PDA

View Full Version : How many miles a day do you usually do?

TOW
06-17-2005, 19:07
when i am out there on the trail i have a tendency not to get in too much a hurry and when others ask me how many miles i average in a day i say, "2-10 miles a day but more like 2 because i stop and talk to everyone i meet just like you and sometimes i'll just sit on top of a mountain and look to the valleys or i might just get off the trail and explore in the woods, you see i just don't get into a hurry..."

what about you, how many miles do you average in a days hike?

Sly
06-17-2005, 19:23
Depends on the trail, the time of year, the water, the hike.

jackiebolen
06-19-2005, 13:32
Although it does depend on the trail, once I'm in shape I do 15-20 miles. On the AT, that meant i would stop at whatever shelter was there after I'd hiked 15.

Bolivershagnasty
06-19-2005, 14:05
Like wanderer I try not to worry about how many miles I do. You get into a mindset that you "have" to make a certain shelter or whatever by nightfall. Guys we all carry tents for the purpouse of not having to be "anywhere" at any given time. I'm just as guilty as anyone and just realized by wanders commint that yea I rush too. Hmm..I'm going to slow down too. I hear the "thing" on the trail today is the milage thing. Everyone rushing to finish the "race" not do the trail. I guess being UL has become a for milage thing instead of a "save my back" thing. LOL..It's a save my back thing to me. We need to stop and go back to enjoying the trail for the purpous of "enjoying the trail"..what a concept...

neo
06-19-2005, 14:35
i did not see options for 15 to 20,20 to 25 or 25 to 30 or 30+
i average 20 to 25 a day,22 miles a day is what i shot for,neo

Kerosene
06-20-2005, 12:43
It really does depend on the trail, especially the trail surface itself. Given a smooth enough trail, elevation gain/loss doesn't seem to have a huge impact on my mileage. However, a rocky/rooty trail on a rainy day can slow me down quite a bit.

I'm not into night hiking, so the amount of daylight is also a limiting factor. Prior to last year, I was averaging about 13-14 mpd. Last April in Georgia I easily did 15 mpd, and a few weeks ago I averaged 17.5 mpd on the smooth trail north of Atkins, Virginia.

Jaybird
06-20-2005, 13:18
Depends on the trail, the time of year, the water, the hike.

ME TOO! ME TOO!

i also stop along the way & talk to just about every THRU-HIKER that will give me a few minutes of time...it's all about the journey...NOT the speed! :D

kyhipo
06-20-2005, 13:39
well i am like it depends on the terrain and my body,when i was out west 20 miles was a big mile for some reason the air elevation was harder but depending on my moods normal day 20 to 30 to 0 i do them alot then power hike for days,ky:dance

little bear
01-01-2006, 21:25
I head out and hike as long as i feel like it, or until I find a nice place to set up camp.

Happy Hikes
Little Bear

Frolicking Dinosaurs
01-03-2006, 07:37
I used to do about 10 to 15 miles a day, but the leg injury has slowed me down. My max is around 8 miles without a pack now -- and with two rest days in between. Move over Snail - I may have to ursup your name :D

vipahman
01-03-2006, 11:40
10 miles in winter/snow. 20 miles in spring/fall. 30 miles in summer. But then I've never done more than 4 days in a row. I do plan on getting a couple of 40+ mile days under my belt, with ultralight gear of course, during the long summer days.

jimmyjob
01-03-2006, 13:38
i usually knockout about 9 to 12 miles a day when i am sectioning....of course it all depends on the terraine...