PDA

View Full Version : Water strainer for AM drops

krlatham
03-05-2013, 14:14
So, I'm starting my thru attempt in 10 days and I'm all prepared expect I realized the other day that most people recommend straining water before using aqua mira to keep small debris out. What do ya'll recommend using to strain the water? A handkerchief?
Also, did those of you who used AM clean the water right in your hose bag, or use a separate container?

Thanks!

wornoutboots
03-05-2013, 14:39
Yes, normally a bandanna. Make sure to walk upstream a bit to filter even if you have to fight a Rhodo or 2 since there are so many hiker starting now & doing whatever they do at the source where it crosses the trail. Great Luck with your Adventure!!

CenAZwalker
03-05-2013, 14:51
Bandana works pretty well. I carry a small piece of stretchy nylon, cut from the little nylons they have at shoe stores used for trying on shoes. I've used it in the Colorado River which is heavy with silt and it worked pretty well. And it's weight doesn't even register on a scale.

Don H
03-05-2013, 15:09
I carried a cut off plastic water bottle to dip water. Inside the bottle I stored my home made strainer made from the neck of a small Gatorade bottle and a nylon stocking secured by a rubber band. This strainer lasted the entire trip and I'm still using it.

daddytwosticks
03-05-2013, 17:18
About a 6" X 6" piece of no-see-um netting. I double it over and use my cup to dip water and fill a sports-type drink bottle while on the go (after AM treatment). In camp, I use a platy-type zip bag to collect and store water. Given some amount of time, the floaties usually settle out, I decant and drink from my sports bottles after AM treatment. :)

Glogg
03-05-2013, 17:36
I went with my bandanna plus a coffee stirrer. The stirrer was one of those that look like a tiny straw. I'd tuck in the bandanna with the straw leading out of the bottle, and as I poured water in through the wet cloth, the air would come back out the straw, speeding things up nicely.

rusty bumper
03-06-2013, 10:20
In over 5 months on the AT using AM, I never had to strain my water. There were only a few times when I ended up with some greeblies in my bottle and I probably ended up swallowing those!

Kerosene
03-06-2013, 13:06
Great idea! It's amazing the little ideas you pick up even after hiking all these years.

1azarus
03-06-2013, 19:15
I've always used aqua mira and never used a strainer. I can't think of a time I've wished I had one. I think a strainer is just another complication/needless item. I suggest you plan on using something you already are bringing, if you want to have the strainer option. If you already have a bandanna, well use it, at least as long as you think its a good idea to. Have a great hike, a drink one for me!

MuddyWaters
03-06-2013, 20:14
If you are thirsty, a minor bit of debris wont bother you.
After a few hundred miles, you wont care.

If it was really bad, use a bandana, your shirt, a sock, headnet, etc.