PDA

View Full Version : If I Was Going To Do It Again, I would....

Break:Away
03-04-2013, 14:20
So, if you've done a thru hike or even multiple section hikes, what would you do differently if you were going to do it again?
For example, did you carry too much stuff or even too little? Did you under-estimate or over-estimate how log it would take?
Did you head out too early or even too late? And many, many more comments I'm sure you could add...and please do.

I'm very interested in your thoughts and comments.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2013, 14:23
IF i did a NOBO again i wouldn't leave till around the 5th of April or later

wookinpanub
03-04-2013, 14:29
On my southbound thru, I did a 10-day resupply in Gorham with the next in Hanover. It was stupid, painful, and a death march. Consequently, I have negative memories of one of the most beautiful stretches of trail. Also, starting May 3rd on Katahdin was way too early (legally and socially).

Dogwood
03-04-2013, 14:43
So, if you've done a thru hike or even multiple section hikes, what would you do differently if you were going to do it again?
For example, did you carry too much stuff or even too little? Did you under-estimate or over-estimate how log it would take?
Did you head out too early or even too late? And many, many more comments I'm sure you could add...and please do.

I'm very interested in your thoughts and comments.

Backpacking knowledge isn't a destination it's an evolutionary process. You'll never know all that one can know therefore even if you've done mutiple thru-hikes even if they are on the same trail there is probably something you would/could/should do differently EACH TIME. NO TWO TRHU-HIKES ARE THE SAME EVEN IF ON THE SAME TRAIL/ROUTE. Find what works FOR YOU and adjust as new info becomes a part of your base of knowledge.

Specifically, I've learned to SIMPLYFY things in my lfe whether on trail or not.

Carry-On
03-04-2013, 15:06
I would have started near April 1st instead of April 19th.

I would have hiked Mt. Moosilauke sobo.

I would have built in a little leeway in my schedule to hike Katahdin on a better weather day.

I would have kept my Brooks Cascadia 7 trail runners, even in the snow, for the last 300 miles (instead of switching to waterproof trail runners that gave me my first blisters after 1900 miles).

I would have brought a waterproof, impact-proof camera because so much of the time the weather didn't allow me to take pictures of the most intense moments of my hike.

I would have stopped to take many, many pictures of mushrooms in the Hundred Mile Wilderness (instead I took none).

I would have figured out that the reason the camera on my phone stopped working didn't matter. It's an App. I could have reloaded the App or downloaded a new one. Then I would have taken many more spontaneous pictures.

I would have brought an Ipod/mp3 player instead of relying on my phone to play music. I ended up worrying about battery juice and not using music as much as I would have liked.

I would not have brought my Kindle (which I broke) and just used the Kindle App on my phone (which I had to do anyway after I broke my Kindle).

I would have brought more music. Funny how you can get bored of even 500 songs over many months. The playlists I did make ahead of time were awesome. Would do that again and more of them.

I would have taken more video footage on my phone or camera.

I would have done better at writing down the names, contact info and taken pictures of every hiker I met more than once and every trail angel who helped me out.

I will have more experience next time, and I will spend the money to purchase lighter weight gear.

I would have saved more money for my thruhike so I didn't have to stress and worry about money on the hike or afterwards.

I would have planned to have shipments of Permethrin sent every month to treat my clothes, shoes and gear and I would treat my backpack too, since I kept it inside my tent.

I would have learned about Chronic Lyme Disease before my trip, and taken Doxycycline with me and begun taking it as soon as I got the first rash on my leg (diagnoses or not).

I would have taken pictures of every register entry I wrote.

RED-DOG
03-04-2013, 16:35
I would leave the same time about the middle of febuary, i would take more time, more camping and getting to know the people.

on_the_GOEZ
03-04-2013, 16:40
I would stay in fewer towns/take fewer zeros and neros. Couldve finished about 3 weeks sooner had I not taken ~15 zeros. :cool:

Old Hiker
03-04-2013, 16:54
Walk AROUND mud puddles, not through them.

Stop being shy and get to know my fellow hikers better. Interact more. Try to remember names or at least let people know I can't remember names for long. That was part of my problem.

More pictures of the people I met. Not necessarily less of scenery, but more of people definitely.

Haven't decided for sure: maybe some type of music. I really, really like Two Steps From Hell right now. Plus all the oldie, moldies from my younger days.

Already started: lighter gear, less gear, better re-supply plans for hauling less food.

Up earlier, out earlier. Will still stop 30-45 minutes from sundown to set up camp.

Don H
03-04-2013, 17:41
Take more pictures, especially of the people I met along the way and take better notes.

SCRUB HIKER
03-04-2013, 17:55
Check out this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?27152-If-I-had-only-known), especially the repost of Baltimore Jack's essay on what he'd do differently next time (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?27152-If-I-had-only-known&p=398826&viewfull=1#post398826). For some reason this essay is no longer in the articles section. I found it, used it, and enjoyed it before my hike in 2011, but now the site is so non-navigable that it either doesn't exist or I can't find it, which is as good as not existing.

My own personal answers to your question:
- Hike in trail runners the whole way
- Hammock-camp (assuming we're talking AT)
- Be more decisive in moving away from people I don't actually like that much
- More nearos, fewer zeros
- Take more pictures
- Not quit my journal halfway through, but keep it up the whole way

Chuckie V
03-04-2013, 18:06
Backpacking knowledge isn't a destination it's an evolutionary process. You'll never know all that one can know therefore even if you've done mutiple thru-hikes even if they are on the same trail there is probably something you would/could/should do differently EACH TIME. NO TWO TRHU-HIKES ARE THE SAME EVEN IF ON THE SAME TRAIL/ROUTE. Find what works FOR YOU and adjust as new info becomes a part of your base of knowledge. Specifically, I've learned to SIMPLYFY things in my lfe whether on trail or not.

Great answer. And the wonderful thing about any lengthy endeavor is that you can (and perhaps should) adapt and make the necessary changes en route, especially during thru-hikes in such an urbane country, where access to any equipment changes (for example) is readily available.

So the whole premise of "this is what I'd do differently the next time" can also mean "this is what I'll do differently THIS time."

takethisbread
03-04-2013, 18:16
Jacks words are quite nice.

mlkelley
03-04-2013, 19:25
More pictures.
More zeros.
More money.

Almost There
03-04-2013, 19:41
As a section hiker, I would worry less about getting to my destination, and enjoy the trail more Luckily I still have half the trail left, and plan on doing just that. I have a destination, but if I don't make it, I have to pay a shuttle either way, so I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Mrs Baggins
03-04-2013, 19:46
We only got to Hiawasee (injury that was not going to be "walked off"). But upon reflection we'd absolutely 1)understand that it is even more a mental challenge than it is a physical challenge and 2) carry 15 lbs less weight. NOW we do carry less weight but it took that attempt to slap us upside the head and make us understand.

garlic08
03-04-2013, 19:50
I had a fantastic time on my AT hike, and everything went just about perfectly, so no, I would not do anything differently. At the time I started (early April), I thought it was a little early because I hit some winter weather. But it turns out I finished before some record-setting wet weather came in August and September, and several hikers quit because of it.

But the issue is moot because I would not do it again. There are way too many other things to do.

evyck da fleet
03-04-2013, 20:49
I'd take more pictures of the people, I hiked with, shelters, people who helped me along the way(either hitches, hiker feeds, etc) and myself at sites. I'd also take more videos. It took me about a month to remember I could record videos of places instead of taking a ton of pictures.

I'd probably adapt my schedule to make it a more social hike and slow down so I could finish in the fall and see the colors turn but that wasn't a priority of my hike. I'd also take more side trips and neros.

That being said, I wouldn't change anything about my thru with the exception of remembering about the video feature and a waterproof case for my phone so I could have take more pictures in the rain. Because I hiked my hike I have a ton of amazing pictures sans what I've mentioned above.

JAdk
03-04-2013, 21:18
IF i did a NOBO again i wouldn't leave till around the 5th of April or later

When did you leave on your thru hike? Why would you leave later, 'round April 5?

fiddlehead
03-04-2013, 21:25
Carry less beer. (maybe)

Seriously, Dogwood's post says it right. It's not about what you plan to do different, it's the people, and weather and situations and how you handle them that will make your hike different.

Lone Wolf
03-04-2013, 21:32
When did you leave on your thru hike? Why would you leave later, 'round April 5?

i always left the 3rd week of march. i would leave later due to weather

Cookerhiker
03-04-2013, 22:26
I section hiked over a few decades so one obvious answer is that starting another round of sectioning now, I'd have more modern gear than those early hikes in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Otherwise as a section hiker:

1. I wouldn't hike NJ in the summer again nor any of the mid-Atlantic
2. I'd do longer hikers e.g. 1-2 weeks rather than long weekends
3. I'd do more hikes in early Spring pre-foliage (April) and late Fall (November)
4. I'd hike Winding Stair Gap to Davenport Gap NOBO
5. I'd spend a night at Kincora
6. I'd do all of Shenanoah NP in one hike