PDA

View Full Version : Trail Update: Lake Butler Forest

JaxHiker
03-03-2013, 23:42
Our FTA chapter has recently agreed to take ownership of the long-neglected section of trail north of the city of Lake Butler to the Olustee Battlefield. Let me say that after today I can understand why nobody wants to maintain it. It's a beast. I had a group of 14 braving the cold today (I don't think we broke out of the 40s) and wet/muddy conditions to blaze, lop, and mow between Swift Creek and Barton Gap Rd (about 4-5 miles). While the section along Swift Creek is scenic it doesn't take long to hit hell on earth. :o

I've been reading trailjournals.com and other sites and comments have been less than glowing. Bear in mind that this is timber land. That means that there are deep furrows which make it incredibly difficult to mow. I think I spent as much time on my knees as I did standing. Trying to manhandle a 250+ pound mower repeatedly up and down 2' furrows spaced closely together is back-breaking and extremely tiresome. However, once the furrows end the trail levels out and you have a couple miles of road walk along dirt roads.

We've had a lot of rain lately and we encountered a lot of wet and muddy sections. Where possible we tried to mow high to give hikers the ability to avoid the muck as much as possible. This is the first hike of the season where both of our mowers were actually working so the trail should be cleared very well. We did our best through the furrows but sometimes we just had to let the mower do what it wanted.

Another problem with timber land is that it gets clearcut. We have several clearcuts that we've had to route around and turn into road walks. Unfortunately the thorns and briars are so bad you'll get shredded to ribbons if you try to follow the original route. The timber company did leave the blazed trees standing but I'd really encourage you to avoid the trail and follow the white blazes marking the re-route.

I understand that there has been some confusion about the re-routes. If this has affected you I apologize. We've only just begun to work in this section and while I had new signs made up I didn't have the energy to tackle the re-route today. Rest assured I'll do my best to make it very clear how to best follow the trail. Today we found that there were very few blazes in some areas. We corrected that and will continue to do so as we continue whipping this area back into shape.

If you find yourself hiking between Lake Butler (specifically Swift Creek) and Olustee please let me know of any problems you find. Of course you can let me know the good stuff too. ;);)

chiefduffy
03-04-2013, 07:49
Once again, thanks for all the hard work!!

louisb
03-04-2013, 08:08
I was out on the trail yesterday and with the low temps and wind it was cold. My hat is off to you guys for getting out there and working on the trail.

Thanks,

--louis

moytoy
03-04-2013, 08:45
I've been trying to decide where I'm hiking this week. I'm leaving in about an hour for Inverness area. I think I'll try your newly cleared area on Wed. and Thurs. Thank you and your crew for the hard work.

JaxHiker
03-04-2013, 15:19
Thanks guys. I've got a great crew. :)

If you hike all the way to Olustee please take the re-route. It should be marked (it was when I first surveyed it). You can see how much was cleared. Just past the pond (marked with the privy) it's about 1/4 mile west on FR29D from the turn to the next road (not named on my maps). You turn NE just before you get to 5 Points Rd. There was a gate blocking access to 5 Points so when you see that turn north. You'll walk about 2 miles before exiting onto US90 which is 1/4 mile west of the original trail.

http://images.northfloridatrailblazers.org/trail-conditions/lake-butler-reroute.jpg

moytoy
03-05-2013, 20:08
So this afternoon I drove from Ocala to Olustee to check out the reroute and try to decide where I'm going to hike tomorrow. As you pointed out the reroute is mostly a road walk now. I can see why the reroute, the clear cut area's are a killer. Now I'm back in my truck on this aircard trying to get more info about the area. I really should have brought better maps. Anyway I'll get some walking in tomorrow and have fun doing it.

Landcruiser
03-06-2013, 17:12
I recently tried to hike thru this area & it was impossible. I also didn't see any indication of a white blaze route on the roads. I can certainly see that this would be an almost impossible section to maintain. Can't the trail just be permanently routed on the dirt roads? As it is now, hikers end up having to hike the paved road 231, so a route on the forest roads would be an improvement. I certainly appreciate your effort!

Gray Blazer
03-06-2013, 19:42
I walked south from Olustee about 8 years back and it went from trail to dirt road to powerline clearing back to dirt road. Wasn't too bad, but the trees hadn't been harvested yet. There was some good scenery and some old quarries. The FT gwts rerouted so much. I love that swamp with the boardwalk north of Olustee.

JaxHiker
03-06-2013, 20:58
I recently tried to hike thru this area & it was impossible. I also didn't see any indication of a white blaze route on the roads. I can certainly see that this would be an almost impossible section to maintain. Can't the trail just be permanently routed on the dirt roads? As it is now, hikers end up having to hike the paved road 231, so a route on the forest roads would be an improvement. I certainly appreciate your effort!
Thanks.

This doesn't make me happy at all. Just to be clear are we talking about the same section (marked in yellow above) that wasn't marked/blazed? If so then something's wrong. The portion in yellow should definitely be marked. It was when I was out there prior to this weekend's maintenance. Now I'm regretting that I didn't make the time to stop while I was there but it was getting late and I would have added another few miles to my already long day. :(

I'm trying to put together a meeting with the land manager. I really hate to lose any existing trail so I don't like the idea of a permanent route change. The trees will come back. They're getting there. You shouldn't have to hike 231 at all. The only caveat to that is if you hit Swift Creek and decide it's too deep. Then you'd like out to 231, road walk about 30', then back into the woods.

I walked south from Olustee about 8 years back and it went from trail to dirt road to powerline clearing back to dirt road. Wasn't too bad, but the trees hadn't been harvested yet. There was some good scenery and some old quarries. The FT gwts rerouted so much. I love that swamp with the boardwalk north of Olustee.
It crosses the powerline clearing now and continues north. I'll try to post a better view of the section.

I agree about the boardwalk. Unfortunately the footers have rotted and been pushed away by the water. It's been shored up but at the end of the year it was at about a 45* angle and unsafe. That's one of the jobs we're tackling later this month. We're going to make sure it's safe. I've been working with the USFS and it's slated for full repair or replacement next year.

Gray Blazer
03-07-2013, 08:54
So this afternoon I drove from Ocala to Olustee to check out the reroute and try to decide where I'm going to hike tomorrow. As you pointed out the reroute is mostly a road walk now. I can see why the reroute, the clear cut area's are a killer. Now I'm back in my truck on this aircard trying to get more info about the area. I really should have brought better maps. Anyway I'll get some walking in tomorrow and have fun doing it.

How was the hike?

moytoy
03-07-2013, 19:59
How was the hike?
I just got back to Ocala about 20 min. ago. I called the wife to let her know I didn't get eaten by the pigs. Actually I talked to her everyday I was out there. The area has good coverage thru verizon.
I had a great time in the area just north of Lake Butler. Jaxhiker and his crew did a good job with their mower too. Although I didn't see another soul for 2 days I felt akin to the area because I knew of the guys who did all that work. Many thanks to the maintenance crew.
I did have a scary moment in the creek. I sank up halfway to my knees in muck and the water was above my waste. I felt like I was going to keep sinking but finally hit bottom.

I do have a couple of comments about the reroute (road walk) that I did Tuesday afternoon. I parked my truck at the Olustee Trail head and walked south to Possum Trot Rd. and then back to the Trail head at Olustee. I followed the white blazes to the pond and then took the orange blazes south to the road. The area where the reroute takes the acute turn has been cut on the inside of the turn. Thus all of the white blazes have been cut down on that side of the road. Google map shows trees in this area north of the road but it's been bulldozed and no replant yet. If I had not had a pretty clear picture in my head of the route I would not have known for sure to take that acute turn. Also, the spot where you turn back on the Orange blaze trail is not marked. Any south bound hiker would walk right past the entrance to the FT and stay on the road. Actually that what I did but when I got to Dog Pen road I knew I had gone too far.
To quote favorite quote I heard somewhere:)
"It was a great day for a walk along the FT." Stumpknocker says that everyday he walks on the FT.

JaxHiker
03-07-2013, 23:15
Thanks very much for the report. It sounds like some of the re-route is still marked but we've lost some since the last time I was out there. This is exactly the type of information I need so I can't thank you enough. I'm headed to GA tomorrow for a couple of trail design/construction courses but I'll be back in Osceola the following week. I'll do my best to slip away from some of the construction somehow to get the route markings straightened out. Do you recall if there was anything left to blaze or will we need to put some posts in?

Very glad you stopped sinking! That happened once to me when I stepped out of my kayak. What I thought was solid ground was solid muck and I think I would've been in trouble if I hadn't been able to fall back into the yak. Not a very good feeling.

moytoy
03-07-2013, 23:36
I'm not one to need a blaze every 100 yards. The acute change of direction ( at Possum Trot rd) has trees on the south side of the road that should be able to hold a double blaze for a change of direction. Once you've made the turn and headed toward Olustee both sides of the road are cleared pretty much completely. A post with a blaze would be helpful here just to reassure the hiker he is going in the right direction. Once you've made the acute turn going toward Lake Butler there are trees on the right side of the road and in fact a white blaze is clearly visible as soon as the turn is made. When it's a road walk once you are going in the correct direction blazes just are not needed unless there is a direction change in my opinion.
The water in the pond in the area where you get back on the orange blaze sure was clear. It would be a nice place to cool off in the summer time:)

JaxHiker
03-07-2013, 23:38
Thanks. I just realized I'm speaking at the FTA annual conference next weekend. I'll be in Osceola the 23rd/24th.

JaxHiker
04-26-2013, 08:36
April Update
What can I say but, "Oh dear."? My sincere apologies to those that have tried hiking this section. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, this section sucks. Big time. I wouldn't even want to hike it and I own it.

I had no idea that the land manager had gone back in after we were there to survey and had clearcut another large tract. At this point I'm not exactly sure how much of the trail is truly obliterated what based on the debris field I wouldn't surmise they left much intact. I'm going to try to get out there again to do a full survey. For now I propose bypassing what used to be the woods and adding a .9 mile road walk down Possum Trot Rd. Solid orange is the original route. Dashed yellow is the current re-route. Dashed orange is my proposed re-route. The white hashed area is now cleared.

Northbound
When you hit Possum Trot Rd continue north for .9 miles. Do not go into the woods. They're gone. When you reach the private road with the red gate turn right and immediately take the road north for about 2 miles. This will drop you 1/4 mi west of the Olustee trailhead.

Southbound
Leaving Olustee head west on US90 for 1/4 mi (white blazed). Follow the marked road about 2 mi (yellow on this map). DO NOT turn left to follow the white blazes! Turn right and go out the gate to Possum Trot Rd. and turn left. Follow this for .9 miles. You will pass Elijah Dobson Rd. The trail will be on your right.

http://images.northfloridatrailblazers.org/olustee-south/LB-Latest-Routing.png

I do apologize. I don't think the land owner is sticking to our agreement. I'm pulling together the documentation I need and will be handing it over to the USFS to let them do their job in managing the trail.

lilricky
04-26-2013, 22:57
Yuck, talk about someone not playing nice. Its sad that because of someone not thinking, made more roadwalking necessary. :(

Olustee bus
04-27-2013, 06:52
Jaxhiker,

I live in Olustee part of the year. I have not been able to make it there over the winter but I hope to be there a good bit next fall and winter. I have access to a kawasaki mule if that would help with trail maintenance. I might could get a tractor and bush hog there also. When I see I will be there I will get in touch with you.

JaxHiker
05-01-2013, 09:54
OB, thanks for the offer. A Mule would be great. I'm hoping to gain access to the gates soon. There's a good bit of road walking already in this section and it doesn't make any sense to run the mowers down the roads burning gas. I wish we would use your tractor but I don't think they've been very open in the past to our suggestions of turnpiking the trail. Our maintenance is done for the season so we won't be back until sometime after Sept. Again, I appreciate the offer!