PDA

View Full Version : 20 Degree or 30 Degree Quilt

xftnfnb7
03-05-2013, 14:21
For the last few years I've been a summer camper and now would like to expand into Spring and Fall. I've settled on a enlightened equipment Revelation quilt. Would you recommend a 20 degree or 30 degree top quilt. The goal is not be cold in the spring and fall and not bake in the summer.

Thanks in advance.

bannerstone
03-05-2013, 15:45
Depending on what you own now and where you live, I would buy in the comfort range that gives you a wide range and not a great deal of overlap. The idea being to add the greatest flexibility to your existing gear for your dollar spent.

For instance if you already own some 40* gear, then I would be looking at something in the 20* range.

David

xftnfnb7
03-05-2013, 15:55
Have you found that being to warm is much of an issue?

oroy38
03-05-2013, 17:52
Go with the 20*. Not only will it extend your seasons into early spring and later fall, but in a pinch a 20* can work for mild winter conditions with the right clothing. My friend has a 20* RevelationX, and on our last trip the overnight temps dropped to around 15*, but he said he was plenty warm, with a fleece and base layers.

Like Bannerstone said, if you already own warm weather gear, there's no point in overlapping. Depending on where you do the majority of your trips, spring and fall can get pretty chilly, so you're better off with the warmer bag, if only as a margin of error. With quilts, being too warm isn't a huge issue since all you have to do is open them up a bit to increase dead air space.

Chubbs4U
03-05-2013, 18:00
I know hell make you a 25 degree bag...