PDA

View Full Version : Gram weenie tip:

BirdBrain
03-06-2013, 15:08
This thread is for all my fellow gram weenies. Warning: It may make non-gram weenies laugh, puke, or criticize.

I just found this on the web. It shows how to get the stuff into those pesky dropper bottles.
http://www.briangreen.net/2011/03/eyedropper-bottles-ultralighters-friend.html

Couple this with food coloring dropper bottles that you can buy at your local dollar type store for 4 for a dollar, and you can be a cheap gram weenie too. Just rinse out the bottles, fill, and save enough weigh to carry 20 more M&M's per bottle used. Okay, let the flood gates open.

rocketsocks
03-06-2013, 15:35
I like it! have several eye dropper bottles that would be well suited for honey, peanut butter and jelly (maybe), eye drops o'coarse, hot sauce, reserve alcohol for gram weenie stove..ect.

Drybones
03-06-2013, 17:09
Just finished filling my Clear Eyes bottle with bleach.

hikerboy57
03-06-2013, 17:20
Just finished filling my Clear Eyes bottle with bleach.

thatll get the red out

Storm
03-06-2013, 17:49
A real gram weenie wouldn't be putting labels on the bottles.

rocketsocks
03-06-2013, 17:51
thatll get the red outAnd the Blue, Yellow....ect

CarlZ993
03-06-2013, 18:20
thatll get the red out

Now that was funny! :)

CarlZ993
03-06-2013, 19:09
thatll get the red out

Now that was funny! :)

leaftye
03-06-2013, 19:31
I use pipettes to fill my bottles with more fluid liquids. It's a much less messy way for me to fill my bottles to the perfect level.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IQTSE0/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A real gram weenie wouldn't be putting labels on the bottles.

Or at least would trim the labels.

miloandotis
03-06-2013, 23:48
I'm not a gram weenie (yet???), but love what you guys post! It helps me lighten my son's load!

HikerMom58
03-07-2013, 00:12
Sooo proud! :)

BirdBrain
03-07-2013, 01:27
No labels needed. Food coloring bottles come in a pack of 4. They have color coated caps (red, green, blue, and yellow). I use blue for Dr. Bronner's. I use Red for Purell (red is closest to pink). I use green for deet to prevent lyme disease (Lyme - lime - green). Yellow is not being used at moment. No, don't use eyedropper bottles. You are just asking for a bad time.

TrilliumTrekker
03-07-2013, 14:45
Thanks Bird Brain. I carry Aqua Mira and the two bottles weigh 3 oz. Repackaging in small dropper bottles will be great. I had read about that before.
4 for a dollar food color bottles is a great tip! Thanks.

BirdBrain
03-07-2013, 14:53
Thanks Bird Brain. I carry Aqua Mira and the two bottles weigh 3 oz. Repackaging in small dropper bottles will be great. I had read about that before.
4 for a dollar food color bottles is a great tip! Thanks.

The thing that I liked was how to get the stuff in the bottles. I did not realize the insert came out that easily. My bottles weigh 0.5 oz each. I am resupplied every 9 days or so. Dr. Bronner's is very concentrated. i recommend the unscented.

Wise Old Owl
03-07-2013, 16:31
Unscented? what about all those that don't skinny dip? Unscented won't hide hiker-fungus.

atraildreamer
03-07-2013, 17:56
I save empty nasal spray bottles. Take off the rounded tip, remove the attached tube, clean the bottle out and fill with bleach, liquid soap, or whatever.

Storm
03-07-2013, 18:17
I just gotta say this. If you are so afraid of weight that you won't carry 3 ounces of aqua mira you ain't gonna make it.

hikerboy57
03-07-2013, 19:43
I just gotta say this. If you are so afraid of weight that you won't carry 3 ounces of aqua mira you ain't gonna make it.

maybe he wants to carry 3 ounces of something else?

Storm
03-07-2013, 20:35
maybe he wants to carry 3 ounces of something else?

He can carry what he wants but just saying it doesn't make much sense to put crap in little bottles that is already in little bottles.

bfayer
03-07-2013, 21:38
He can carry what he wants but just saying it doesn't make much sense to put crap in little bottles that is already in little bottles.

UL is a hobby. I don't get people that scrapbook either, but if they enjoy it, who am I to argue :)

hikerboy57
03-07-2013, 21:49
not necessarily ul. but i figure i can comfortably carry 30 lbs. and if i can find areas where i can save a pound or two, thats a pound or two of other stuff, maybe a book or a frypan,camera,trumpet, whatever, an extra pound of bacon. its not necessarily about getting your loaded pack weight under 2 lbs, its about what you can comfortably carry and what you really would like to bring along.so if i save an ounce of this, i can take an ounce of that

MuddyWaters
03-07-2013, 21:56
A real "gram weenie" wouldnt be carrying liquid toothpaste or a heavy dropper bottle.

dry toothpaste out in lines, cut into dots,put in little tiny ziplock
Or use baking soda or tooth powder in little tiny ziplock.

The bottles AM comes in can be annoyingly hard to squeeze drops out of sometimes.

pelenaka
03-08-2013, 00:11
... if i save an ounce of this, i can take an ounce of that

Recently started working my way towards UL because of a recent Christmas gift from hubby. A dog, a dog with short legs who loves to hike. Hiking my hike slow with plenty of neros/zeros. So yeah I'm now a gram trader :)

BirdBrain
03-08-2013, 01:44
A real "gram weenie" wouldnt be carrying liquid toothpaste or a heavy dropper bottle.

The bottles AM comes in can be annoyingly hard to squeeze drops out of sometimes.

You are stealing my thunder. Pill ziplock bags was going to be my next gram weenie tip. You can get them at a dollar store at 50 for a dollar. My supplements (0.4oz per day) are going in them. I was going to do the toothpaste dots, but have changed over to baking soda in 1 as well.

urbansix
03-08-2013, 06:42
Love this. The dehydrated toothpaste drops is an excellent idea I will try. Aquamira into the lighter/smaller bottles too. Tabasco...Dr. Bonners...

Has anyone tried dehydrating Aquamira into single-serve drops? :-?

rocketsocks
03-08-2013, 07:06
Has anyone tried dehydrating Aquamira into single-serve drops? :-?Now that right there is funny!20255goot won

The Ace
03-08-2013, 09:58

A real gram weenie leaves his teeth at home.

BirdBrain
03-08-2013, 10:02
Love this. The dehydrated toothpaste drops is an excellent idea I will try. Aquamira into the lighter/smaller bottles too. Tabasco...Dr. Bonners...

Has anyone tried dehydrating Aquamira into single-serve drops? :-?

Love the bumps and the ribbing.
The more bumps, the more the timid gram weenies will have a chance to read.
Not everyone is a proud gram weenie.

Fur Queue
03-08-2013, 10:05
not necessarily ul. but i figure i can comfortably carry 30 lbs. and if i can find areas where i can save a pound or two, thats a pound or two of other stuff, maybe a book or a frypan,camera,trumpet, whatever, an extra pound of bacon. its not necessarily about getting your loaded pack weight under 2 lbs, its about what you can comfortably carry and what you really would like to bring along.so if i save an ounce of this, i can take an ounce of that

This is where I am at....trying to shave ounces to make it easier on me to haul a quality camera and even some fishing gear...even if I only use the gear once and catch a trout (or two) for dinner it will enhance the experience for my son and, at least temporarily, create the feeling of 'living off the land'....It's all Bear Grylls fault that I'm caught up in this madness....I'm off now to dry some toothpaste...never thought I'd say that...

BirdBrain
03-08-2013, 10:15
This is where I am at....trying to shave ounces to make it easier on me to haul a quality camera and even some fishing gear...even if I only use the gear once and catch a trout (or two) for dinner it will enhance the experience for my son and, at least temporarily, create the feeling of 'living off the land'....It's all Bear Grylls fault that I'm caught up in this madness....I'm off now to dry some toothpaste...never thought I'd say that...

I have saved about 2 more pounds via my weenieness recently. That was after I thought I had done what I could without spending another $750. Everything adds up. I do not believe people should attempt to shave weight to the point of things not being safe or effective. I do believe in shaving weight if it can be done with no down sides.

Also consider baking soda in a ziplock designed for pills. I have gone back and forth. I think I will be taking the baking soda. If you do go for the toothpaste dots, choose something other than peppermint. Bears love peppermint.