PDA

View Full Version : This or that?

EJC
03-04-2013, 22:13
Katadyn Hiker pro or sawyer inline water filter for a thru? Why/ why not? :-?

fredmugs
03-05-2013, 18:52
I have a Hiker Pro and am happy with it because it attaches to nalgene bottles and doesn't take all that long to fill one up. However I prefer my Steripen due to weight and size.

slowfeet
03-06-2013, 02:18
inline sawyer

lighter
harder to clog, can be backflushed in the field
faster to get water during day if using with hydration system/inline(IMO)-less mosquito bites
can be set up at camp or longer day breaks as a gravity filter

Tipi Walter
03-06-2013, 10:04
Can the Sawyer suck up water from a tiny seep pool? This is one of the advantages of a pump filter---and even beats chemical treatment at times as: How are you going to get a tiny water pool into your water bottle??

Aquaman12
03-06-2013, 10:55
I actually took the smallest bag provided with my Sawyer and cut off the top just above halfway up. Use it as a cup to get it into your bladder.

Alligator
03-06-2013, 11:12
I have both, though my hiker pro is an older one. If it was a really dry year on the AT, I'd recommend the hiker pro so that you could suck up water from low spots. Or, if you are with a group. Although for thrus, probably just better to have two Sawyers as you might get separated. However, most of the time I just bring the sawyer. You can scoop with a cup as mentioned or a pot. I carry extra water capacity and bring a nalgene soft water carrier. It has a wide mouth and can also scoop water.

When it's dry on the AT, carry extra water to be able to skip a stop and usually the next one is better. This isn't always true but it happens enough. Personally, if it is really dry (and generally hot as well) I will carry enough water to get through most or all of the day. It just takes some adjusted planning by paying close attention to where the water is supposed to be for the day then factoring in a reserve if needed.

You can't freeze the Sawyer though, so when you start needs to be considered. I use Polar Pur in freezing conditions rather than deal with a pump.

slowfeet
03-06-2013, 13:57
good point... forgot about the low pools of water. Pump style does have the advantage here. But, it's still a pain(IMO) to keep the "peanut" hovering while pumping. The peanut resting in the bottom of the pool results in a clogged filter in my experience, even with a coffee filter/prefilter over the peanut.

I used my cup/bowl/stove container to scoop up water. In really low pools, I will get sediment in the water, but, the sawyer has never clogged.

Can the Sawyer suck up water from a tiny seep pool? This is one of the advantages of a pump filter---and even beats chemical treatment at times as: How are you going to get a tiny water pool into your water bottle??

slowfeet
03-06-2013, 14:00
also, wanted to add: if situation was desperate, you can use the sawyer inline as a straw directly from the low pool. I've never tried but think it can work.

Blissful
03-07-2013, 10:59
Aqua mira works good also on the trail.

I've seen too many hikers frustrated by water pumps on long hikes...

garmachi
03-08-2013, 22:50
Maybe it's just a coincidence, but both my hiking partner and I had Sawyer bags which both sprung leaks after only 3 days of use.

I loved the system while it worked.