PDA

View Full Version : AT Hiker rescued in Unicoi County

Sly
03-06-2013, 17:53
Not sure but it looks like maps may have been able to make a rescue unnecessary, or possibly easier.

http://www.wjhl.com/story/21536851/hiker-rescued-after-being-caught-in-snow-storm-on-appalachian-trail

Slo-go'en
03-06-2013, 18:23
Doesn't say anything about her being lost, just stuck. Caught in a snow storm, conditions got tough, she got too tired to go forward or reverse. Maybe she didn't have a tent so had to call for help instead of just making camp where she was.

Sly
03-06-2013, 18:26
Doesn't say anything about her being lost, just stuck.

Right, neither did I. :D

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-06-2013, 18:30
Right, neither did I. :D

It's been a bad day today in the area. At Beech Mountain, NC, around 25 air-miles away and at approximately the same elevation (5,000-5,500'), the temp has held at around 15 degrees F all day, with snow, snow showers, and with winds at 25 gusting 35 in the morning, tailing off to 10-15 this afternoon. She must have had a place to hunker, else she might not have survived last night's and today's weather.

AO

The Cleaner
03-06-2013, 18:34
Looks like the 1st rescue of the year.With so many un or under experienced hikers hitting the trail,it seems like the number of rescues goes up every year.IMO won't be too far off from all hikers having to put up a "Rescue Deposit" prior to starting a thru hike.It seems like whenever a hiker gets a little too wet or cold they get out the cellphone and call for help.20-30 years ago a hiker rescue was a big deal and rarely happened.Then you got hikers calling it quits at a shelter and hiking out,leaving all kinds of useless wet cheap gear for volunteers to pack out....

The Cleaner
03-06-2013, 18:43
It's been a bad day today in the area. At Beech Mountain, NC, around 25 air-miles away and at approximately the same elevation (5,000-5,500'), the temp has held at around 15 degrees F all day, with snow, snow showers, and with winds at 25 gusting 35 in the morning, tailing off to 10-15 this afternoon. She must have had a place to hunker, else she might not have survived last night's and today's weather.

AO FWIW there's gonna be a lotta bad days until about mid May.Spring weather in the south is subject to violent changes but you gotta have a weather radio to hear the warnings.But to some an ipod w/music is more important.

Lone Wolf
03-06-2013, 19:08
cell phones make these so-called rescues too easy. gets a little cold and wet and hikers freak out and call for help :rolleyes:

hikingirl
03-06-2013, 19:16
Wow! you guys are not being very nice. The weather was REALLY bad. I can't imagine what you would be saying about her if she died! I'm ashamed

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 19:16
dont people watch the weather before they go out? They have been talking about this storm all week

Lone Wolf
03-06-2013, 19:21
Wow! you guys are not being very nice. The weather was REALLY bad. I can't imagine what you would be saying about her if she died! I'm ashamed

she shoulda stayed put where she was yesterday morning

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 19:23
she shoulda stayed put where she was yesterday morning
like I said, there has been talk of this storm for almost a week. She shoudl have stayed where she was. She puts other people at risk too.

broken arrow
03-06-2013, 19:34
girls just wanna have fun

The Cleaner
03-06-2013, 19:37
Just watched her story on the local news.They are acting like she is a hero for having survived her ordeal.If she had listened to a NOAA weather report and stayed put-no problem.I know of the hiker who died at Tri-Corner Knob shelter last year and wonder how many will make the same fatal mistakes.Mother nature plays nasty sometimes-YOU CAN DIE OUT THERE IF UNPREPARED.Then if you have all the right gear hypothermia will let you make bad decisions......

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 19:41
Just watched her story on the local news.They are acting like she is a hero for having survived her ordeal.If she had listened to a NOAA weather report and stayed put-no problem.I know of the hiker who died at Tri-Corner Knob shelter last year and wonder how many will make the same fatal mistakes.Mother nature plays nasty sometimes-YOU CAN DIE OUT THERE IF UNPREPARED.Then if you have all the right gear hypothermia will let you make bad decisions......
Unfortunately thru's put their "agenda" before common sense.

Praha4
03-06-2013, 19:50
these type incidents seem to happen every year ... people underestimate the effects of winter weather and hypothermia. Another reason I'd wait til April to start a thru hike.

MuddyWaters
03-06-2013, 20:00

There really isnt BAD weather, excepting maybe tornadoes and hurricanes.
Only weather conditions you failed to prepare for, mentally, physically, and gear-wise.
Most weather conditions are forseeable.
(Just ask Tipi Walter.)

We dont have blizzards and single digit temps in July in NC
But we do in March, and sometimes in April.

If you choose to not carry the gear you MIGHT need
You must carry extra prudence, and knowledge.

Sly
03-06-2013, 20:19
If she was around Unaka she must have started in early February and been prepared for cold weather. I'm wondering if she was carrying maps because there's a road that's near the trail and easier to travel.

Hmmm... after watching the video I'm not sure maps would have helped.

ChinMusic
03-06-2013, 20:27
dont people watch the weather before they go out? They have been talking about this storm all week
Actually this is not true. I started my thru on Monday with a careful examination of the weather. All that was mentioned was a chance of rain for Tues. Many of us were caught by surprise at heavy thunderstorms followed immediately with temps dropping into the mid 20s and severe wind. I would be surprised if she was the only one. I saw van loads of folks heading for a hostile at around noon today at Gooch Gap. I'm sure other gaps were similar.

I stood by my chosen campsite for an hour last night waiting for a break in the storms that never came. I was fine once I set up and slept warmly, but I was concerned for some of the newbies I had met. The conditions had hypothermia written all over it. I hiked a shortened day to Woody Gap and chose hotel it this evening. Just because I wanted to.

Cookerhiker
03-06-2013, 20:31
....But to some an ipod w/music is more important.

Unfortunately thru's put their "agenda" before common sense.

Can't disagree with you guys - sign of the times....

WingedMonkey
03-06-2013, 20:54
Actually this is not true. I started my thru on Monday with a careful examination of the weather. All that was mentioned was a chance of rain for Tues. Many of us were caught by surprise at heavy thunderstorms followed immediately with temps dropping into the mid 20s and severe wind. I would be surprised if she was the only one. I saw van loads of folks heading for a hostile at around noon today at Gooch Gap. I'm sure other gaps were similar.

I stood by my chosen campsite for an hour last night waiting for a break in the storms that never came. I was fine once I set up and slept warmly, but I was concerned for some of the newbies I had met. The conditions had hypothermia written all over it. I hiked a shortened day to Woody Gap and chose hotel it this evening. Just because I wanted to.

It's barely March. It's the Appalachian. No one should be surprised.

ChinMusic
03-06-2013, 21:02
It's barely March. It's the Appalachian. No one should be surprised.
I was prepared and did fine. But to blame someone for not looking at the forecast is just wrong. This event was not on a forecast, at least as of Monday morning. That was my only point.

Iron Owl
03-06-2013, 21:11
One factor to consider is "back in the day" the woods and weather were something to be concerned about and others were also concerned about them...if anything people were encouraged to take a lot more stuff than they needed. Today there are thousands of internet heroes explaining how you don't need this or don't need that because it's extra weight...yadda yadda- but the woods and weather haven't gotten any less dangerous. I think that definitely skews people's planning.

I was out on the GA trail in early February. Most of the weather was just fine for people who follow the "normal" recommendations I see (in fact all of the nights)...except 1. After rain earlier in the week- that night the temps were around 5-10 and winds were gusting to 50+mph and we had brief times of whiteout snow. That 1 night is when people get in trouble, people need to plan for the exception- but the encouragement is to plan for the average.

Of course I live in NH where winter deaths in the White's are a sad reminder of this on a regular basis.

jesse
03-06-2013, 21:15
I was prepared and did fine. But to blame someone for not looking at the forecast is just wrong. This event was not on a forecast, at least as of Monday morning. That was my only point.

Gotta side with winged monkey on this one. Early March, you don't need a weather forecast. Prepare for hypothermia conditions. Besides, she's headed for North Carolina, its not going to improve for a while.

jesse
03-06-2013, 21:20
My bad. I thought she was in Georgia. Still doesn't change things.

Malto
03-06-2013, 21:22
I just read through a number of journals from AT hikers. This "rescue" isn't too surprising. Shocking that hordes of inexperienced, out of shape and unprepared hikers starting on the AT results in at least one rescue. No idea what her experience level was but this little episode should remind folks that suggest "no experience needed, just learn on the trail" that the mountains can bite.

Sapelo
03-06-2013, 21:28
The "go-light" mantra can get alot of folks in trouble in late winter and early spring on the AT in the SE. I have hiked through the Smokies in February wearing snowshoes. I have to wonder about the three through hikers I met on Springer Mt right before New Years Eve. All were wearing shorts, moab ventilators and were not carrying a down jacket. I have summitted some major mts in Europe and South America so I know what cold is. Trust me the windchill was too cold to be wearing shorts that day.

k2basecamp
03-06-2013, 21:53
I must agree with Iron Owl and would also add that here in the Whites people use their cell phones way too much to call for help when the reason they need help is that they were negligently unprepared. Before the age of "cell phone rescue" people were much better prepared or wouldn't even think about venturing out. Too many use the cell phone in place of the proper equipment and/or experience.

hikerboy57
03-06-2013, 21:55
I must agree with Iron Eagle and would also add that here in the Whites people use their cell phones way too much to call for help when the reason they need help is that they were negligently unprepared. Before the age of "cell phone rescue" people were much better prepared or wouldn't even think about venturing out. Too many use the cell phone in place of the proper equipment and/or experience.
knew enough not not to trust any weather report for the mountains

Mountain Mike
03-06-2013, 22:06
Glad she is fine but agree with people thinking a cell phone replaces proper gear. I carried an old analogic altimiter on my thru. It set me back quite a bit 25 years ago, & was heavy for it's size. Today you can buy one incorporated into a watch for $25. It helps with weather forecasting. Between noticing wind trends & cloud formations it was a good general reference & I got pretty good at it. It actually became pretty fun.

ChinMusic
03-06-2013, 22:15
Glad she is fine but agree with people thinking a cell phone replaces proper gear. I carried an old analogic altimiter on my thru. It set me back quite a bit 25 years ago, & was heavy for it's size. Today you can buy one incorporated into a watch for $25. It helps with weather forecasting. Between noticing wind trends & cloud formations it was a good general reference & I got pretty good at it. It actually became pretty fun.

Oddly my Suunto Core (ABC watch) did not trip into storm alert yesterday, even w the Tstorms approaching. That was disappointing. Either that or I missed it. I did see the storms coming via radar on my iPhone from Justus Mountain. I lost the race to Justus Creek.....

Slo-go'en
03-06-2013, 22:21
If she was around Unaka she must have started in early February and been prepared for cold weather. I'm wondering if she was carrying maps because there's a road that's near the trail and easier to travel.

Hmmm... after watching the video I'm not sure maps would have helped.

I was wondering if she was a thru-hiker but she said she's headed for Maine, so I guess so. But to be 350 miles up the trail, you'd think this wasn't the first time she's had to deal with that kind of weather? Unless she didn't actually start at Springer - oh well, hard tell'en, not know'en. Guess we'll have to go with baseless speculation as usual.

Unaka mountian is like a little piece of New England, I can see how the weather can get nasty there.

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 22:22
Interesting, weather stations I checked on Friday Sat had said that there was a good chance that a winter storm could develop for the southeast and the weather could change drastically mid week.

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 22:26
It was forecasted Friday and Saturday per the weather channel, WMUR, and even the station in Asheville.

ChinMusic
03-06-2013, 22:27
It was forecasted Friday and Saturday per the weather channel, WMUR, and even the station in Asheville.
I was using Suches, GA as my focus. Not Asheville

HikerMom58
03-06-2013, 22:30

Glad you are doing well Chin... you know we are pulling for ya! :)

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 22:31
One thing to note, The area around the Smokies is a unique ecosystem and weather behaves very sporadic, north Georgia included. I grew up in NC, lived in the mtns for a couple of years and know that crazy crazy stuff happens in March. 2010, crazy blizzard dumped up to 3 feet of Snow on the ridges in the Smokies and areas north and south

ChinMusic
03-06-2013, 22:36
One thing to note, The area around the Smokies is a unique ecosystem and weather behaves very sporadic, north Georgia included. I grew up in NC, lived in the mtns for a couple of years and know that crazy crazy stuff happens in March. 2010, crazy blizzard dumped up to 3 feet of Snow on the ridges in the Smokies and areas north and south
I agree. Not all newbies know this. That is where the forecasts get them in trouble. I saw van loads leaving the trail mid day today. Some prob before that but I chose to sleep in and didn't pack up til after 10. I did forget to loosen the laces on my shoes last night. Jammed em in tho. Saw one poor gal hiking on her Crocs w her frozen boots hanging from her pack.

Mountain Mike
03-06-2013, 22:40
Mountains make their own weather, Pilgrim! LOL. To many don't know this. Glad you are doing ok Chin.

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 22:41
Good luck and stay warm down there. We are due to get the same storm. Where are you now?

I agree. Not all newbies know this. That is where the forecasts get them in trouble. I saw van loads leaving the trail mid day today. Some prob before that but I chose to sleep in and didn't pack up til after 10. I did forget to loosen the laces on my shoes last night. Jammed em in tho. Saw one poor gal hiking on her Crocs w her frozen boots hanging from her pack.

ChinMusic
03-06-2013, 22:46
Good luck and stay warm down there. We are due to get the same storm. Where are you now?
I hitched a ride from Woody to Dahlonega this afternoon. Kinda a short day but it sets me up for Neels tomorrow. I could have gone on to Lance Creek. Got to clean up and get Chinese food. The Chinese food was first on my list.

hikerboy57
03-06-2013, 22:47
I hitched a ride from Woody to Dahlonega this afternoon. Kinda a short day but it sets me up for Neels tomorrow. I could have gone on to Lance Creek. Got to clean up and get Chinese food. The Chinese food was first on my list.
was it any good?

RF_ace
03-06-2013, 22:51
This was my advice to a potential thru at my local outfitter, get some ear plugs and mind your weather this year

SouthMark
03-06-2013, 22:56
I reread the news story and it did not say that she called for help.

"About 4:30 a.m. Wednesday, the Unicoi County Sheriff's Office dispatch received a call from a friend of the hiker.
By 6:30 a.m., search crews said they were able to reach the woman by phone, a remarkable fact according to people familiar with the area."

ChinMusic
03-06-2013, 23:01
was it any good?
Damn good. But maybe I was just hungry.

hikerboy57
03-06-2013, 23:04
Damn good. But maybe I was just hungry.
i remember coming off the trail into gorham one year and went to have chinese food,ordered a ton of it, huge plate of the worst fried rice ive ever had.i ate the whole thing though.
the food was terrible ,but the portions were huge

atmilkman
03-06-2013, 23:05
Here's a link to a friend of mines blog. He's a retired policeman from Pahokee, FL. He's taken a fair amount of zeros already. he's 18 days into his hike. Trying to decide his next move in the Smokies. Sums up what it's been like pretty good. Well just look for yourself. http://timontheat.blogspot.com/2013/03/day-18-fontana-inn-lodge-snowed-in.html

atmilkman
03-06-2013, 23:06
Glad you are doing well Chin... you know we are pulling for ya! :)
Ditto on this Chin. Glad your doing good.

Slo-go'en
03-07-2013, 00:03
It's definately turned into a real winter this season. Not a good year to try and "beat the crowds". The motels must be loving it though.

Mountain Mike
03-07-2013, 01:31
Something all potential thrus should consider. Don't just read last years journals. Last year was mild. Go back several years.

atmilkman
03-07-2013, 01:38
Something all potential thrus should consider. Don't just read last years journals. Last year was mild. Go back several years.
Another friend of mine thru'd last year and started on March 1st and never saw snow.

ChinMusic
03-07-2013, 09:01
Another friend of mine thru'd last year and started on March 1st and never saw snow.
Yeah, but I got the cool ice-in-beard pics for the memories. One thing was kinda odd. I couldn't wear my gloves while hiking even in those winds. Even my shells felt too hot. My hands felt fine til I stopped. My left ear was getting hammered from the wind direction. When I stopped to hitch at Woody was the coldest I had been on the trip. Man it was blowing thru that gap.

The Cleaner
03-07-2013, 09:02
Latest weather forecast is for sun & mid 60's here in Greeneville,elev 1200f,by this weekend.Up on Camp creek Bald / Jerry's Cabin shelter area the temps may hit 50 at that elevation and any snow won't melt too much.Next week it's rain and 50's here then cold and snow Wed. nite.Some hikers just don't understand that Spring weather is very changeable and should be prepared for cold till Damascus and possibly further if you started around March 1.....

tjkenney67
03-07-2013, 09:23
Bobby Joe.. Thanks for the mention... Currently on day 2 at the Fontana Lodge. There are no less than 15 thru hikers here this morning. The weather is looking better today. Some have already headed out to the trail this morning. I'm waiting on mail drop to arrive and will assess the conditions again. If it looks good, ill head to the Fontana Hilton for the night and hit the trail in the morning.... Safety first.

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-07-2013, 09:33

"I was using Suches, GA as my focus".

With all due respect, therein lies the problem. Suches, GA is <3,000' in elevation and 100-125 air miles from the trouble spot of yesterday. Ambient air temps drop 3-5 deg F per 1,000', while wind speeds can easily double between 2,940 at Suches and 5,000' at Unaka Mountain. Forecasts for the higher elevations of the Smoky and Blue Ridge mountains are readily available. I've found those from Raysweather.com to be particularly good for the TN-NC-VA border area as well as to the southwest towards Asheville. Ray's came close enough to nailing the Hurricane Sandy forecast that the SOBO stranded at Tricorner Knob and subsequently flown out would not likely have set out had he had Ray's or another better forecast. Between Ray's and a goodly handful of other forecasts, as noted in this thread, this week's storm was most certainly forecast, and the forecast turned out to be dead on target. Failure to access the type of forecast one needs is no less of a failure than poor gear or lack of gear. Combinations of failure to plan and poor gear gets people killed in the mountains. It's not picking on this earnest individual to say "Face it, Flounder.........."

AO

atmilkman
03-07-2013, 10:46
Yeah, but I got the cool ice-in-beard pics for the memories. One thing was kinda odd. I couldn't wear my gloves while hiking even in those winds. Even my shells felt too hot. My hands felt fine til I stopped. My left ear was getting hammered from the wind direction. When I stopped to hitch at Woody was the coldest I had been on the trip. Man it was blowing thru that gap.
Good luck today Chin. Hope you got that hitch back to the trail lined up. Will be following along till time for me to go. The pics do look "cool". :cool:

atmilkman
03-07-2013, 10:55
Bobby Joe.. Thanks for the mention... Currently on day 2 at the Fontana Lodge. There are no less than 15 thru hikers here this morning. The weather is looking better today. Some have already headed out to the trail this morning. I'm waiting on mail drop to arrive and will assess the conditions again. If it looks good, ill head to the Fontana Hilton for the night and hit the trail in the morning.... Safety first.
No problem Tim. Who knows maybe your blog may help someone make a decision that wont get them in trouble like the hiker in the OP. Good luck today. Will be following along with you also till time for me to head to the trail.

Praha4
03-07-2013, 10:56
hey Chin,

wat motel did u end up at coming out of Woody Gap? just curious. be safe and have a great hike

Praha4
03-07-2013, 11:00
Woody Gap is always a dang wind tunnel. So far this east coast/AT winter reminds me a bit of Jan-March of 2010 ... just hope we don't see the same number of tornadoes in Mar-May this year.

Almost There
03-07-2013, 11:02
Reminds me of a girl that came off Blood Mountain about 4 years back, early March, with a 15lb pack. She was in a windshirt, and shorts. Granted ain't thru'd yet, but March hiking you need to carry more stuff, hence I carry a bigger pack, lower rated sleeping bag, etc. My summer gear comes in around 20lbs with water and food, but figure I'm closer 35 pounds for winter hiking...I'd rather carry more than be dead.

The Solemates
03-07-2013, 12:11
all this arguing over checking the forecast.....i dont quite understand why you should need to look at a forecast to begin with. its winter in the mountains - be prepared for anything regardless of some "forecast".

Almost There
03-07-2013, 12:21
all this arguing over checking the forecast.....i dont quite understand why you should need to look at a forecast to begin with. its winter in the mountains - be prepared for anything regardless of some "forecast".

100% agree!!!

vamelungeon
03-07-2013, 13:19
From the news reports, it seems like this lady wasn't carrying a tent. This is a perfect example why "I'll just hike shelter to shelter and not carry a tent" is a bad idea.
They had the lady on the news just now, but talked over the video of her. Black lady, graying hair, would loved to have actually heard her account of what happened but it wasn't a big story for the local station I guess.

SouthMark
03-07-2013, 13:41
Just saw in an interview with her that she did have a tarp and had it pitched for shelter. She talked about having to constantly knock the snow off of it.

Malto
03-07-2013, 13:59
Reminds me of a girl that came off Blood Mountain about 4 years back, early March, with a 15lb pack. She was in a windshirt, and shorts. Granted ain't thru'd yet, but March hiking you need to carry more stuff, hence I carry a bigger pack, lower rated sleeping bag, etc. My summer gear comes in around 20lbs with water and food, but figure I'm closer 35 pounds for winter hiking...I'd rather carry more than be dead.

weight does not equal safety. I hiked 88 miles last weekend, 70+ in snow with a total pack weight of 10-12 lbs depending on food weight. But I was completely comfortable hiking in sub freezing windy weather and while temperatures only went down to the teens I could have easily weathered any of the weather talked about in this thread. I have enough cold weather experience to take what is needed and even had micro spikes in case the snow turned into ice. Weight is not the issue here, experience is.

Ewok11
03-07-2013, 14:01
I grew up in North GA around the Helen/Dahlonega area and our general forecast predictions (the ones we made, not the meteorologists) for this time of year was to expect all four seasons....in the same week.

A really young guy my husband works with decided to take off with a buddy a few weeks ago when the last snow hit the NC mountains for a weekend hiking/camping trip in the Pisgah; knowing it was supposed to snow, with almost no cold weather experience and against the advice of many people. They made it approximately five miles up and over a mountain and then got hit with temps in the teens, 20 mph winds and several inches of snow on the ground with drifts of two feet plus. They were not prepared at all for cold weather camping. By sheer luck they made it out the next day but had to wait until their tent thawed enough they could open the door. Glad they made it back alive and with all their appendages but the husband and I were both ready to hit the dude as soon as we saw him again.

Tennessee Viking
03-07-2013, 14:23
Always expect snow until the latter part of April or even May. I heard of scouts getting trapped at Thomas Knob in a freak snow storm in April. Always expect the unexpected.

I am guessing they found her going up the grade to Curley Maple Shelter. Its steep but not a long walk back to the trailhead. If the lady was just right around there, she should have just walked back down the mountain to NOC or Johnny's not trudge farther.

If she was at Cherry Gap, or on any other parts of Unaka, that area is pretty accessible. It has a number of access points to Unaka Mtn Road/Red Fork Road. You just have to have a map or guide book to figure how to cut back to the forest road.

ChuckBrown
03-07-2013, 15:13
in 2000 i started on feb 29, only saw a little dusting of snow, but lots of rain.

Creek Dancer
03-07-2013, 15:18

Are you seriously suggesting not to even bother checking the forecast? Just throw caution to the wind...so to speak?? Knowing the forecast can help you make a good decision about whether to go ahead and make camp in that gap, or push on over that ridge. Of course everyone should be prepared for any kind of weather and part of that preparation is knowing what the weather is mostly likely going do. I always check the forecast and I also keep an eye to the sky if bad weather is threatening.

Feral Bill
03-07-2013, 15:23
If as stated, she was carrying a fifty pound pack, including a tarp, I would guess that she was well prepared with gear. I suspect she fell prey to the urge to keep pressing on regardless, which could happen to anyone. In hindsight, she should have stopped before she was exhausted and set up a cozy camp to wait out the storm. Best of luck to her when she returns to the trail.

Mags
03-07-2013, 15:24
Are you seriously suggesting not to even bother checking the forecast? Just throw caution to the wind...so to speak?? Knowing the forecast can help you make a good decision about whether to go ahead and make camp in that gap, or push on over that ridge. Of course everyone should be prepared for any kind of weather and part of that preparation is knowing what the weather is mostly likely going do. I always check the forecast and I also keep an eye to the sky if bad weather is threatening.

I rarely check weather FWIW on overnight trips....

The only time I check weather is for a day hike. Why? Because if I am only out for a day,and the weather is gong to be nasty, I'll just recalculate where I'm going. :)

Creek Dancer
03-07-2013, 15:35
I am always interested in what the weather is expected to do, even when I am not backpacking. I like to know. To his own. :)

vamelungeon
03-07-2013, 15:43
Just saw in an interview with her that she did have a tarp and had it pitched for shelter. She talked about having to constantly knock the snow off of it.
I stand corrected. They didn't play any audio of her in the interview I saw.

Almost There
03-07-2013, 15:57
weight does not equal safety. I hiked 88 miles last weekend, 70+ in snow with a total pack weight of 10-12 lbs depending on food weight. But I was completely comfortable hiking in sub freezing windy weather and while temperatures only went down to the teens I could have easily weathered any of the weather talked about in this thread. I have enough cold weather experience to take what is needed and even had micro spikes in case the snow turned into ice. Weight is not the issue here, experience is.

Rigth but notice I also said she was in shorts and a wind shirt, because she didn't have pants or a heavier coat. They were gram freaks, who were newbs to the trail. You hit it on the head...you have experience. I could go lighter if I wanted to as well, but I prefer carrying a little more just in case. I had a bad New Years a few years back on the trail...and I didn't call for a a rescue.:eek:

The Cleaner
03-07-2013, 16:26
It's barely March. It's the Appalachian. No one should be surprised. It snows in April too,usually after a brief warm spell:eek:.And I've seen snow flurries&cold&wet on 5-14 many years ago.I wouldn't send my winter gear home till after the Grayson Highlands-Mt. Rogers area....

Tipi Walter
03-07-2013, 18:20
I am always interested in what the weather is expected to do, even when I am not backpacking. I like to know. To his own. :)

Occasionally it's important to know what's coming. I was camping on the BMT at Crowder Camp on a ridge in the Citico and listened to my radio blurt out something about a "100mph windstorm" coming from Nashville and headed my way, with lightning bolts and all the rest. So, I packed up the kit and did a 2 mile nighthike and dropped 2,000 feet into Slickrock Creek valley. Prudent.

Another time I was out during the April tornadoes of 2010(?) on top of Flats Mt at 4,000 feet and the radio was pinging all sorts of crap so I spent all day dropping down into the Bald River wilderness and found a campsite next to a small rock cliff which offered protection from falling trees.

A radio can save your butt but only for giant storms headed your way, especially blizzards. When a monster winter storm is coming, everybody knows about it and the radio wee'tards (weathermen) go wild with advance notice. It's prudent to hear them out and seek lower ground if possible, unless you feel like staying put at 6,000 feet on a mountain in TN or NC or VA and for certain getting stuck for a week or 10 days. Or you can camp up next to a low falling into-the-valley trailhead and slog thru the deep snow off the high ground. It's much easier if going steeply down and if it's deep enough it's more like swimming than backpacking.

Going up in such crap is purely hellish. Sitting put is a-okay in my book.

ChinMusic
03-08-2013, 09:12
Ditto......

ChinMusic
03-08-2013, 09:15
hey Chin,

wat motel did u end up at coming out of Woody Gap? just curious. be safe and have a great hike
Quality Inn. Nice Chinese food right next door. Called for a shuttle in the morning.
In hindsight the hostel might have been a better idea, but w the hotel I could spread my stuff out.

Malto
03-08-2013, 09:27
There has been a bit more information about the rescue listed in the news feed. Here is a quote from the hiker from LinkedIn

"I am presently thru-hiking "Aergia" the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine during a winter journey started Oct. 19th 2012. To bring awareness to better physical health and mental wellness for older and disabled persons who want to be the master of their body and not the body being the master. To bring about a healing retreat Purple Gateway of Empowerment for healers in need of private place to renew self."

it would appear that she has been on the trail almost five months. I wouldn't expect someone that has wintered on the trail to require a rescue.

rocketsocks
03-08-2013, 09:32
Quality Inn. Nice Chinese food right next door. Called for a shuttle in the morning.
In hindsight the hostel might have been a better idea, but w the hotel I could spread my stuff out.Was it a chin chin Chinese restaurant?...hehe that was funny, glad to see your doing ok!

rocketsocks
03-08-2013, 09:38
I am always interested in what the weather is expected to do, even when I am not backpacking. I like to know. To his own. :)Huge weather junkie here, I couldn't leave the house without checking the weather if I tried....it's just what I like to do, and a small hand held radio goes with, this is not so much a safety thing, as it is a way for me to bone up on my forecasting skills....see what's going on, then check the weather and see if the weather man's write..hehe..he/she/they usually are, and I'm getting better too.:sun

Tinker
03-08-2013, 09:51
After a lifetime of landscaping and winter snow removal, I am addicted to the Weather Channel (a relative newcomer, age-wise, compared to me), but I mostly look at the radar maps and computer predictions (which vary greatly) and try to figure out what will actually happen. It's almost a form of entertainment (which my wife totally does not get :D).

When I go on a longish section hike I check out the weather beforehand and arrange my gear accordingly. If I did a thruhike I would likely be carrying more gear. Some of that gear would be rarely needed, but when it is needed it is needed. This is something often lost on the short term hiker or "weekender".

Experience might help when gear is lacking.

You're not likely to be able to reverse the two and come out on top.

Tipi Walter
03-08-2013, 10:47
Huge weather junkie here, I couldn't leave the house without checking the weather if I tried....it's just what I like to do, and a small hand held radio goes with, this is not so much a safety thing, as it is a way for me to bone up on my forecasting skills....see what's going on, then check the weather and see if the weather man's write..hehe..he/she/they usually are, and I'm getting better too.:sun

It takes a while to get the hang of an area but for me I get either Knoxville or Chattanooga weather reports which are relevant to either the Smokies or the Cohuttas, respectively. When the Knox wee'tards call for 20F I know sure as stool that my mountain will be butt cold in the 8F to 10F range. If they call for snow they usually gear their forecast to the Park too so where I am anywhere south of the Park will certainly see snow and sometimes deep snow.

On my last January trip to the Big Frog the Chattanooga wee'tards called for 8 days straight of rain and I got terminally bummed. Pulled a few zeros, 5 days, in an 18 day trip, which is alot.

Point is, whatever the big town weather report is, make it worse in your mind since you're probably camping on higher ground somewhere either up or down wind.

k2basecamp
03-08-2013, 21:06
Glad she is safe but she was clearly inexperienced and in way over her head. The AT is not the nice walk in the park as I'm sure she discovered. Wonder when and where she started? A hard way to get your 15 min of fame.