PDA

View Full Version : Rain Jacket

kbarnard
03-05-2013, 19:19
I have a fairly-expensive two-year old nylon Outdoor Research rain shell similar to the Helium on their site now and while it keeps out the rain for the most part, it gets VERY water logged taking a long time to dry out and wet and sticky on the inside. Is this typical of shells or should I be thinking of upgrading?

If upgrading, have people found ponchos a good choice in order to cover the pack too? Or do you have any womens specific, under $100 rain jackets worth recommending?

Drybones
03-05-2013, 19:26
I used a poncho last spring to cover me and my pack and it worked well, no real issues except when walking up steep hills in a hard wind. I have some Goretex gear but I'm going to try a rain set I bought at Academy for $40 this year just to see what I like best. Only advantage I see of the rain suit is having an extra layer to keep warm, which was not a problem last year using the poncho, flip side is the poncho kept the pack dry.

oroy38
03-05-2013, 23:37
Wash your jacket with NikWax Tech Wash and TX Direct Wash-In. If your jacket is "wetting out" that means the DWR coating has worn off, hence the water not beading and rolling off anymore. This happens with regular use as the jacket has repeated exposure to the elements and other abrasion. Generally you'll see this happen in high wear areas first like the back, shoulders, hip area (where your hip belt rests), and hood (if you roll the jacket into its hood to pack it away). It's normal, and will happen with any Waterproof/Breathable textile whether its 3 layer Gore-Tex Proshell or eVent.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=677&activity=

Tinker
03-05-2013, 23:55
Fwiw: I bought an REI Shuksan parka a little over 2 years ago. The original dwr lasted about 1-1/2 years. I redid it about 6 mos. ago and it is beginning to wet out again. I guess the factory does it best.

Also fwiw: I didn't read the instructions inside the liner of the jacket and used the NikWax wash and spray system. An REI employee informed me of my error and suggested I read the label next time........D'oh!

I'm pretty sure I'll be going back to coated, non breathable shells next time I need a new one. Ventilation is key with a garment of this sort, and buying larger than you need helps ventilation. Pit zips are a must and pockets with mesh lining are a plus.

As far as fabric is concerned, I'd rather wear something a bit heavier if the fabric is stiffer.

It's next to impossible to get a "clingy" garment to allow air to circulate between it and your body.

HeartFire
03-06-2013, 06:57
http://blistergearreview.com/articles/outerwear-101

This article helps explain what is going on with the jacket

yellowsirocco
03-06-2013, 07:52
Just get a Packa. It is right outside your budget, but it is about the only thing that actually works well.

http://www.thepacka.com/

daddytwosticks
03-06-2013, 08:21
I use my poncho in the warmer parts of the year in this part of the AT (southern). Works great as raingear, packcover, and emegrency shelter. :)

Cmc222
03-06-2013, 09:13
I use a frogg togg toadz jacket 100% water proof all seems are sealed cut the wind down to almost nothing highly recommend this coat. Even better it is only 59.99.

Cmc222
03-06-2013, 09:14
sorry here is the link
http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/HighwayToadz.shtm

88BlueGT
03-13-2013, 15:22
I'm another advocate for The Packa... I don't have much experience with other setup's but I will say that I LOVE this and would not trade it for anything else.

colorado_rob
03-13-2013, 16:10
I'm another advocate for The Packa... I don't have much experience with other setup's but I will say that I LOVE this and would not trade it for anything else. I tell ya, you guys are convincing me to try one of these Packas. I've always been a Dri Ducks fan, but always willing to try new things.

colorado_rob
03-13-2013, 16:11
Oh yeah, definitely re-do your DWR every year or so with that Nik Wax product folks are mentioning; it really helps keeping the jacket from wetting out which also improves breatheability when wet.