PDA

View Full Version : UL, 15-degree rectangular, synthetic sleeping bag, compressed small: does it exist?

Crusinsusan
03-03-2013, 22:32
Am I dreaming? Under 2lbs?

All I can come up with is a zpack customized to be rectangular and probably at least $400....I just can't do that.

Crusinsusan
03-03-2013, 22:34
Actually, now I see the zpacks are down....so scratch that

Storm
03-03-2013, 23:29
If you find one let me know

hikerboy57
03-03-2013, 23:31
what about a quilt?

Crusinsusan
03-03-2013, 23:44
Yeah storm...I figured.

HB...I'm just learning about those things....reading the 'net now. Could be.

MuddyWaters
03-03-2013, 23:47
No 15F synthetic sleeping bag could be called "ultralight"
You are looking at about 3 lbs, or more, for a tight mummy, and bulky too.

A high end 20F down bag will weigh almost 2lbs, about 29oz for an Ultralite.

Yep, you are dreaming.
Rectangular, you dont really want to carry that.

leaftye
03-04-2013, 01:01
The MLD Spirit 28°F quilt is 21 ounces, or 1.3125 pounds. It's a long way from 28°F to 15°F. Don't forget to add an ounce or three for head gear.

The EnlightenedEquipment Epiphany Apex 20 should do it, and it weighs 30 ounces in regular length and width. It has the same amount of insulation as the 20°F Prodigy, but benefits from the vapor barrier effect thanks to its cuben fiber shell. That will easily give you another 5°F even if the rating doesn't show it.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/epiphany-apex-20/

Add a 1 ounce Blackrock hat or Goosefeet balaclava and you should still be right at 2 pounds.

Crusinsusan
03-04-2013, 01:52
wow...I've been reading up on the MLD Spirit 28 since you posted Leaf....but it looks like a mummy in pics (I have much to learn...thought a quilt just went over you) ....though the measurements might be generous enough. Certainly better than my hated montbell super stretch burrow bag, which just would not let go of me!

leaftye
03-04-2013, 02:31
wow...I've been reading up on the MLD Spirit 28 since you posted Leaf....but it looks like a mummy in pics (I have much to learn...thought a quilt just went over you) ....though the measurements might be generous enough. Certainly better than my hated montbell super stretch burrow bag, which just would not let go of me!

Definitely check into quilts more if you have the time.

MLD does do custom work, and they would probably add another layer of insulation for you. I think EnlightenedEquipment may be better priced though. Even though the pics don't show it, they're both going to fit about the same. The 30 ounce quilt I mentioned is made out of cuben fiber, which may be too specialized for you, but I only mentioned that one because it actually fit your weight requirement. There's also a couple versions with breathable fabric.

A bag is easier to seal, especially when you stretch out.

A quilt takes a little more effort, although that's probably not much if you use the straps around your pad. Or you can keep the edges tucked under your body. The design of the quilt helps with this. I'll try to explain. The top closes around your neck and cups your shoulders. If it's the proper length, it gives a little tension to pull the edges of the quilt towards your body.

If you sleep on your back or stomach with your arms to your sides, a quilt might not work for you because your unrestrained arms can fall off your pad. A wider pad might help. That isn't much of a problem with a sleeping bag because your arms are trapped, and probably couldn't fall to the ground unless you rolled off your pad.

A quilt also requires separate headgear. At 15°F I'd prefer a hood/balaclava.

I'm leaving a lot out. It's getting late.

Tinker
03-04-2013, 02:38
A semi-rectangular bag will leave gaps between your body and the inside of the bag - inefficient not only in terms of insulative quality but inefficient in use of materials, requiring more insulation and fabric. A rectangular bag is worse still, especially at the foot end where the side your feet are not on will always be cold.

A large girth mummy bag is probably what you need unless you're willing to try a quilt. I used to use my mummy bag as a quilt for my son and I way back when he was 4 or 5 years old. I'd put two pads under us and cover us with the unzipped bag. Drafts can be a problem when it's colder, though innovative designs by major quilt makers over the past few years have made this far less of a problem than it was with the first wave of ul quilts.