PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder about what it's like to thru-hike as a gay man? Or as part of a couple?

SCRUB HIKER
03-05-2013, 20:14
I can't speak to either of these scenarios, but I asked some friends about them and got two excellent responses. They're contained within the latest post on my website, http://scrubhiker.blogspot.com. Check it out.

Wise Old Owl
03-05-2013, 20:42
No - as a family guy .. I don't have a need to address this.. but NPR discussed something similar today on several listening shows. It's not unusual to see two men hiking together. Assumptions can be unfounded. But keep in mind - as LW say's "It's just Hiking"

MuddyWaters
03-05-2013, 22:26
Nope, never crossed my mind.

Neither has wondering what its like to hike as a black man, an illegal mexican, a trans-gender, a dwarf, or a one-legged waitress that works at IHOP.

I reckon I just dont care.

HYOH.

Bumpa
03-05-2013, 23:12

Neither has wondering what its like to hike as a black man, an illegal mexican, a trans-gender, a dwarf, or a one-legged waitress that works at IHOP.

HYOH.

I like this answer...right on :-)

4Bears
03-05-2013, 23:25
1) Why would anyone even care??
2) None of my business
3) Why do you even ask??

prain4u
03-05-2013, 23:41

HYOH.

Is her name--Eileen?

Northern Lights
03-06-2013, 00:08
I don't walk the trail inquiring about one's sexual preferance, so I would have to say no I have never wondered, don't care and there are some things that just aren't anyone else's business. I would think it would be exactly the same as hiking the trail for everyone else who chooses to walk the trail.

ETA: I forgot about my first section hike on the AT, where I was meeting a girlfriend about a week in and we were going to hike another section together. I was hiking Albert Mountain with a guy I met at a shelter and was telling him I had another two 12 mile days and I would meet up with my girlfriend. He asked me if I was gay, so apparently some people do think about it. Neither of us are gay, not that there is anything wrong with that(seinfeld episode) ;)

Venchka
03-06-2013, 00:14
A friend of mine recently asked me if I was interested in spending a month on the AT next year. I said that I was. We are in the active planning stage now.
I wonder if anyone who sees us hiking together will think, "Do you suppose that they are..."
Grinning. If they can tear themselves away from their iToys long enough to notice us.

Wayne

SCRUB HIKER
03-06-2013, 04:13
I guess I phrased the title of the post a little aggressively. My point is that if you find this an interesting subject for any reason--maybe you're gay or lesbian yourself, maybe you know someone hiking who is, maybe you (like me) just wonder about how some people experience the trail--you would probably enjoy reading that post. If you do read it, you'll find that my friend did not wear his sexuality on his sleeve and that, once he did confide it to friends on the trail, he found that it helped improve the bonds of friendship. I'm not trying to push any agenda; it's interesting food for thought, and nothing more, on an issue that doesn't see a ton of discussion on this site.

JAK
03-06-2013, 06:43
There are always limits. Feel free to push them, but not too far. Same with straight men and women, and the way they dress and act and talk, for example. There are limits to the extent to which people should express their sexuality in public. Keep that in mind. Equality means you have as much right to offend people as anyone else, but not that you should.

JAK
03-06-2013, 06:46
Maybe start with weekend hikes first, and then section hikes.

humour

daddytwosticks
03-06-2013, 08:24
A friend of mine recently asked me if I was interested in spending a month on the AT next year. I said that I was. We are in the active planning stage now.
I wonder if anyone who sees us hiking together will think, "Do you suppose that they are..."
Grinning. If they can tear themselves away from their iToys long enough to notice us.

Wayne If you get to a shelter and proceed to zip your sleeping bags together, I quess that would erase all doubt. :)

mrcoffeect
03-06-2013, 09:39
I sometimes wonder what it would be like to hike the trail as a sane person. but then I get that crazy idea out of our head.