PDA

View Full Version : Steve Longley The Ferryman

walkin' wally
03-04-2013, 13:29
Sad news,

Sorry if this is a re-post but The Ferryman, Steve Longley passed away in his sleep last night. I have no link to post but it was on WCSH6 news in Portland Maine on the noontime report. He was a personal friend and a friend to all hikers.

Sly
03-04-2013, 13:59
Wow, that's a surprise. RIP Ferryman.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2013, 14:08
I'm very saddened to hear this news. Steve was too young to leave us now. RIP Steve.

Frozen Achilles
03-04-2013, 15:31
Sad news. He invited a few of us to his place after ferrying us across. I believe he played the guitar that evening. We then camped on the hill behind his place.

neighbor dave
03-04-2013, 16:15
sad news indeed, he was a great guy, very helpful, stayed at his place twice.

fredmugs
03-04-2013, 16:50
That sucks. I blew out my knee about 2 miles before his place and when he saw me hobbling in he came out with a bag of ice. Great guy.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2013, 17:02
When Steve ferried me on my '05 hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=115466), everything went well until he lifted my pack out of the canoe, he lost his grip, and it fell into about 18 inches of the Kennebec. At that point in the hike, the comic relief was almost worth it but he felt bad and profusely apologized. I stayed at his place that night and ordered pizza which he picked up for me - his way of making amends.

You went too soon Steve - RIP.

Almost There
03-04-2013, 17:28
Sorry to hear it, more than being a friend to hikers, he was a friend to the trail.

Don H
03-04-2013, 17:40
Was Steve the regular ferry man in '11? When I crossed the regular guy was off and the guy who had done it in years past was filling in.

Rocket Jones
03-04-2013, 17:44
Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

WingedMonkey
03-04-2013, 18:46
Ferryman's response to Whiteblaze on his "2007 Agency Partner of the year" award:

Forever close to my heart...well, maybe!

First of all, I would like to thank Bob Proudman, Matt Stevens and all the folks from the ATC and the Maine ATC for presenting this New England "2007 Agency Partner of the year" award to me recently. For twenty years, I had an incredible amount of help from over 70 people, some still living and others now on the other side. All I can say is Thank You! I remember back in "86" when I spent three hours hitchhiking to meet with MATC personnel near Waterville to be interviewed for the job. After the interview, I had to stall long enough for them to leave so they wouldn't see me hitchhiking home. At that time I would never imagine spending over 3,330 days by the side of a river with a paddle making a living or transporting over 19,000 hikers across "without a scratch", given the strong independent nature of trail hikers. Yesterday, I pulled the last canoe out of the crossing, but not without the obligatory "Our Father", "Hail Mary" and "As It Was In The Beginning" prayers I would say everyday waiting on hikers. The Spirituality of the river became the spirit of me. Add to this special place all the hikers from every "walk" of life and no one could have been as blessed. To all the pro-forders out there...Peace. Part of me felt compelled to jump into the internet fray to not only raise my heart palpations "wicked", but to protect the other ferrymen who asked only to go home to loved ones after the job was done. Besides, chasing hikers out in the open, moving river was just getting too hard for this 50 yo body. And now a foot of snow has fallen upon the river landscape opening up a new season while laying to rest the memories of hiker season's past. I have the wood stove and kerosene lantern both burning brightly so if the power goes out, I will still be the grateful ferryman to all the hikers right here in the middle of the north Maine woods. Happy Holidays, Steve Longley

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?30217-Steve-Longley-aka-Ferryman-recognized-as-ATC-partner-of-the-year

Pingus
03-04-2013, 18:53
Oh my... he was a wonderful human being and a good friend over the years... this is quite a shock... condolences to his family and loved ones.... and to avoid those ubiquitous dishonest 'he was the best human ever' kind of sentiments.... no... he was a stinker from time to time... and that makes me miss him even more... Thank you Steve so much for being there when the hikers showed up on your shores... and god bless you... :) :) :) much love...]

Rain Man
03-04-2013, 18:55
Steve was a kind soul. Only met him once, in '04 when the WB gathering was at his place. Sent him a condolence when his father (mother?) passed on a few years back. He sent me a Thank You note, which I still have. He was taking the time and making the effort at such a time to reach out and thank me. That was the kind of guy he was.

RIP, Ferryman.

Rain Man

Pingus
03-04-2013, 19:08
If you take the ferry across this year give Dave your condolences. Dave was a good friend of Steve's and has been running the ferry these past four years. Dave is straight out of central casting for Maine tour guides and will be very happy to talk to you about Steve. Steve took me across the river 3 times... RIP my friend...

Ender
03-04-2013, 21:30
Do we have a link to a news story or obit? I haven't found anything online yet to verify. If true, very sad.

attroll
03-05-2013, 02:17
I am so shocked right now, I can hardly believe this. This hits me very close to home and the heart. Steve was a very good friend. I spent a lot of time talking to Steve about the Appalachian Trail and many other things. He helped me organize and put together the first two WhiteBlaze hiker feeds at his place. Steve has given a lot to the Appalachian Trail community. He will be missed by me and many many people.

Thank you Ferryman for all you have done for the Appalachian Trail and your friendship.

Mountain Mike
03-05-2013, 02:23
R.I.P Ferryman Steve.

Don H
03-05-2013, 08:26
Do we have a link to a news story or obit? I haven't found anything online yet to verify. If true, very sad.

The MATC Facebook page says he died of a heart attack.
I remember Steve, he ferried me across in 2011 when Dave was off one day.
Condolences to his family and friends.

Chaco Taco
03-05-2013, 09:13
I never had the privilage but my wife remembers him fondly. I really wish I could have been able to meet this great fella. To those of you that knew him and those that knew him well, my thoughts are with you and his family today. Thanks for all your kindness Ferryman

Cookerhiker
03-05-2013, 09:30
Article from Down East Magazine about Steve.
http://www.riversandtrails.com/kennebec/august2001.html

Wolf - 23000
03-05-2013, 10:08
Wow! Years ago I use to work for Steve! I knew Steve when he was just getting back on his feet after loosing his rafting company in the 1990. I can't believe he is gone.

Wolf

johnnybgood
03-05-2013, 10:13
I never met Mr. Longley but he epitomizes what a genuine trail angel should be
RIP Steve

Mags
03-05-2013, 10:25
Crossing the Kennebec with Steve was a highlight of the AT. Definitely a sign that the journey was almost complete. RIP.

walkin' wally
03-05-2013, 15:44

Do you think I would post something like that if it wasn't true?

mfleming
03-06-2013, 00:24
RIP Steve the Ferryman

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-06-2013, 00:54
http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Stephen-Longley&lc=1627&pid=163472563&mid=5447210

mainelydave
03-06-2013, 08:01
http://www.sunjournal.com/news/lewiston-auburn/2013/03/06/stephen-longley-longtime-kennebec-ferryman-died-un/1329599

walkin' wally
03-06-2013, 08:49
http://www.sunjournal.com/news/lewiston-auburn/2013/03/06/stephen-longley-longtime-kennebec-ferryman-died-un/1329599

Thank you for posting that link.

"He was born in Lewiston and raised outdoors"

Rest In Peace Steve, We'll miss you.

Cookerhiker
03-06-2013, 14:36
http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Stephen-Longley&lc=1627&pid=163472563&mid=5447210

This site was down earlier this morning but has been restored. You can sign the guest book.

JAK
03-06-2013, 15:08
St. Christopher
- John Bannister Tabb

It was a very little Boy
That on the river side
Stood calling, "Ferryman, ahoy!
Come, take me o'er the tide!"

The Ferryman came wading on,
And seeing but a child,
"Get up upon my shoulder, Son,"
He said, and, stooping, smiled.

But when into the stream again
The giant boldly strode,
His every muscle was astrain
Beneath the growing load;

Till finally, with failing strength,
He reached the other bank,
And putting down the Boy, at length
Upon the margin sank.

"Who art thou," wondering, he cried,
"That hast so burdened me?"
"The Son of God," the Boy replied,
"Who bore the Cross for thee.

"Henceforth thy task pursuing here
For love of souls forlorn
Thou'lt bear the name of Christopher,
As thou the Christ hast borne;

"And little sufferers that see
How great is thy reward
Shall cry, 'like Christopher are we
Thy Ferrymen, O Lord.'"

High Life
03-08-2013, 14:16
Steve retired after the 2007 season ...

High Life
03-08-2013, 14:27
http://www.flickr.com/photos/broken_images/1348276865/in/set-72157601907531843

Steve taking Marked( by the hand of god ) and I getting ready to take us across the Kennebec in 2007

rocketsocks
03-10-2013, 01:15
Ferryman's response to Whiteblaze on his "2007 Agency Partner of the year" award:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?30217-Steve-Longley-aka-Ferryman-recognized-as-ATC-partner-of-the-yearThat has got to be one of the nicest things I've read in a long time, thanks for posting that Winged Monkey, and Rest in Piece "Ferryman"

sits-in-car
03-10-2013, 12:29
If you take the ferry across this year give Dave your condolences. Dave was a good friend of Steve's and has been running the ferry these past four years. Dave is straight out of central casting for Maine tour guides and will be very happy to talk to you about Steve. Steve took me across the river 3 times... RIP my friend...

I was talking with Dave this past week-end in Scohegan,Me. He was giving a talk on firearms used by the revolutionaries (HE's a re-enactor) He didn't mention it. He may not have heard yet.

We didn't recognise him at first. He's cut a few inches of hair and is clean shaven.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqlgel3qdrI
Dave starts at 8:15

attroll
03-10-2013, 13:01
I was talking with Dave this past week-end in Scohegan,Me. He was giving a talk on firearms used by the revolutionaries (HE's a re-enactor) He didn't mention it. He may not have heard yet.

We didn't recognise him at first. He's cut a few inches of hair and is clean shaven.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqlgel3qdrI
Dave starts at 8:15
I know that Dave knew because I have been in contact with him over the last week and we talked about it. He even posted on his facebook page. Could be it just was not something he wanted to talk about or thought about bringing up.

Rain Man
03-10-2013, 13:56
From the Sept. '04 WhiteBlaze gathering in Caratunk. The Ferryman, similing, with Baltimore Jack. This is when I met Steve.

Rain Man

k2basecamp
03-10-2013, 16:13
Bill Green's Maine on WCSH TV ch 6 in Maine is doing a special on Steve this coming Saturday night at 7 pm. You might be able to catch it online at some point.

BirdShooter
03-13-2013, 23:11
Here's a photo of Steve (aka the Ferryman) taking us across the Kennebec in the Fall of 1994. I first met him in Georgia during my thru-hike. He was hiking southbound and wanted to meet thru-hikers that would cross the Kennebec many months later.

After we crossed the Kennebec and reached the Caratunk General Store, we called him on the phone. Rain was hammering the area and he graciously picked us up and let us stay in one of his cabins. He gave us a sack of potatoes (which we promptly cooked in a skillet) and a taped interview of Bill Erwin - a blind thru-hiker than had hiked a few years earlier. We listened to it the rest of the night.

He was a very friendly, likable guy. I wouldn't write this if he didn't have an impact on me. RIP Ferryman. I know you are smiling down on all hikers that make their way North.

attroll
03-14-2013, 11:58
Here are some more articles from news papers and other sources that I found about The Ferryman.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?698-The-Ferryman (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?698-The-Ferryman)

WingedMonkey
03-14-2013, 15:43
Here are some more articles from news papers and other sources that I found about The Ferryman.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?698-The-Ferryman (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?698-The-Ferryman)

WingedMonkey, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
You are trying to access a subscription or private forum. You can gain access to subscription forums in Group Memberships (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=editusergroups) if you are a registered user.

attroll
03-14-2013, 18:38
Sorry about that WingedMonkey. You should be able to view it now. If not, let me know.

WingedMonkey
03-14-2013, 19:14
Sorry about that WingedMonkey. You should be able to view it now. If not, let me know.

Yep, you fixed it, thanks.

stillatit
03-14-2013, 20:59
I remember Steve too. He used to bring free sodas out to give to those he ferried across---a fine chap.

D'accord! He was far too young to leave us...

Bummer.

urbanlumberjack
03-14-2013, 23:01
Hi everyone, my name is Matt Longley—Steve was my uncle. I can’t even begin to explain how much all of your kind words about Steve have meant to me and my family.

Maybe the hardest thing about losing someone is the feeling that they stop growing as a part of you—a person that once represented an infinite, unpredictable, and exciting set of possible shared moments and adventures is immediately reduced to a finite collection of memories. I didn’t get to see Steve very often, but my sister and I were fortunate enough to see him just a few months ago on a short snowshoe hike to Moxie Falls. We were already planning our next adventure this summer, yet another possible moment lost.

But Steve didn’t exist in my memories alone, and over the past week it has been absolutely amazing to stumble across the moments that others have shared with Steve. It’s as if Steve is stubbornly refusing to become finite. Every trail journal crossing of the Kennebec I read is another ride I get to take in Steve’s red Old Town.

I’ve been pulling these memories together to share with my family. It would mean a great deal to me if you would help. If you have trail journal entries about your time with Steve, or have ideas on where to find others, please send them to me at [email protected].

Thank you
Matt

Jack Tarlin
03-14-2013, 23:26
Matt: Thank you for writing us here. I knew your uncle Steve for the better part of twenty years. In all my time up and along the Appalachian Trail, he was about the finest men I ever met or yet expect to. In all the time I knew him, he was never unhappy, never complained, never raised his voice, never spoke ill of another soul, never expressed unhappiness or regret about anything. I never heard an unhappy or an unkind thing come out of his mouth. He took great pride and joy in what he did, material success or acclaim as the world counts it meant nothing to him. He knew what he was doing, why he was doing it, and always seemed content with it. He spent the best years of his life in service to others, giving himself without question or doubt to helping strangers. In the process, he probably saved a lot of people's lives. He was a very private man....both to his Trail friends, and as I now know, to his family, too. But he was very much known and very much loved in the small community of the Appalachian Trail, and I hope you share this with your family. Everyone who was fortunate enough to meet your uncle considered him a friend.

Gypsy"04"
04-24-2013, 02:06
I had the pleasure, like many others, of knowing Steve. He was a great person. I was at one of the WB hiker feeds when I met him the first time. I remember myself and another guy split about a cord of wood for him while we were waiting for the food. Well, in 07 I had 3 friends coming through very late in the season after he had already quit for the season. I gave him a call, he helped them across, and we climbed Katahdin that year. That's just the way he was. I'm very sorry to hear of his demise. He will be missed.

Grampie
05-11-2013, 20:13
A very nice article by Baltimore Jack in the May-June AT Journeys mag. Thanks Jack for doing the honor. I think that every thru-hiker ferryed by Steve will always remember him. I know I will. May he rest in peace,

attroll
05-11-2013, 20:33
If anyone is interested I also wrote this article a month ago about Steve http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?725.

DavidNH
05-11-2013, 23:00
this is very sad. Steve paddled me across the kennebec when I thru hiked in 06. He was truly a nice guy!