PDA

View Full Version : May start

bishopj
03-04-2013, 13:34
Rain pants for May 1 start or just leave them home
Thank

max patch
03-04-2013, 13:43
I think this is one of those threads where you're gonna get both yes and no so in the end its up to you.

I started 5/1 and took rain pants and I'll take em next time. Didn't necessarily use them that often for rain, but for when it got chilly (I had snow flurries in the GSMNP even starting that late as well as some cold times both at the start and at the end), mosquito control at nite when I hit MA, and when washing clothes. Even a few times when it rained. My rain pants were my long pants.

Tipi Walter
03-04-2013, 13:48
Rain pants for May 1 start or just leave them home
Thank

My rain pants are very light and are a pair of OR goretex shell and go with me all thru the year. Why? Cuz I was out at 5,000 feet on April 30 and got snow. But that's not the reason I carry them. Sometimes you have no choice but to hike in a cold rain and like with a good rain jacket a pair of rain pants over bare legs can help you stay warm (not dry) during a terrible high ridge cold windy rain. It's sort of a last resort tool but it's nice to have. Usually I use the jacket and go in shorts, but it's nice to have the leg backup just in case.

The Kisco Kid
03-04-2013, 14:03
Not sure anyone can really give you a definitive answer on this one. It's all about your body temperature/comfort level. If you are normally on the cold side, bring them. If you are one of those people who wear shorts in December while everyone else is wearing down jackets, than maybe you will be good without them.

I am on the cold side, so I always bring rain pants, even in July. Not for the rain, but as a windbreaker/insulation layer.

Blissful
03-04-2013, 22:18
I'd leave them and get them back up north. jmo

flemdawg1
03-05-2013, 11:34
I'd probably keep them till at least Hot Springs. There always seems to be one last cold snap around early May. So bring to at least get you thru the Smokies.