PDA

View Full Version : Elemental horizons

archie
03-06-2013, 22:51
Well, I did it. I ordered myself a Kalais yesterday. It was a tough decision because I could only find four people who actually had one. But, all four loved it. I sure hope they werent all four employees or family of the compnay!

It is upposed to arrive in 3-4 weeks Ill let you know what I think when I get it!

Arch

rongallant
03-06-2013, 23:15
I love mine. Everything is right where it should be. Wears ultralight and packed for a week. Great pack design.

Odd Man Out
03-06-2013, 23:19
I plan on getting one too. We can start a club.

BIG TIGER
03-07-2013, 07:02
Well, I already have one. Great pack. It Is the XL Tall/Camo.
Ron

Hiking Man
03-07-2013, 11:25
I got mine last Tuesday! I love the pack, so far! Very well put together! I took it out for a 6 mile day hike (just to see how I like it) loaded down with about 25 pounds and it road great! I had a ULA circuit great, great pack, but it just did not fit me like I want a pack to fit. The Kalais fits me, so much better. I think it has a lot to do with the shape of the "v" stay to my back curve. I think you made a great decision to go with the Kalais.

archie
03-07-2013, 17:02
Its great to hear all the positive feedback. I havent been this excited for a new piece of gear since.... well to be honest I am always like this when something is in the mail! But I am VERY excited for this pack. I sure do hope I am not disappointed. I shall let yall know when it arrives.

blue indian
03-22-2013, 14:05
I'm currently debating between the kalais and aquilo myself.

Anyone experiences with the aquilo? I am afraid it might be too much bag. But feel the kalais might not be enough. Either way I think I will be happy. Any feed back would be great!

BIG TIGER
03-22-2013, 14:25
Large aquilo for sale over on BPL.
Ron

Hiking Man
03-22-2013, 20:12
I'm currently debating between the kalais and aquilo myself.

Anyone experiences with the aquilo? I am afraid it might be too much bag. But feel the kalais might not be enough. Either way I think I will be happy. Any feed back would be great!

I had the same dilemma when getting my Kalais. I was surprised at the size of the Kalais when i got it. Much larger then i was thinking. The Aquilo would have been way to large for me. If you have single wall tent, small down bag the Kalais should be fine for 4-5 day trips without resupply.

blue indian
03-22-2013, 23:33
Right now I am using warbonnet hammock, tarp, and underquilt. Golite 3 season top quilt. If I take my tent I am usually sharing with a hiking partner so the weigh and bulk isn't bad there either.

Thanks for the input on the kalais. You are making me feel more confident in my decision to get the kalais. In the pictures the aquilo looks so big but the specs suggest otherwise.

How are you liking the kalais?

Hiking Man
03-23-2013, 13:51
Right now I am using warbonnet hammock, tarp, and underquilt. Golite 3 season top quilt. If I take my tent I am usually sharing with a hiking partner so the weigh and bulk isn't bad there either.

Thanks for the input on the kalais. You are making me feel more confident in my decision to get the kalais. In the pictures the aquilo looks so big but the specs suggest otherwise.

How are you liking the kalais?

I have not seen the Aquilo other then pictures and it does look very big! With the gear you have i think you will be fine. It's all in how you pack it, too. I packed and repacked mine many different ways before i found the best way to free up as much room as possible. I have been out on two over night trips on the weekend. Hiking around 17 miles with it so, far and i love it. Fits great and transfers the weight to the hips great. I use the V stay with mine. The stay is shaped perfect for the contour of my back. I can't wait to get it out on longer tips this spring. It fits me much better then my ULA circuit does.

blue indian
03-23-2013, 15:50
How are you packing it? With my current pack (granite gear blaze ac 60) I just stuff my quilts in the bottom without shoving them in stuff sacks. I like this method as it fills the bottom of the pack nicely, builds a nice base to loft the rest of my gear as close to center of my back as possible, and doesn't crush the down. I suppose I could start using the stuff sacks if I need to. After all, isn't that the point of having down items?

I had the same problem with my circuit. Just wast that comfortable in it. Returned it. Elemental horizons looks like the perfect combo between gossamer gear and ula.

What all do you out in the outside pockets of the kalais?

archie
03-23-2013, 16:29
Have you seen any durability issues? I know you havent put it through the paces yet, but I am wondering if you feel it will be reasonably durable. EH uses a lot of 70d whereas other brands of similar packs use more "advanced" materials. I did order mine with dyneema side pockets, hopefully the body will be fine.

It should arrive in a week or two I cant wait to see it!

blue indian
03-23-2013, 17:31
Have you seen any durability issues? I know you havent put it through the paces yet, but I am wondering if you feel it will be reasonably durable. EH uses a lot of 70d whereas other brands of similar packs use more "advanced" materials. I did order mine with dyneema side pockets, hopefully the body will be fine.

It should arrive in a week or two I cant wait to see it!

I have been wondering the same thing about the durability. Although doing an all dyneema pack is a possibility.

I was thinking about doing this same with the side pockets. Would be interested in how it looks and performs. Possible pic when you get the pack?

archie
03-23-2013, 18:30
I will post a picture when I get it!

blue indian
03-23-2013, 20:48
Sweet. Thanks

Hiking Man
03-23-2013, 21:02
Durability is something i question every time i buy new gear. I have not put the pack through the ropes yet, but it seams that it would hold well for a lightweight pack. I would not abuse it as much as a none light weight pack, but that goes for most all LW gear. I can't wait to see what shape mine is in this time next year.

blue indian
03-24-2013, 19:31
I will post a picture when I get it!

Here are a couple of picture requests, if possible...haha
1. a picture of the pack fully loaded
2. a picture of the pack on. its hard to get an idea of the size of the pack when there is nothing to compare it to, especially since most of the pictures of seen are of the pack by itself. ideally I would like to see a picture of the aquilo and kalais next to each other but I havent found it if it exists.
3. a picture of the insides of the pack.

I sure would appreciate it! thanks archie!

archie
03-24-2013, 23:57
That should not be a problem, except the one with the Kalais and the Aquillo wont be possible!

SCRUB HIKER
03-25-2013, 22:11
In response to some of the questions above:

Here's the Kalais kind-of fully loaded with the stay in. It doesn't have a sleeping pad in or on it, and I didn't fill it all the way to the top with bulk. But this is has 20 or so pounds of junk in it.

This is a close-up of the top of the pack. It might be hard to tell from the picture, but I'm trying to show how the thick 240d fabric (the black stuff) rides on the top of the aluminum stay, instead of the weaker 70d fabric (the red stuff). The 70d fabric is for the big fleshy exterior of the pack and doesn't cover any of the high-abrasion areas.

Different angle of the pack, now with a Z-lite lashed on.

Some random guy with the pack on in his funny civilized clothes and haircut. This guy is 5'10" and 180lb for scale.

SCRUB HIKER
03-25-2013, 22:15
Some other stuff: the side pockets will hold two of those 32oz Vitamin Water bottles snugly. I have the medium-torso pack. Yes, that's the AT wall map in the back. And if you want pictures of the inside of the pack, I didn't take any, but SGT Rock has some decent ones on his review: http://hikinghq.net/gear/elemental-horizons-kalais.html

grateful 2
03-25-2013, 22:29
In response to some of the questions above:

Here's the Kalais kind-of fully loaded with the stay in. It doesn't have a sleeping pad in or on it, and I didn't fill it all the way to the top with bulk. But this is has 20 or so pounds of junk in it.

This is a close-up of the top of the pack. It might be hard to tell from the picture, but I'm trying to show how the thick 240d fabric (the black stuff) rides on the top of the aluminum stay, instead of the weaker 70d fabric (the red stuff). The 70d fabric is for the big fleshy exterior of the pack and doesn't cover any of the high-abrasion areas.

Different angle of the pack, now with a Z-lite lashed on.

Some random guy with the pack on in his funny civilized clothes and haircut. This guy is 5'10" and 180lb for scale.

Can I borrow your "scale"? Mine says 220.

grateful 2
03-25-2013, 22:31
I ordered one yesterday in 100% 240d. Can I join the club?

I plan on getting one too. We can start a club.

BIG TIGER
03-26-2013, 05:50
Here some pictures of mine XLframe XL waist. Wt 2.8 lbs.I love It. My other pack Is a McHale 12 yrs old,207072070820709

Loneoak
03-26-2013, 11:08
Bout one at the ATKO this year. Hiking the next few days. I hope I like it as well after 4 days but I loved it at the ATKO with 27 lbs.

blue indian
03-26-2013, 12:24
Thanks for all the pictures folks! Its nice to see the pack with some perspective. I really appreciate it!

I am now having my doubts about the kalais. No doubts on its construction or design, but if its right for me or not. I guess the perfect pack isnt out there. Well, excluding a Mchale...haha

blue indian
03-26-2013, 12:25

I am thinking about going this route as well. Did you get the pockets in dyneema as well? I wonder if Matthew could do green dyneema?

blue indian
03-26-2013, 12:26
Maybe I'm just too dang picky.

Odd Man Out
03-26-2013, 13:33

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER" - Groucho Marx

RJ Lewis
03-26-2013, 22:47
I have a purple Kalais I had some custom work done to- thank you very much to Matthew, who was very helpful with the issues I needed to deal with. I absolutely love my pack and it goes with me on whatever trip I go on, whether it's hiking or on an airline trip. I get alot of questions about it, and hopefully, that will direct more to the website so they can see for themselves what wonderful packs they are.

I do have 3 packs that really fit me well, so I'm happy. You will be pleased with just how roomy the Kalais really is and how lightweight it is. Check it out!

archie
03-26-2013, 23:01
RJ Where in ND are you? I ive in Moorhead. The positive feedback from everyone is encouraging. I am counting the days until my Kalais arrives!

blue indian
03-26-2013, 23:10
I have a purple Kalais I had some custom work done to- thank you very much to Matthew, who was very helpful with the issues I needed to deal with. I absolutely love my pack and it goes with me on whatever trip I go on, whether it's hiking or on an airline trip. I get alot of questions about it, and hopefully, that will direct more to the website so they can see for themselves what wonderful packs they are.

I do have 3 packs that really fit me well, so I'm happy. You will be pleased with just how roomy the Kalais really is and how lightweight it is. Check it out!

What kind of custom work did you get done?

blue indian
03-28-2013, 23:55
Big Tiger, what size hip belt pocket do you have on there?

BIG TIGER
03-29-2013, 06:11
Is this Free Home? I have an XL. I was the first to have the XL belt and XL torso. I could probably go with L belt. I hardly use my McHale any more. My pack weighs 2.8 lbs. I'm finished buying packs for now and I have purchased alot of packs over the yrs. I would see what 6 Moon will be coming out with since the guy that started ULA Is over with 6 Moon now. BigTiger AKA BigRED77

Crusinsusan
03-29-2013, 16:57
Got my Kalais today! woohoo....I'm in the club! It's HUGE! It's my first ever pack too. I upgraded to 210d Dyneema X all over, bc I suspect I'll beat it up, what with being a noob and all. Got the stay too (thanks Mathew!!), and 2 small hip pockets.

I can't test it yet bc I'm sealing my tent and so I won't fold it for 24hrs.

But it looks like it will fit everything.

Crusinsusan
03-29-2013, 16:59
Oh yeah, it weighs 2lbs, 2oz.

capehiker
03-29-2013, 17:31
Did you get the stock color and if so, what color is it? The images on the site show it in red but didn't see anything denoting the standard stock color.

archie
03-29-2013, 17:44
capehiker,

The stock color is red. I assume Crusinsusans is black as that is the dyneema EH uses.

Crusinsusan, what date did you order it? Im dyin here waiting for mine. Grats on the new pack, hope you love it!

capehiker
03-29-2013, 17:53
Thank Archie. The red is sharp looking.

BIG TIGER
03-29-2013, 17:57
I love mine. He makes a great pack. We need pictures. Ron

Crusinsusan
03-29-2013, 18:09
capehiker,

The stock color is red. I assume Crusinsusans is black as that is the dyneema EH uses.

Crusinsusan, what date did you order it? Im dyin here waiting for mine. Grats on the new pack, hope you love it!

Yep, it's a black background with white grids. I asked Matt if he had pink (Hey! It's MY pack!), and he said he might be able to order it, but I didn't want to wait.

Ordered it Feb 28, actually arrived yesterday....but no one told me until today!! grrr.

Odd Man Out
03-29-2013, 23:57
Got my Kalais today! woohoo....I'm in the club! It's HUGE! It's my first ever pack too. I upgraded to 210d Dyneema X all over, bc I suspect I'll beat it up, what with being a noob and all. Got the stay too (thanks Mathew!!), and 2 small hip pockets.

I can't test it yet bc I'm sealing my tent and so I won't fold it for 24hrs.

But it looks like it will fit everything.

They posted an all Dyneema pack on their FB page recently. Yours??

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=529523507091346&set=a.255608244482875.61118.255450451165321&type=1&theater

Crusinsusan
03-30-2013, 00:24
They posted an all Dyneema pack on their FB page recently. Yours??

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=529523507091346&set=a.255608244482875.61118.255450451165321&type=1&theater

HEY!! Yes!! That's mine! The same pic (chair and all) that Matt sent me when he finished it.

Erm...but I still won't join facebook. lol

Crusinsusan
03-30-2013, 00:26
LOL.....caption says mine was the first all dyneema Kalais. I'm famous!

Now I'm going to strut all around all proud. :cool:

blue indian
03-31-2013, 11:31
Scrub HIker, what size pockets do you have on the hipbelt?

Odd Man Out
03-31-2013, 14:54
LOL.....caption says mine was the first all dyneema Kalais. I'm famous!

Now I'm going to strut all around all proud. :cool:

You can be president of the club.

SGT Rock
03-31-2013, 16:42
My Elemental Horizons Kalais is still holding strong. No sign of any wear that I can see after about 400 miles.

jeffmeh
03-31-2013, 17:41
My Elemental Horizons Kalais is still holding strong. No sign of any wear that I can see after about 400 miles.

Now that is the review I wanted to see, with less bias from shiny newness. ;)

Odd Man Out
03-31-2013, 17:43

Good to know. Your excellent video made me want one. THANKS!

SGT Rock
03-31-2013, 17:49
Glad I could help.

archie
03-31-2013, 19:45
Just got the email that mine ships in the morning!

SCRUB HIKER
03-31-2013, 21:46
Scrub HIker, what size pockets do you have on the hipbelt?

Those are the large hip-belt pockets in my pictures.

blue indian
03-31-2013, 21:53
[QUOTE=SCRUB HIKER;1452801]Those are the large hip-belt pockets in my pictures.[/Q

Good to know, thanks!

blue indian
03-31-2013, 21:56

The ACU fabric on your pack is the 70d correct? Are you happy that specific material? Do you think the 210 dyneema x for the pack body would be overkill?

I would use this pack as my main go-to pack for weekenders, section hikes, and my thru attempt next year.

blue indian
03-31-2013, 22:26
Is this Free Home? I have an XL. I was the first to have the XL belt and XL torso. I could probably go with L belt. I hardly use my McHale any more. My pack weighs 2.8 lbs. I'm finished buying packs for now and I have purchased alot of packs over the yrs. I would see what 6 Moon will be coming out with since the guy that started ULA Is over with 6 Moon now. BigTiger AKA BigRED77

No, Im not Free Home. Not sure who that is.

When is 6 Moon coming out with new stuff? Its going to be interesting to see what they will come up with.

I was curious to what size hipbelt pockets you have on your kalais?

SGT Rock
03-31-2013, 22:43
The ACU fabric on your pack is the 70d correct? Are you happy that specific material? Do you think the 210 dyneema x for the pack body would be overkill?I think it would be, but maybe your harder on your gear than I am.

I would use this pack as my main go-to pack for weekenders, section hikes, and my thru attempt next year.I think it will last you many many miles. My hip belt pockets are large.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

BIG TIGER
04-01-2013, 06:01
Sorry about that blue. I think you would will really like the Kalias. I think the pockets have a nice size. The zipper works really well.

Ron

blue indian
04-02-2013, 00:07
Just got the email that mine ships in the morning!

Definitely curious as to how it looks with dyneema pockets. Lets see some pictures when you get it!

blue indian
04-02-2013, 00:10
Anyone know why there is no spacer mesh and padding on the lumbar (lower back) area? Seems odd to leave that area sorta blank and unfinished looking.

archie
04-02-2013, 16:20
20906Here is the picture Matthew sent. It should arrive Thursday, according to the usps.

blue indian
04-02-2013, 23:15
20906Here is the picture Matthew sent. It should arrive Thursday, according to the usps.

Thats pretty awesome! I still see some mesh on that front pocket. Was that something you decided or just how it came?

archie
04-02-2013, 23:45
The front pocket is the standard front pocket. I wanted the mesh on the front. There is a litttle mesh on the side pockets for drainage. The side pockets are actually the same as the Arduro pockets.

SCRUB HIKER
04-02-2013, 23:47
I was thinking that I'd like to have a shoulder-strap pouch on my backpack and was looking around at some of the options, like Zpacks and Zimmerbuilt, but then I remembered that the Kalais hipbelt pockets are removable and are advertised as attachable to almost any strap on the backpack. I fiddled around with one for a while and figured out a very secure way to remove it from the hip-belt and fix it to the shoulder strap. No sliding around whatsoever--the only drawback I think would be that, because these are the size large pockets, it's kind of big and awkward-looking on the shoulder, and the zipper is vertical. But it's where I want to store my camera and other delicates now (so that they don't get banged around when I set the pack down), and there's plenty of room for that. It's hard to explain and the pictures below may not be the clearest illustration, but suffice it to say that if I could figure out how to move these pockets around, pretty much anyone could.

archie
04-02-2013, 23:50
Nice pics scrub, thanks. I had been wondering what to get as I use a shoulder strap for my camera as well. I was going to wait and see how those hip belt pockets would work on the shoulder straps.

Hiking Man
04-03-2013, 07:41
Cool idea scrubs. Thanks for posting.

archie
04-05-2013, 15:19
WooHoo Its here! It got here yesterday. It looks very nice. I love the design it seems very well thought out. The weight is 33.5 oz right on what it is supposed to be with the extras I had added. The craftsmanship appears to be wonderful.

Of course, I havent hiked with it yet-- Unless you count walking around the house and shovelling snow off the driveway with a fully loaded pack hiking!

SGT Rock
04-05-2013, 16:08
Sounds like fun. Not.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Crusinsusan
04-05-2013, 19:40
Cool idea Scrub...thanks.

blue indian
04-09-2013, 21:55
placed my order with Matthew today. Sweet!

Crusinsusan
05-17-2013, 17:01
FYI, I just did a small write up about the Kalais pack on my blog (http://crusinsusan.blogspot.com/), with pics of the first ever full 210d pack. lol.

Ya, I'm a noob, and the more experienced here won't be interested in what I said about it now (I will have more to say about it as I take it for tests this summer), but there's some pics for those who might be interested.

AndrewAZ
05-17-2013, 23:13
FYI, I just did a small write up about the Kalais pack on my blog (http://crusinsusan.blogspot.com/), with pics of the first ever full 210d pack. lol.

Ya, I'm a noob, and the more experienced here won't be interested in what I said about it now (I will have more to say about it as I take it for tests this summer), but there's some pics for those who might be interested.

Thank you for the pictures and info. I was pondering an all-Dynema Kalais, so this is perfect.

Crusinsusan
05-18-2013, 17:06
Thank you for the pictures and info. I was pondering an all-Dynema Kalais, so this is perfect.

Woo-hoo! Glad I could finally give back here. :)

FamilyGuy
05-21-2013, 01:00
Great looking pack! But let's be clear. That is 210 d dyneema gridstop and not full dyneema. Not only would that fabric be almost bombproof, but the pack would be 3 to 4 times the cost.

jeffmeh
05-21-2013, 11:12
Does anyone have experience with both the Kalais and a ULA pack, e.g. the Circuit? I would love some insights into comparisons here. Thanks.

SGT Rock
05-21-2013, 16:19
I own both. I'll write something when I get to a real keyboard.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

jeffmeh
05-21-2013, 18:03
I own both. I'll write something when I get to a real keyboard.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Outstanding! I look forward to it. Perhaps it's even deserving of its own thread. :)

SGT Rock
05-22-2013, 08:55
Comparison of the Elemental Horizons Kalais to the ULA Circuit

I’ll start off by listing my particulars so you have some comparison of body size. I’m 5’8” 180 lbs, my waist is 34” and my torso length is 19” measured per these instructions: http://www.elementalhorizons.com/packsizing.aspx

Background of experience with both packs
I bought the ULA in 2009 and used it for about 3 years over about 800 miles +/- until I got my Kalais in 2012. I hiked about 400 miles with my Kalais last year +/-. I’ve not had a chance to take it out much this year yet (unfortunately).

The basic stats and price:

The ULA Circuit has a total volume of about 4,200ci, weighs ~39 ounces depending on options, and has a base cost of $225. The Kalais has a total volume of about 2,920ci, weighs about 26 ounces (depending on options, and costs about $230. The Kalais does not come with hip pockets attached, so to get an equal rating there, you would have to add two of the EH large hip pockets which would add 2.8 ounces in weight, 96ci in volume, and $36 in price. So the overall the Kalais is going to be a little more expensive, weigh more than half a pound less, and have about 1,200ci less volume. In my experience with the packs, the volume is pretty much slightly smaller in all areas of the pack, but especially in the outside pockets. If you use the exterior pockets for a lot of your storage, then this may be an issue for you. I did have to change how I pack things in outside storage when I switched, but it wasn’t a show stopper. On my Circuit I always had lots of interior space left over, even when hiking heavy winter loads for 5+ days, so getting into a smaller pack was not hard for me. You will have to evaluate that for yourself. My preference is with the Kalais because I must stay disciplined to keep fitting in the pack. I’ve been able to load it up with all my winter gear and 5+ days food and I am at the max capacity of the pack.

Also, sort of in this area, the Kalais has the EH exterior pocket system, so if you wanted to add volume to the pack, there are points on the outside of the pack for a couple of extra side pockets which will add to the volume, weight, and price. It is a cool system and I even made some outside pockets to work with my pack, but that said, I found them more than I needed and stopped using them.

Load carrying. Without a stay, I found that they both carried about the same. I thought the CF hoop of the ULA would provide more support/stability than it did, but it never seemed to work out that way. The EH internal pad pocket did add more stiffness to the pack than I expected based on experience with other packs that try to make a pad work as a frame sheet. I did add a stay to both systems and found a huge difference in feel. The Circuit used a single stay system, which added weight to the pack and didn’t seem to help the carry much. I had borrowed the stay so I don’t have it to quote weight now, and when In looked at ULA’s website I couldn’t find mention of the stay so maybe they don’t have that option anymore? On the Kalais, the “stay” is more like a frame of tube aluminum that adds right about 3.99 ounces and costs $20. The Kalais was a load hauler with the added stay, and if I were going to do a trail where I would have to occasionally carry large loads (like crossing the Mojave with 7 liters of water) I would take the extra 4 ounces of stay – it is absolutely worth ever ounce. At one point I carried over 40 lbs with my Kalais and a frame and it did it very well despite a max recommended load of 35 lbs with the stay. The only issue I ran into when hauling that much weight was some slip on the straps, but it wasn’t too bad and I could adjust them as I walked.

With the carry I’ll mention the profile of the two packs. The Kalais is more narrow across the width of the pack than the Circuit, so there is less sticking out to the sides of your torso. That may or may not be important to you. The Kalais does have a slightly larger overhang to the rear, but not by much.

The hip belts of both packs use an “X” system on the center buckle. This helps get a more comfortable and efficient compression around your hip bones. The top on mine is always slightly tighter than the bottom, and this seems to work well. The Kalais does seem to hold that better, and I suspect that has more to do with how the hip belt attaches to the pack than it does with anything else. The pockets of the Circuit are sewn to the belt which is a better system IMO, but it may not be for you. The Kalais has a very sturdy and stable system to attach pockets to the hip belt so you can change pockets, or have a pocket on one side and a water bottle holster on the other, or a fishing pouch, or whatever you can dream up and make on your own. But for me, I always want two pockets, and it would be lighter to have just sewn pockets to the hip belt. Hip belt is a mix, for me the Kalais fits better, but I like the pockets of the Circuit better.

The rest of the straps are your standard padded shoulder straps with sternum strap. The Kalais were more anatomically curved for correct fit, the S curves were very well done. The Circuit straps are curved and work, I just liked the Kalais better. I’ll add that the newer Circuits have some sort of bungee system on the straps which I absolutely hate, and would be one of the things I cut off when I got the pack home if I were to get a new one.

As to durability, they both seem about the same. That said, every Kalais is going to be made pretty much when you order it if you go through Matt. If you want to go bomb proof, he can do that. He can also do pink, green, purple blue, cammo etc. I notice that the Circuit is available in some other materials as well now.

I hope that helps. For me, the Kalais is the pack I choose. It may not be for everyone.

jeffmeh
05-22-2013, 12:34
Nicely done, SGT Rock. Thanks.

MuddyWaters
05-22-2013, 17:33
Did you do any volume check on the kalais? I know when BPL reviewed the Aquilo it was reported to be huge, much larger than expected.

ULA still uses the aluminum stay, and has it listed about at 2oz. My circuit medium with small belt weighs 34oz with water bottle holsters,hand loops, rear elastic cord, internal pocket, and hydration pouch all removed. (all useless stuff IMO)

By your #s, the Kalais would come in at about 33oz with hip pockets and stay for a closer comparison. So they are really MUCH closer, not a half pound difference, that is somewhat misleading.

I think they both are good due to the hipbelt design, which I expect to see others begin to duplicate in their packs designed for ~30 lb loads. At the time I started using a circuit several yrs ago, the hipbelt was specifically what made the difference in pack selection for me, it simply had the capability to carry 40lbs, where other lightwt packs failed at 25.

SGT Rock
05-22-2013, 19:04
Did you do any volume check on the kalais? I know when BPL reviewed the Aquilo it was reported to be huge, much larger than expected. No I didn't do any specific volume test other than load them both up with the same gear and note that the Circuit has more room. I can't attest to the volume claims of either.

ULA still uses the aluminum stay, and has it listed about at 2oz. My circuit medium with small belt weighs 34oz with water bottle holsters,hand loops, rear elastic cord, internal pocket, and hydration pouch all removed. (all useless stuff IMO)

By your #s, the Kalais would come in at about 33oz with hip pockets and stay for a closer comparison. So they are really MUCH closer, not a half pound difference, that is somewhat misleading.I don't feel it is misleading to list the manufacturers claims of weight for both packs. If I started cutting parts of a pack, those would be my choices of what to do with that pack. But if someone bought a Circuit with stay, that would be 39 ounces. If someone bought a Kalais, then they would have to add on things to get a heavier weight. Those are both their choices of what to do. But base weights for both packs are over a half pound different based on manufacturers claims. But it is a good thing to point out that the weight can be trimmed down in very specific ways and I agree with all your choices.

I'll also say that as stay systems go, the EH system is much better at carrying weight IMO. It is very similar to the Gossamer Gear stay system. If I were going to get a Circuit again, I would probably try and figure a way to change the stay to a similar design. I recently sewed a backpack and made a carbon fiber copy of the EH aluminum stay that comes in at about 1.64 ounces for my DIY winter pack.

I think they both are good due to the hipbelt design, which I expect to see others begin to duplicate in their packs designed for ~30 lb loads. At the time I started using a circuit several yrs ago, the hipbelt was specifically what made the difference in pack selection for me, it simply had the capability to carry 40lbs, where other lightwt packs failed at 25.I agree, the hip belt sold me on the Circuit when I bought it. When I got my Kalais, I was looking for a slightly smaller version of the Circuit since I felt that extra space was wasted weight. While reading reviews at BPL magazine I wanted to see how well my favorite (at the time) pack did against other packs in that category. I've found BPL reviews to be some of the most thorough and most objective, out there. Anyhow, I was astonished to find them listed as "average". I had to see what packs were getting their best ratings, and in that category Sixmoons had a pack, and Elemental Horizons had the Aquillo. I've got a Sixmoons pack, so that didn't surprise me. But I'd never heard of EH, and figured I would never get a chance to try one of those packs. Fast forward a few months and I accidentally meet the guy that makes the EH packs with the latest pack he is coming out. He has a Kalais there and I fell in love with it. It was exactly what I had been looking for. Well, OK, I always look for something lighter.

If anyone hasn't read my in-depth report on the Kalais it is here: http://hikinghq.net/gear/elemental-horizons-kalais.html