PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Socks and Underwear

Koko4
03-06-2013, 13:44
I am not doing a through hike, but rather going on a 1-2 month long road-trip. Most nights, I will be sleeping in a tent, or the car, as needed. I am already a hiker / pretty outdoorsy person, so I have the right clothes as far as pants / base layers / fleece layers / etc. The only thing that I have that are all COTTON is socks and underwear.

I am already aware that showers and clothes-washings on this trip are going to be few and far between, so I wanted to plan accordingly and pack synthetic or wool socks, and synthetic underwear. Cotton just gets nasty too fast. I am leaving in late April, so the weather will be warm for the most part. I don't think I'll need any heavy-duty wool socks (already have a few pairs). However, I will need some normal trail-shoe style socks, and normal underwear. Online and in stores, all I have found are expensive options..ranging from $10+ for one pair of socks. I know SmartWool has some socks that I liked, but I don't want to pay $10/pair..I want to be able to have 4-5 pairs of socks, as well as underwear, without forking out nearly $100.

So my question is, are you guys aware of any "off-brands" of synthetic underwear / socks? I am willing to do local or online..doesn't really make a difference to me. Thank you for any tips and hints that you may have!

rocketsocks
03-06-2013, 14:00
Here's what I use
http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-premium-performance-long-boxer-black/-/A-13944471#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton and
http://www.socksaddict.com/1121-Wrightsock-Coolmesh-II-Quarter-Socks-805.aspx and when colder I add these
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3654033&cp=3707807.12850461 when on sale these work for me.

CenAZwalker
03-06-2013, 14:20
If you have a Costco in your area, I've seen packs of wool socks there. They looked like Smartwool knockoffs. I can't recall the price but it's Costco, they can't be too expensive. I use Starter brand synthetic underwear from Wal-Mart. The Champion brand from Target are probably equivalent. Make sure you check the label, I've seen underwear that the packing advertises they are "athletic and wicking" but they are mostly cotton. Look for a polyester/spandex blend. I've always wondered what one of those $40 pair of underwear feel like but can't bring myself to spend that much cash. Who knows, they may be more than worth the price.

Old Hiker
03-06-2013, 14:22
Not off-brand, but Wickers briefs and LLBean Cresta hiking socks worked well for me. I have 3 new pair of Darn Tough socks I'm trying out and they seem to be doing well.

G-FOURce
03-06-2013, 14:27
you should be able to get the REI in Buford pretty easily, so check their outlet website and look for deals there. i keep an eye on their sales all the time and can usually save quite a bit being opportunistic about purchases. i mentioned their Buford store b/c its not far from you (though in the ATL nothing is overly convenient with that traffic you have) and REI will always ship any item free to any of its stores for local pick up.