PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this hat?

stillatit
03-06-2013, 18:57
I have kept two Desert Rat Hats limping along for over 15 years (Sequel of Durango, CO made it, patented it, then went out of business) but they are getting pretty, well, "ratty" themselves now.

I found this roughly similar hat on line and before I shell out the dough, I thought I should tap into the large number of hiking colleagues here who have given me their valuable impressions on other things.

Anyone in the know on this Sun Runner Hat (by OR) who would give his/her opinion will be appreciated:

http://www.outdoorresearch.ca/ca_en/or-gear/sun-runner-cap.html

http://trikeasylum.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/trike-pilot-cap-by-or/

I'm also open to any other suggestions for caps that cover the ears and neck. Those Desert Rat Hats were excellent even in the the cold and snow (they stayed warm with their reflective foil inside).

:D

leaftye
03-06-2013, 18:59
The OR Sunrunner hat is very popular out west, and for very good reason. I only wish that the cape out stretch to the front of the brim. Not all the time, just when the sun is at certain angles.

SCRUB HIKER
03-06-2013, 20:49
I have one of those for the PCT this year. I haven't actually used it in the sun yet, but what I can say is that so far it seems really, really comfortable to wear, with or without the skirt. I normally don't wear hats of any kind because my head is enormous and funny-shaped, but I got this in XL and it fits great. I wear it on practice hikes without the sun-skirt (the sun is a myth in western Oregon) and it stays comfortable when I sweat under it.

jeffmeh
03-06-2013, 22:16
Never tried one, but I do like the removable skirt. I would rarely use the skirt, but it would be great to have on those days when it is needed.

stillatit
03-09-2013, 18:53
Thx to all for the input.

Scrubby: I hiked 5 days on the PCT on S. Oregon (SB from Crater Lake) and it was gloriously sunny the entire first 4 days. Then the last was just like normal, rainy all day. Saw a great stalking of a deer by a coyote in that rain, however. It made up for the rain---in fact, the rain probably prevented either of them from sensing me. Deer got away, as usual.

rocketsocks
03-09-2013, 19:20
Kinda have achieved the same thing by placing a bandana over the head and putting on ball cap, same but different.