PDA

View Full Version : Almost there. Suggestions welcome :)

todd52
03-06-2013, 21:45
Hi

Believe it or not, this whole hiking/getting gear thing began as a desire to have a small, self-contained emergency "prep kit" on hand. Once I'd added a few supplies that might be needed, I intended to put it away, forget about it and move onto something else.

Well, this soon turned into a "camping kit" and a "hiking kit", and a "homeless kit" and then a "wilderness survival kit". It just seemed to get very addictive. Almost like a hobby. It was really fascinating to be able to light a fire using a magnesium bar and the various penny stoves I created were lots of fun too.

So now I have almost all the gear I need for practically any situation but I'm still trying to shave the weight off and get rid of things that might look "cool", are redundant or just aren't needed. You know, it would be nice if all you needed wa a small pocket knife, a magnesium bar, a cordage belt and maybe a pot for boiling water but I realize that that would be too much like survival and hiking is supposed to have at least some element of fun and convenience to it.

I still have a lot of things in there original packaging sitting in my pack which make it bulky (I am simple gear-weight-testing at the moment and want to be able to return/exchnage some things if necessary). My pack (with everything except food) weighs 25 pounds. If I add the 2-3 person tent, add a small bottle of alcohol (for the stove) and fill both alluminum water canisters, the whole things weighs 20 pounds. The weight feels comfortable but I'd like to get it down to about 15 pounds although I'm not sure that is possible because you end up having to make numerous trade-offs. I've discovered that the sleeping bag takes up between 1/3-1/2 of the inside of the pack - even though it's a very small one. I also have a lot of clothing in there. I've also tried to make all of my gear legal so no large knives, machetes, axes or anything else that could cause issues.

If I remove all of the packinging and make a few minor adjustments, I would probably have enough room for all of my gear except the mat (which weighs nothing but is rather large). I've been going around and around in my mind about whether I should get rid of the tent and just get a hammock or if I should keep the tent and get rid of the mat or if I should just sleep on the ground like a cowboy in my sleeping bag. I've got to get the weight down. The things that weigh the most are water (which you MUST have), the tent, the sterno (which I don't think I'll keep), the alcohol (I need this for my stove) and a package of sinkers (part of my "survival" stuff).

I also tried going slowly on a bike with my pack on and felt somewhat unstable - and the seat was pushing hard up against my rear end which didn't exactly feel good. Again, the wieght.

Can't think of much else at the moment. I know people have asked me about me gear list. I haven't posted it yet because I haven't finished refining it and I don't want to post it every time I make a minor change but I have been working very hard on getting everything "perfect".

todd52
03-06-2013, 21:49
CORRECTION: "My pack (with everything except food) weighs 25 pounds. If I add the 2-3 person tent, add a small bottle of alcohol (for the stove) and fill both alluminum water canisters, the whole things weighs 20 pounds."

SHOULD HAVE READ: "My pack (with everything except food) weighs 25 pounds. If I add the 2-3 person tent, add a small bottle of alcohol (for the stove) and fill both alluminum water canisters, the whole things weighs 29 pounds."

marylandmymaryland
03-07-2013, 10:08
funny enough, i sort of got in to backpacking in the same manner. i was compiling a bug out bag and decided that with just a few less items that i really didn't need, i was set up for backpacking.
things that i ditched:
-half of my medical kit
-tin of minimalist fishing gear
-larger knife
-100 ft of 550 paracord
-a few other items

you can ditch the big knife if you're going to be backpacking, a small knife will suffice.
ditch the sterno and go with the alcohol stove.
you are going to need some sort of shelter, so either go with the tent or look in to hammocks or bivy's.

todd52
03-07-2013, 13:16
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at various tents (too heavy/bulky), hammocks (two exposed and no netting or much room), tarps (way too heavy/bulky) and bivys (too expensive and must be special ordered).

One thing I have recently read in a number of places is how you can take large, heavy duty plastic garbage bags or several ponchos and make a bivy out of them. Space blankets can also come in handy for keeping body heat in. Has anyone ever tried these methods for warmth and shelter?.

todd52
03-07-2013, 13:22
Another thing is to wear layers of loose-fitting clothing, including a hooded jacket. At night, you sit down with your back up against a tree or other structure. You then pull you shirt(s), sweater(s) and coat(s) completely over your knees/legs until they are covered completely (your shoes/boots will protect your feet) and then draw your arms into your upper-body layers of clothing. Finally, you get your head inside and you are in a warm, cozy cacoon. If it is raining, place a poncho or garbage bag over yourself. You should also have somethng to sit on such as a log, mat, rock, etc.

Back in the day, I have slept all night in many feet of snow using this method. It is self-contained so no bulky tent or tarp needed. I don't know if anyone else does this. I just did it on my own. It worked quite well.

Venchka
03-08-2013, 13:36
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at various tents (too heavy/bulky), hammocks (two exposed and no netting or much room), tarps (way too heavy/bulky) and bivys (too expensive and must be special ordered).

One thing I have recently read in a number of places is how you can take large, heavy duty plastic garbage bags or several ponchos and make a bivy out of them. Space blankets can also come in handy for keeping body heat in. Has anyone ever tried these methods for warmth and shelter?.

Another thing is to wear layers of loose-fitting clothing, including a hooded jacket. At night, you sit down with your back up against a tree or other structure. You then pull you shirt(s), sweater(s) and coat(s) completely over your knees/legs until they are covered completely (your shoes/boots will protect your feet) and then draw your arms into your upper-body layers of clothing. Finally, you get your head inside and you are in a warm, cozy cacoon. If it is raining, place a poncho or garbage bag over yourself. You should also have somethng to sit on such as a log, mat, rock, etc.

Back in the day, I have slept all night in many feet of snow using this method. It is self-contained so no bulky tent or tarp needed. I don't know if anyone else does this. I just did it on my own. It worked quite well.

I will address the second quote first.
My first 16 hours in the U.S. Army.
Early March.
First afternoon. Sworn in at the Customs House in New Orleans.
First evening. Loaded onto a Greyhound Bus. Destination: Fort Polk, LA
First morning. Arrived Ft. Polk early AM. Cold rain. Herded into a large canvas field tent set up in an asphalt parking lot. Found a spot near the outside wall. Laid down. Went to sleep.
First morning, 4 AM. "ATTENTION" Struggled to rise from the asphalt. Introduced to Army Mess Hall breakfast.
"You're rambling. What's your point, Wayne?"
My point? I learned that I could, if forced to:
Travel by any available means.
Sleep anywhere in any conditions.
Eat anything placed in front of me.
I could be much more comfortable with planning and foresight.

I will now address the first quote.
I own two tents. 1 person, All seasons, 3 lbs. 9 oz. in summer trim, 3 lbs. 13 oz. in winter trim. 2 person, 3 1/2 seasons, 6 pounds (+ or -) for the full tent + fly, 3 pounds ( or less) for the fly & poles in light mode.
I own a "tarp", MSR Heptawing. 1 lb. 3 oz. for tarp, stakes, line, stuff sack. Hiking poles (already with me) for support.
I have never used a hammock. The good ones offer full weather/insect protection.
I have never used a Bivy and see no reason to try one.

Perhaps you need to read "The Complete Walker" by the late Colin Fletcher.

Wayne