PDA

View Full Version : Making all-female hiking group

Kari Clancy
03-05-2013, 21:41
Hello!

My name's Kari, and I'm a 24 year old female who just graduated from college, and would like to start a thru-hike NOBO in late March. I've been thinking about hiking the AT for well over 10 years, and am finally in the position to actually do it.

I was going to hike SOBO starting in June, but the family members going with me have hit some hard times (a car accident) and cannot go anymore. I was waiting for them to finish school and get themselves together, but now that they are not going I would like to try to go now, if I can get a group together.

My parents' and I share a main concern for my safety, as I feel is normal for everyone when planning this kind of adventure. Therefore, I've decided to attempt to get a group of just female hikers together as a way to create a safety-in-numbers and success fail-safe. I'll explain: It makes more sense to have a large group at the start because some might drop out, some might to get hurt, some might go home for a few days and forget to come back, some might decide to move on with another group, etc. If we make a group from the start, we can choose what to do from there, whether that is to hike the whole thing with each other, or choose to go on elsewhere.

Anywho, if you're interested in hiking with me, please let me know, I'm itching to do this hike and can't wait to get out there!

Kari

HikerMom58
03-05-2013, 21:46
Kari... I know of an established group of female hikers that are hitting the trail in waves (diff. start dates) called the Summit Sisters. Have you heard about them? Would you be interested in contacting them? If so, I could put you in touch with them. This group would be an older group of females but seem to be a fun group! :)

Kari Clancy
03-05-2013, 22:03
Absolutely! I don't care how old they are, I just want to get out there! As long as they're ok with my age, and knowing that I while I am an avid hiker, I am still learning.

Thank you so much!

HikerMom58
03-05-2013, 22:13
Ok Kari... Hold on... I'll get their info. :)

Rhanis
03-06-2013, 11:23
Hi Kari,
I'm heading off on the approach trail on the 28th, also solo, and my parents are also concerned for my safety, I think I've done enough to abate their fears, but, well, they are parents, and that's their job. I'm from Vermont, and I also really wanted to do it SOBO, but I have to be done before October, so.. it will be nice to hike in the direction of home. It sounds like you are well on your way towards finding a group to hike with, but feel free to contact me if you like.

wornoutboots
03-06-2013, 12:03
Kari, you also might want to check out TrailJournals.com & Postholer.com accounts to see if you can get to know a few like minds that way. I know I've seen it in the past where a few women have done that, met up before the hike & started out that way. Enjoy!

jpassehl
03-06-2013, 19:33
I'm flying into ATL on the 28th and trying to start hiking early on the 29th. I would be interested in hiking for the first day or so together... if we're a good match, we could keep going. I only plan on doing the first 100 miles right now though.

Kari Clancy
03-06-2013, 21:39
Rhanis, what did you do to get your folks to relax a bit?? My parents are extremely concerned for my safety, even though the AT is the safest place in the U.S.

I'd like to hike with you if I see you!

cac009
03-15-2013, 09:22
Kari- I wish I was going earlier! I am leaving mid-April and hoping to meet girls my age.

Hot Flash
03-15-2013, 14:53
My parents' and I share a main concern for my safety, as I feel is normal for everyone when planning this kind of adventure.

Will they let you go to the shopping mall by yourself yet? Did they let you go to college by yourself? Because you're in far more danger doing that than you will be while hiking the AT.

Coosa
03-17-2013, 22:44
1-Buy the Zach Davis book "Appalachian Trials" and give it to your parents to read ... read it with them.

2-Carry a neck knife [use a toggle, not a knot].

3-Use your GUT instincts ... they've probably been schooled out of you, so spend some time reconnecting before you hit the Trail.

4-You are safer on the Appalachian Trail than you are in the Mall, in a Theater, walking along the side of the road ... and you've probably done all three of those successfully.

5-Believe in yourself. Give up the victim mentality that the media would drown you with. Respond with your brain and logic rather than reacting to the unexpected with emotional drama. Be Bold, Be Strong, Be Woman!

http://youtu.be/MUBnxqEVKlk ENJOY.

Coosa
68 years young

Ladytrekker
03-17-2013, 23:10
Trail dames would another great source