PDA

View Full Version : Water treatment

PapaGarrettP
03-05-2013, 12:12
I know that, like to hang or not hang your food, to treat or not to treat one's water is a controversial subject. I generally do not treat it on the AT in Georgia, but do in other places where there is more population, farm animals, sheep.

I am wondering if there is a compelling reason to treat in on the BMT in GSMNP?

(Full disclosure: I have never suffered from Giardia, so have no baseline bad experience!)

Thanks,

PapaG

SGT Rock
03-05-2013, 13:02
IMO if you have been getting by without treating elsewhere, then the BMT through the park won't be an issue unless you get water from the lake. And chances of doing that are probably low. I've been carrying a small eye dropper bottle of chlorine which weights about 0.5 ounces full along on hikes in case I feel the need. A couple of drops per liter will do if it is needed. I've done multiple trips without needing to restock the bottle.

Tennessee Viking
03-05-2013, 13:12
The closer you are to the spring source the better.
If the water is flowing steadily and its cold the better.

If a water source looks murky or low flow/pooled, or has a smell, pass on it or you may want to filter/treat and boil.

inspectorgene
03-05-2013, 14:45
IMO if you have been getting by without treating elsewhere, then the BMT through the park won't be an issue unless you get water from the lake. And chances of doing that are probably low. I've been carrying a small eye dropper bottle of chlorine which weights about 0.5 ounces full along on hikes in case I feel the need. A couple of drops per liter will do if it is needed. I've done multiple trips without needing to restock the bottle.

Sarge, do you date the bottle or otherwise keep up with the age of the chlorine [bleach, I assume]

Dogwood
03-05-2013, 15:20
I brought the two part AM in the reduced size Gossamer Gear Dropper Bottles on the Pinhoti Trail. I haven't felt the need to treat my water yet although like you said PG if I have the slightest suspicion that my water source is downstream from ANY livestock areas, beaver ponds, industry, agricultural areas, or the water source flows through a town or near significant human habitation, even some camp grounds/camp sites, I treat it. I always look for moving water like from small streams, rivulets, etc UPSTREAM from where the trail crosses. I like taking water from little cascades mostly in these areas or from deep lakes/ponds AND try not upsetting/stirring up anything on the bottom of the water source. On the BMT, which I'm thru-hiking next after I finish the PT, and as far as I've looked at the BMT maps, most if not all my water sources will be from moving water too so I suspect I will also rarely treat if ever on the BMT too. If in any doubt treat your water with something like the AM liquid, tablets, bleach, etc. Notv that much of a hassle if you are have a real concern.

k2basecamp
03-05-2013, 15:30

Only takes 1 critter to crap in the water upstream and you might be in trouble. Is it that much hassle to filter or treat your water - not really. But if you like rolling the dice then don't treat. You may never get sick. But if you're unlucky and pick something up trust me you will always take the time to filter or treat in the future. Been there.

SGT Rock
03-05-2013, 16:03
Sarge, do you date the bottle or otherwise keep up with the age of the chlorine [bleach, I assume]
I haven't been.

SGT Rock
03-05-2013, 16:04
Only takes 1 critter to crap in the water upstream and you might be in trouble. Is it that much hassle to filter or treat your water - not really. But if you like rolling the dice then don't treat. You may never get sick. But if you're unlucky and pick something up trust me you will always take the time to filter or treat in the future. Been there.
I've been sick in the woods too. It happens.