PDA

View Full Version : Early spring section Erwin-Pearisburg weather?

Runsalone
03-06-2013, 21:57
Hello all. If all goes according to plan Im hoping to knock off another section this year, Erwin to Pearisburg, as the title suggests.

I just wanted to pick the collective brains here about the weather I can expect, and see if I might need to make any adjustments gearwise. Ill be starting out march 23ish, which seems early enough in the season that far north to cause me to wonder.

Am planning on taking the same stuff as my section in 08 Springer-Erwin started march 12th. I hiked in reasonable comfort and safety then with the current selection.

Would love to hear any advice about this section or highlights to look forward to along with any weather advice. Personally i cant wait for grayson highlands! :)

flemdawg1
03-07-2013, 13:47
The same gear you took should work again. Not much diff weather wise between Mid-march Smokies and late March Grayson.

Runsalone
03-07-2013, 17:54
The same gear you took should work again. Not much diff weather wise between Mid-march Smokies and late March Grayson.

Thanks for the response. Thats what I figured but I just wanted to confirm here. Most to all of my hiking has been in the Ga NC Tenn area and i feel pretty confident about what to expect around there at what time of year.

I know its not Maine but I dont wanna underestimate Ma Nature just the same LOL!

Oh and im looking forward ,this go round, to using my Precip instead of the Frogg Toggs i had in 08. Ill save the lightweight shell for late spring-summer. I sure was wishing i had a proper hood going over albert mountain last time.

Runsalone
03-17-2013, 22:47
Should I expect all the trail related stuff to be open before peak season? Campgrounds hostels and such?

Less than a week away now. Getting excited and a little nervous. Pre-trail jitters I guess.

Cookerhiker
03-18-2013, 07:16
Kincora is open all the time per The Companion and The Place in Damascus is open.

That should be a great hike - early Spring is one of my favorite times and you'll likely be ahead of most thruhikers so at least you'll get shelter space for those rainy nights you'll inevitably have.

58starter
03-18-2013, 09:45
I am starting my section hike from Elk Park on March 31. I will be going to Damascus this trip.
Maybe we will run into each other.

FarmerChef
03-18-2013, 10:59
I will be hiking sobo in that section around that time. Maybe I'll run into both of you guys. Trailnames? Mine is my avatar: FarmerChef.

Runsalone
03-18-2013, 19:55
I am really looking forward to it. Especially the quiet rainy (gently of course lol) nights of real sleep for a change. Ill probably swing through kincora it seems like a "must stop" place.

Im Brad. No trailname. Nice to know there will be a few folks out and about. Hope you guys have a safe and amazing trip!!