PDA

View Full Version : SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger!

Tree Nerd
03-04-2013, 10:55
So has anyone ever used one of these? Work well, is it a good idea to carry one if luck is not on your side? My dad wants me to get one of these, because I have been getting more into backpacking (alone) over the years, and I plan to attempted a thru hike, SOBO, come July. Any input would be nice.

bfayer
03-04-2013, 11:22
They work. I have had one for a couple of years to keep my wife happy when I am out with the kids.

If you are not interested in the tracking feature (my wife likes to see where we are), or the txt msg feature, then I highly recommend getting as real PLB. A PLB will not cost you a subscription fee and is much more reliable in a real emergency.

Take a look at the ARC ResQlink.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

RF_ace
03-04-2013, 11:50
Inreach is my fav

max patch
03-04-2013, 12:03
Why do you want to spend the money and carry the weight for something that does nothing to improve your hike?

Wise Old Owl
03-04-2013, 12:05
Inreach and Spot require subscriptions and insurance. You do not need it for the AT.

IF a relative wants you to have it, have them pay for it, before they do please read this page (top to bottom) scroll down

http://www.rei.com/product/784892/spot-ii-satellite-gps-messenger

colorado_rob
03-04-2013, 12:10
Why do you want to spend the money and carry the weight for something that does nothing to improve your hike? Says WHO? Us hikers? Sure but: Spots (and the like) are great fun for folks back home. Plus they are piece of mind for them. Sure, we know for ourselves they are useless and dead weight. Still, my kids love receiving that nightly check-in email message showing my location on Google maps.

RF_ace
03-04-2013, 12:22
There have been a few that have been heli rescued off the AT, these just aide the rescuers if something bad does happen, it's best to minimize the chopper crews time in sometimes less than ideal conditions

max patch
03-04-2013, 12:23
Plus they are piece of mind for them.

i disagree with that viewpoint. Spot isn't foolproof. What happens to the "piece of mind" when that "OK" message doesn't show up one nite?

Still, my kids love receiving that nightly check-in email message showing my location on Google maps.

Thats the first good argument I've seen for carrying one of those things.

colorado_rob
03-04-2013, 13:01
i disagree with that viewpoint. Spot isn't foolproof. What happens to the "piece of mind" when that "OK" message doesn't show up one nite?

Thats the first good argument I've seen for carrying one of those things. They all know that the spot doesn't always work, so no, they don't wig out for the relatively small percentage of times it does not. I do try to call if the SPOT signal doesn't go. Just doing my family-thing here. Their "piece of mind" is indeed (or should be) modest, but having one that might work (and almost always does) is better than nothing.

bfayer
03-04-2013, 13:26
They all know that the spot doesn't always work, so no, they don't wig out for the relatively small percentage of times it does not. I do try to call if the SPOT signal doesn't go. Just doing my family-thing here. Their "piece of mind" is indeed (or should be) modest, but having one that might work (and almost always does) is better than nothing.

I agree with this and this is why I have mine.

My wife feels a much more comfortable if I have it with me. It doesn't matter if she gets every OK message or every track point, it doesn't even matter if her fears are rational.

What matters is it keeps her happy, and if carrying a brick made her more comfortable about me and the kids being off hiking somewhere, then I would carry a brick.

Like I said in my above post, if getting rescued in an emergency is your first concern, get a PLB.

The Spot and InReach excel at keeping the home front from worrying themselves to death, if that is not an issue for you, don't buy one.

Sarcasm the elf
03-04-2013, 13:51
So has anyone ever used one of these? Work well, is it a good idea to carry one if luck is not on your side? My dad wants me to get one of these, because I have been getting more into backpacking (alone) over the years, and I plan to attempted a thru hike, SOBO, come July. Any input would be nice. my buddy used one on his thru a couple of years ago. He did it so that his friends and family could have fun and follow along with his progress on the trail. He warned us beforehand that he wouldn't check in every day, that way people wouldn't get worried if he forgot to post his location.Personally I dont see the need for it in the A.T., but if my girlfriend or my parents really wanted me to carry one for their piece of mind then I would consider doing so.

Tree Nerd
03-04-2013, 14:45
This is for the piece of mind to my parents. Like every good parent, they worry about their kids and I completely understand their stance on this. I would use it to let my family know I am okay and still moving, not necessarily just for getting rescued if something happens, but that is a nice feature and a piece of mind for me.

So for what I am describing and what my family wants, would this be a good option for me? The other ones you guys list just seem to be a rescue feature only. If so, I have a friend that works at an outfitter and she said she could get the employee discount of the device for me, but I would still have to buy the service plan.

bfayer
03-04-2013, 15:04
This is for the piece of mind to my parents. Like every good parent, they worry about their kids and I completely understand their stance on this. I would use it to let my family know I am okay and still moving, not necessarily just for getting rescued if something happens, but that is a nice feature and a piece of mind for me.

So for what I am describing and what my family wants, would this be a good option for me? The other ones you guys list just seem to be a rescue feature only. If so, I have a friend that works at an outfitter and she said she could get the employee discount of the device for me, but I would still have to buy the service plan.

For what you describe the Spot is what you need. As long as you understand the costs and limitations, it a very good option.

If you want two way texting and carry a smartphone, take a look at the InReach. The spot is one way.

One thing you should know about the Spot is that it does not send the text and position immediately. It needs a view of the sky, and once you hit the button it attempts to get a GPS lock, then it starts a message cycle that will continue for up to an hour or until the msg is sent which ever is shorter. This means you need to keep the Spot in a location where it can see the sky until the green sent light is lit.

The Globalstar satellites do not have 100% coverage, so you need to wait for a pass to send the msg. We usually take breaks any place there is a good vista to enjoy, so I just send the msg then. Most msgs go out in less than 5 minutes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Tree Nerd
03-04-2013, 16:16
wow, the fine print is ridiculous.

CarlZ993
03-04-2013, 18:57
See if your folks will foot the bill for the SPOT & coverage. Or have them buy one and you the other. The likelihood of using a 'SOS' button is unlikely (I used it once in NZ when I came upon a remote M/C wreck on a mountain road w/ no cell coverage; it worked). The 'OK' signals help keep the spouse happy and friends and other relatives updated.

I've used a SPOT for many years now. It's not perfect. But, it works pretty good. The newer version reportedly has better connectivity w/ the satellites. I think I've only had one 'OK' message not go though (older model). I've used it all over the US, Canada, & NZ.

Tree Nerd
03-04-2013, 20:48
I can get the spot on a discount at local outfitter so I am going to do that, i will see if my rents will cover the service charge for a year. I should be done with my thru (if i finish it) by mid December and I will have enough time to cancel the next years service charge or switch it over to my billing.

q-tip
03-05-2013, 12:52
I found it to be a PIA-it takes 15-20 min. to hook up to the satellite, I found totally not necessary on the AT.

inspectorgene
03-05-2013, 14:00
I have one and consider it cheap insurance for myself and anyone around me hiking or motorcycling...

NLaeger
03-05-2013, 15:14
I got an inreach for an AT section hike last summer, piece of mind for the parents. The first couple of days it worked great but after that it was spotty at best. There were times when I couldn't get to work at all, so I would turn on my cell phone just to see if it worked, and sure enough my cell worked better then this stupid thing that was suppose to have "satellite" capabilities! I returned it as soon as I got home!