PDA

View Full Version : Some nice photos from Mt Washington Presidential Traverse

peakbagger
03-04-2013, 14:49
I gave a ride to the person who took these shots a couple of weeks ago. In the right conditions some folks can do it faster in the winter than summer. Days like this are rare in the winter and for everone of these there are probably 20 that fogged in or dangerous wind speeds.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?48218-Snapshots-from-a-presi-traverse-on-a-perfect-day

About 23 miles in one day and a lot of elevation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Traverse

Its extremely rare in the summer to get similar views due to haze. In the winter on clear day, seeing the green mountains in VT and the adirondacks in the background are typical but in the summer its rare that you can see them.

RyanK817
03-04-2013, 15:40
These pictures are amazing, thanks for sharing this!

jeffmeh
03-04-2013, 16:55
Gorgeous...................

Magic_Rat
03-04-2013, 17:05
Does the AT visit the summit of each of the Presidential mountains?

Magic_Rat
03-04-2013, 17:05
Beautiful pics by the way

wcgornto
03-04-2013, 17:22
Does the AT visit the summit of each of the Presidential mountains?

No, but there are parallel blue blazes that go over the ones that are not technically on the AT and then reconnect with the AT. Not good for an uber purist, but wonderful otherwise.

Prime Time
03-04-2013, 17:38
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing these gems.

When I thru hike, I will definitely summit all the Presidential's on the blue blazes and not feel bad at all. Summiting the peaks is only a slightly more difficult hike than avoiding them by staying on the AT. I could never understand why the AT designators did this in the first place. The views from Monroe, Madison, Adams, and especially Jefferson are so much better than Washington even if you don't consider the circus on Washington. It would be unthinkable to me to avoid these peaks and hike around and just under them, especially on a day with views.

Rocket Jones
03-04-2013, 17:42
Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing those links.

tdoczi
03-04-2013, 19:12

When I thru hike, I will definitely summit all the Presidential's on the blue blazes and not feel bad at all. Summiting the peaks is only a slightly more difficult hike than avoiding them by staying on the AT. I could never understand why the AT designators did this in the first place. The views from Monroe, Madison, Adams, and especially Jefferson are so much better than Washington even if you don't consider the circus on Washington. It would be unthinkable to me to avoid these peaks and hike around and just under them, especially on a day with views.

hiking south to north i started out taking all the blue blazes. after jefferson i decided it wasnt worth it and skipped adams. the views the extra 30 or 50 feet up arent any better than off the AT, just a lot harder to get to (mt monroe's summit is in no way as easy as walking byt it on the AT, not even close) i imagine thats why the AT doesnt literally cross the summits. that and because of following traditional trails like the crawford path that i guess didnt care about such things either.

takethisbread
03-04-2013, 20:15
That's a tuff day hike in the winters short day

yellowsirocco
03-04-2013, 21:02

The trail skips the peaks because it follows the Crawford Path. This was an old bridle trail so they were not worried about going over the peaks, just getting to the top. They were trying to get to the little city that was on top of the rock pile. There is a lot of history in this area and if you read up on it you will get a better idea of why things in the Whites are the way they are.

Hikerhead
03-04-2013, 21:57
By following the AT and not going over the peaks gives another great reason for having to go back.

starbright
03-04-2013, 22:38
Love the pictures makes me wish I had started out sooner.

Carry-On
03-04-2013, 23:48
Wow. Amazing. I love your pictures. Thank you for sharing them.

peakbagger
03-05-2013, 08:14
I actually do a "Presi Lite" every few years in the summer which is the same starting and stopping point but skipping the summits via the AT and one blue blze to skip washington. I believe the AT at one point actually skipped washignton and used the trail called the West Side trail which was formerly a section of the Gulfside trail. This short trail has some of the nicest rock work on the entire ridge. The reason for the Presi lite is that it has 95% of the views and is less effort (but still potentially a 12 to 13 hour day). There are some folks who do the regular Presi at night during a full moon in the winter (or early spring), if the conditions are right they dont need headlamps and the moonrise and moonlight creates some stunning lighting.

peakbagger
03-05-2013, 08:15
BY the way, they are not my pictures, I gave him a ride but just thouhgt folks would like them.

Mags
03-05-2013, 10:39
Thanks for sharing. Defnitely a classic.