PDA

View Full Version : The Shoe Paradox

Eno
03-05-2013, 16:54
I've always had a problem finding shoes that fit. I have tiny feet (I barely fit into women's sizes), super high arches, and wide feet. Not only is this a bother when I'm dancing (excluding the high arches), but when getting shoes it makes it very tough. The width of men's shoes generally fit my feet, but they never have my size. Women's has a suitable size, but the width is too small. Kid's shoes have a good width and tend to fit perfectly, but they are made to be waaaaay less durable than adults' shoes. Trust me, I know from experience. It sucks to have the sole break off or get a hole on the side of your shoe when hiking.

Does anyone know a supplier of hiking boots/shoes that carries well made models in a variety of sizes (yes, I have tried REI, Dick's, and even troubleshooting with Amazon), or even a company that lets you create a custom shoe (I can dream, can't I?). That would at least get me in the direction of possible candidates, which is better than nothing.

-Eno

Tinker
03-05-2013, 17:14
http://www.limmerboot.com/#

Limmer has been making custom boots almost forever. They are relatively heavy old-school boots, but they are built like iron. I hiked exclusively in them through the 1990s until I discovered lightweight hiking, lowered my pack weight, then lowered my footwear weight. I mostly hike in trail runners now and do section hikes of a few days to a week.

Mobius
03-05-2013, 17:15
You might try a brand that has a wider toe box (not necessary a wider heel) like Inov-8 or Altra. Those folks both make trail runners, not boots. Depending on where you live it may be hard to find them in stores to try on.

sterling98
03-05-2013, 19:57
I wear ll bean kids boys boots. They go up to size six and are nice and roomy. I've never had a blister. I added super feet insoles as well. Also these boots last forever. I've had mine three years about 300 miles and they are holding up no problem.

Coosa
03-05-2013, 20:50
Try these: Prices are good ... I'm getting FIT by my podiatrist first ... http://www.propetusa.com/

Coosa