PDA

View Full Version : One more noob question...

TSWisla
03-06-2013, 22:24
When you go to bed at night, where do you put your bag? What about your shoes? Do you wrap them in something and leave them outside? Is there even enough room in the tent for them (I have a double rainbow and will be camping with a friend)?

johnnybgood
03-06-2013, 22:34
Leave them in the tent's vestibule which is the enclosed space outside once the fly is closed.

CarlZ993
03-06-2013, 22:45
If the shoes/boots are wet and it might get below freezing, be sure to loosen up your shoe laces. They freeze overnight. At least you'll be able to slip your feet in them in the a.m.

You might have a spare lightweight stuff sack that you could throw your shoes/boots in and place in your sleeping bag at night. Might not be real comfortable to sleep with them like that but at least you can tie your laces in the morning.

Mountain Mike
03-06-2013, 22:47
If it's close to freezing stuff them in a bag & In your sleeping bag. If not enough room at least open them up as wide as possible in case the freeze so you can still get your feet in to thaw them out.

Mountain Mike
03-06-2013, 22:48
You can also use your tent and/or your sleeping bag stuff sacks turned inside out.

Malto
03-06-2013, 22:49
If its cold and shoes are wet then put wet socks in shoes in pack liner. Put it under my feet. All of these things will keep your shoes from freezing overnight. Loosen the lace help you get them on. Otherwise they usually are next to my bivy.

TSWisla
03-06-2013, 23:10
Thank you, if I leave the bags in the vestibule, won't critters and bugs get at them? I have read stories about mice chewing up bags. What do you think?

hikerboy57
03-06-2013, 23:14
Thank you, if I leave the bags in the vestibule, won't critters and bugs get at them? I have read stories about mice chewing up bags. What do you think?
not your food. your food you either hang properly well away from your tent, or you sleep with it.try to keep your pack clean of crumbs, check pockets, and leave all the pockets wide open, should a mouse happen to get in he wont chew through your pack

TSWisla
03-06-2013, 23:16
I plan on using a bear canister for food, but if I leave my pack out with no food in it, it should be ok under the vestibule?

hikerboy57
03-06-2013, 23:19
I plan on using a bear canister for food, but if I leave my pack out with no food in it, it should be ok under the vestibule?
yup........

johnnybgood
03-06-2013, 23:31
Camp far enough from the shelter and properly hang your food

MuddyWaters
03-06-2013, 23:57
Shoes go under my head, to incline my pad a bit. Wet or dry.
Wet socks go under pad if its cold. if not, they might go in my kangaroo pocket on hoody and be dry by morning.
In tent, pack often goes under legs. Sometimes it gets hung on a branch outside, or on a nail, or string in a shelter, or on a bear cable if have them. All depends.
Food bag might be hung, might be next to me. All depends.
The good thing about having minimal gear, is you dont have a lot to keep track of when its not in your pack.

johnnybgood
03-07-2013, 00:12
Food bag might be hung, might be next to me. All depends.
The good thing about having minimal gear, is you dont have a lot to keep track of when its not in your pack.

I resemble that last remark. I too sometimes sleep with the pack under my knees to elevate them and put less strain on the lower back .

Lone Wolf
03-07-2013, 05:28
When you go to bed at night, where do you put your bag? What about your shoes? Do you wrap them in something and leave them outside? Is there even enough room in the tent for them (I have a double rainbow and will be camping with a friend)?

everything i own stays in my tent with me

PapaGarrettP
03-07-2013, 09:57
Pack in vestibule, straps down, with pack cover over it. Boots on top of pack.
In my Hubba I have my clothing and jacket and above my head I put a very light net bag in which I store my spork, pocket knife, lighter, wallet & phone (in baggie), chapstick, Tums, Ibuproffin, bit of toilet paper, copied pages of AT guide, glasses and headlamp.

TSWisla
03-12-2013, 09:47
I ended up NOT purchasing a pack cover, I figure that between a garbage bag and poncho, I would be OK in the rain. I plan on covering my pack with a large garbage bag at night and ziplock my shoes and put them in the tent at night. Food and any soap/sunscreen, etc in bear canister. Am I good to go?

88BlueGT
03-12-2013, 10:13
Personally, this is how I do it...

Food - gets hung in tree
Shoes - inside tent (left at the bottom)
Bag - pack cover goes on and gets hung on a close tree w/ a small 6" bungee cord.

Rasty
03-12-2013, 10:30
My pack is my pillow at night. Food stays with me inside the tent. Shoes in the vestibule.

88BlueGT
03-12-2013, 10:36
I don't know how people sleep with food in their tents and don't run into problems. ONE TIME, I decided to leave my food with me. I was by myself, relaxing by a small fire (about 9:30pm) and I LITERALLY had 5 raccoons stalk my tent for over an hour! I would scare them off and 10 minutes later I would hear them, turn around and they're 15ft from my tent... staring me down.

Prime Time
03-12-2013, 10:53
I sleep on my back and my pack goes under my knees. This also allows me to use a short Thermarest Ridgeline pad, plus a small remnant of a pad that goes under my feet and serves as a camp "chair". Shoes go in a the pack on a cold night, along with a water bottle.

Prime Time
03-12-2013, 10:59
I don't know how people sleep with food in their tents and don't run into problems. ONE TIME, I decided to leave my food with me. I was by myself, relaxing by a small fire (about 9:30pm) and I LITERALLY had 5 raccoons stalk my tent for over an hour! I would scare them off and 10 minutes later I would hear them, turn around and they're 15ft from my tent... staring me down.
88BlueGT, There are 2 kinds of people who frequent this site. Those who have had an experience like yours and would never again keep their food in their tent, and those who have luckily not had that experience and therefore don't believe it is a real problem. I'm in your camp. I fought off raccoons one night also, then had mice eat thru my pack another time. No more food in my tent!