for fragile ecosystems, and we are just plain out of place in the wilderness. I believe in leave no trace, and sticking to the trails.

FatHead64
03-03-2013, 22:36
By the way - I spend much more time picking up trash when off trail. In my thread on crampons, that is how I got into my sliding scenario. I believe not only in LNT, but not leaving other people's traces, either.

rocketsocks
03-03-2013, 22:41
By the way - I spend much more time picking up trash when off trail. In my thread on crampons, that is how I got into my sliding scenario. I believe not only in LNT, but not leaving other people's traces, either.Last year I humped a TV out of a favorite hiking spot of mine, I went with implements of destruction enough to fit the task at hand over two days. It was way off trail, and had I not blazed, (got lost) I may have never seen it, and the 6 mice then would likely still have a home...they were pissed.

FatHead64
03-03-2013, 22:45
I carry plastic grocery bags in my pack at all times (except when senility strikes) just to be able to pick up trash. People LOVE pitching beer cans down dunes and stuff. Sigh.

rocketsocks
03-03-2013, 22:50
Trails have been created for people to be able to enjoy the forests and back country, while containing the damage we do to a narrow corridor that can be more easily maintained and monitored. When we go off trail, we tend to be destructive to nature due to our poor wilderness habits and our sheer numbers. We leave litter behind, we frighten and disturb animals, we have little or no regard for fragile ecosystems, and we are just plain out of place in the wilderness. I believe in leave no trace, and sticking to the trails.You make good points2013620138In high traffic areas trails often look like this...instead of this. I think the amount of traffic an area see's has to be taken into account, as many areas that are remote will likely come back quicker from off trail
blazing.

aficion
03-03-2013, 22:53

I frequently hike where there is no trail, nor any close by. Going to places, where people do not much go is among my favorite things to do, along with sleeping and eating, and lurking on WB. I do hike on trails too, but rarely do I have the same level of, spiritual experience. Off the beaten track I find peace, beauty, solitude, even glory; and I do not have to tear it up to be there. To the contrary. I can pass and leave my blessing, no trace, and my extreme gratitude for the opportunity. Occaisionally, I can even clean up a bit if not as far off the beaten trail as I had hoped.

FatHead64
03-03-2013, 22:54
When I was Geocaching - you had a clear trail to a cache generally within 1 week. Or maybe a dozen finders. That's why many parks aren't so keen on caching. Many are, but the impact needs to be monitored.

Another Kevin
03-03-2013, 23:09
Just a word to the ones who advise "stay on the trail" because it's proper LNT behaviour: It depends on where you are. In some places, human impact is managed by concentrating it: essentially, sacrificing some areas to spare the rest. In others, human impact is managed by dispersing it: encouraging humans to minimize impact by avoiding places where others have gone.

There are places I go - such as some of the wilderness areas in the Catskills and Adirondacks - where hiking off trail is permitted; in fact, where it is the only way to reach certain destinations. In those areas, the rule is generally to avoid walking in file and try not to follow herd paths that appear to be forming; not to camp where there is evidence that others have done so, and (obviously) not to mark your path. I've quite enjoyed my lawful and careful travels to some of these more out-of-the-way places.

I honestly don't know if any such places lie on the AT corridor. I'd imagine that perhaps the HMW and the larger national parks and national forests might have some "dispersed impact" areas where exploring off-trail is appropriate.

It also depends somewhat on the season. With the LNT rule of "travel and camp on durable surfaces", ice and snow are the most durable of all surfaces. Once they've melted, nobody will know that you were there. (And the rules where I hike reflect this: in New York's state forests, it's lawful to make camp above 3500 feet elevation only in the wintertime, when the snow cover protects the fragile vegetation and the migrating birds are gone,.)

(Oh, by the way, I retrieved and properly disposed of a styrofoam cup from Dunkin' Donuts that I found in a stream on my last bushwhack. I was not pleased, since I was using that stream as a water source, it being the only unfrozen water I'd found for a while.)

FatHead64
03-03-2013, 23:19
Just a word to the ones who advise "stay on the trail" because it's proper LNT behaviour: It depends on where you are. In some places, human impact is managed by concentrating it: essentially, sacrificing some areas to spare the rest. In others, human impact is managed by dispersing it: encouraging humans to minimize impact by avoiding places where others have gone.

There are places I go - such as some of the wilderness areas in the Catskills and Adirondacks - where hiking off trail is permitted; in fact, where it is the only way to reach certain destinations. In those areas, the rule is generally to avoid walking in file and try not to follow herd paths that appear to be forming; not to camp where there is evidence that others have done so, and (obviously) not to mark your path. I've quite enjoyed my lawful and careful travels to some of these more out-of-the-way places.

I honestly don't know if any such places lie on the AT corridor. I'd imagine that perhaps the HMW and the larger national parks and national forests might have some "dispersed impact" areas where exploring off-trail is appropriate.

It also depends somewhat on the season. With the LNT rule of "travel and camp on durable surfaces", ice and snow are the most durable of all surfaces. Once they've melted, nobody will know that you were there. (And the rules where I hike reflect this: in New York's state forests, it's lawful to make camp above 3500 feet elevation only in the wintertime, when the snow cover protects the fragile vegetation and the migrating birds are gone,.)

(Oh, by the way, I retrieved and properly disposed of a styrofoam cup from Dunkin' Donuts that I found in a stream on my last bushwhack. I was not pleased, since I was using that stream as a water source, it being the only unfrozen water I'd found for a while.)

..........:banana

beaudetious
03-04-2013, 01:44

Well spoken. +1

wcgornto
03-04-2013, 02:10
In Alaska, once you get outside of Anchorage and surrounding areas, much of the hiking is on tundra where there is no defined trail.

Tinker
03-04-2013, 02:42
Other - hardly ever. I'm section hiking the AT now. Previously I have hiked all but 2 4,000+ foot mountains in New England and section hiked the Long Trail. No need for bushwhacking.

I climbed a little shorty of a mountain in NH a couple of years ago which had an obscure trail (did it during the winter) with a friend whose last name is Evans. It was, of course, Mt. Evans.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2013, 07:13

yes. quite often

Another Kevin
03-04-2013, 08:23
Other - hardly ever. I'm section hiking the AT now. Previously I have hiked all but 2 4,000+ foot mountains in New England and section hiked the Long Trail. No need for bushwhacking.

Really? Interesting. About half of New York's 4000-footers do require bushwhacking, or at least hiking on unmaintained and unblazed trails, as do about a third of the 3500-footers in the Catskills. As I've learnt the hard way, some of those bushwhacks are actually easier when deep snow buries some of the vegetation.

garlic08
03-04-2013, 09:17
There are plenty of well-known "routes" around here, even some classics like the Superstition Crest Route, for which there is no official trail. I live in an area called the Granite Dells where off-trail travel is standard and fun and not discouraged. The Arizona trail was finished just last year, but I hiked it in 2009. The Continental Divide Trail will probably never be finished, and I sort of hope not.

For those who hike off trail on vegetation in groups, please do not hike single file. One pair of shoes does very little damage, but four or five pair on a round trip will make a trail. I used to lead a wildland firefighting crew (20 firefighters), and I was amazed at the trail we could leave behind just with our boots. Flagging was usually just a gesture.

WingedMonkey
03-04-2013, 09:41
I enjoy our National Forests, most of them are perfect for, and encourage, dispersed trekking and dispersed camping.

I'm a frequent user of our states Water Management District lands, unless posted otherwise for environmental or safety reasons, I seek out pathless journeys.

If I'm using an established hiking corridor, I stay on the trail. Except to camp.

OzJacko
03-04-2013, 09:42
Around here I do but not when "on a trail" as in hiking a known trail. Only when out for a short walk to see a view from a hill or coastline etc.
There are many places I might "bushbash" as we refer to it but not if there is an easier alternative and not in a way others would follow and make another unwanted trail. (We probably don't have enough numbers in most places for that to be an issue.)
Not sure of situation there but going offtrail here usually increases tick incidents.
Our ticks are kangaroo ticks and anywhere that is a 'roo trail has a high likelihood of ticks along it. When going off trail the paths beaten down by the 'roos are usually the easiest paths to follow.

Prime Time
03-04-2013, 10:26
I enjoy our National Forests, most of them are perfect for, and encourage, dispersed trekking and dispersed camping.

I'm a frequent user of our states Water Management District lands, unless posted otherwise for environmental or safety reasons, I seek out pathless journeys.

If I'm using an established hiking corridor, I stay on the trail. Except to camp.
This makes perfect sense to me. I'm just not familiar with National Forests or Parks that maintain a trail system that also "encourage" dispersed trekking. I remember that for a brief time back in the 70's the White Mountain National Forest adopted the practice of allowing camping anywhere in their boundaries providing it was 200' from a trail or a stream and below timberline and it proved a disaster. Just too many people, and too little discipline. It's one of the reasons they're so strict today. I'm glad to hear that it works in other places.

whiteout
03-04-2013, 11:46
Yes I hike off trail. Most of the time somebody has found a great view and I want to sit and enjoy also.

atraildreamer
03-04-2013, 12:18
Only when I have to poop :)

"Nothing grows where Bambi goes!"
- Foster Brooks

fiddlehead
03-04-2013, 14:32
I agree that hiking off trail is some of the best hiking there is.
It takes some getting used to but you finally get to see nature at it's least ruined.
You find out that signs of man usually are usually a negative.

There are places where it is next to impossible.
Like northern Maine where the brush is so thick that even if you could cut your way through it, there's no footing at all.

It's easy in the desert or high plains out west, even in PA near the trail (some call this rock hopping LOL)
Not so easy in the jungles of southeast Asia but, a very interesting experience nonetheless.

It's not for the faint hearted (or is it feint hearted?) Not for the prudent minded.

k2basecamp
03-04-2013, 15:49
So on my trip from Katahdin to Washington 2 years ago I would stealth camp off of the trai and a bit North of Pleasant Pond I guess I went alittle bit too far off trail and in the morning after packing up and heading out I went the wrong way and couldn't find the trail for the life of me. Ended up coming out on a logging road and walking a good 2 or 3 miles before a guy came along in a pickup and gave me a ride back to the trail crossing - I was about 4 miles in the wrong direction !

Does this count?

Tinker
03-05-2013, 17:29
Really? Interesting. About half of New York's 4000-footers do require bushwhacking, or at least hiking on unmaintained and unblazed trails, as do about a third of the 3500-footers in the Catskills. As I've learnt the hard way, some of those bushwhacks are actually easier when deep snow buries some of the vegetation.

Sorry, Kevin. New York is not in New England.

If I ever decide to hike the highest mountains in NY, I guess I'll have to learn how to bushwhack. :)

Another Kevin
03-06-2013, 11:13
Sorry, Kevin. New York is not in New England.

Right you are! New England comprises Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, sometimes Connecticut and never New York. (Even though York is in England, New York is not in New England.)

I just found it interesting that the two areas manage their wilderness so differently. Sorry if it came across as doubting your accomplishment of scaling all but two of the New England 4ks!

jrwiesz
03-06-2013, 11:59
So on my trip from Katahdin to Washington 2 years ago I would stealth camp off of the trai and a bit North of Pleasant Pond I guess I went alittle bit too far off trail and in the morning after packing up and heading out I went the wrong way and couldn't find the trail for the life of me. Ended up coming out on a logging road and walking a good 2 or 3 miles before a guy came along in a pickup and gave me a ride back to the trail crossing - I was about 4 miles in the wrong direction !

Does this count?

Yep.......

Mags
03-06-2013, 12:10
[QUOTE=Prime Time;1430855 I believe in leave no trace, and sticking to the trails.[/QUOTE]

You can be LNT and easily hike off trail, too.

Granted, hiking off trail is a more viable option here than in NH.

To answer the question, I hike off trail fairly often.

Seatbelt
03-06-2013, 13:49

I did this day!! While climbing up "Jacob's Ladder"