PDA

View Full Version : Yeah... it's ANOTHER gear list...

joshgray
03-07-2013, 01:57
Eh, thought I might as well throw mine in the ring for review. Starting NOBO on the 23rd-ish with my gf.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12089

Zero-weights are the things I haven't bought yet.
SPLIT items are group items, I've already divided the weight.
Probably returning the fleece jacket tomorrow for a 100 weight and a down vest.
Leaving out bug stuff until it's warmer.

Specifically looking for:
1. Pack cover that isn't $30-45 (i.e. Osprey, UltraSil, etc)
2. Cheap shorts - I'll hit up Goodwill tomorrow, but am not sure what to look for. Nylon? Polyester? Pockets? Lining? Women's?
3. Cheap rain pants (for the wind in cold weather) - also looking for at Goodwill. Are some ACTUALLY better than others?

Thanks!

Stir Fry
03-07-2013, 09:49
Looks like a good list to start with. You have a few things duplicated. I am a ferm beliver that the AT is the best teacher. You will figuer out what you don't need by the time you get to Neel gap. Good luck and have fun.

joshgray
03-07-2013, 10:14
Duplicated? Are you talking about the drying towel/sponge/bandana I have listed? Yeah, I figured combined all three would weigh ~maybe~ 2oz, by Neel Gap I'm sure I'll toss at least one of them. Is there anything else duplicated I'm not seeing?

Cheers!

mountain squid
03-07-2013, 12:01
Doesn't look too bad. Some observations:

extra pr of socks - enough to always have one dry pr for camp
sleepwear might be unnecessary with long underwear
mechanical pencil
do hikers really still cut toothbrush in half?
hand sanitizer
sunscreen - no leaves on trees
ear plugs

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

joshgray
03-07-2013, 13:27
I've always used a half brush, might as well keep on keeping on.
Sanitizer! Totally slipped my mind, thanks.
The sleep gear is so I don't have to sleep in what I hiked in *shrug* I might ship it back, thanks for that catch.
Can't decide between sunscreen, which I hate but will use if I have to, or a hat. Thoughts?

Meriadoc
03-07-2013, 15:48
I've always used a half brush, might as well keep on keeping on.
Sanitizer! Totally slipped my mind, thanks.
The sleep gear is so I don't have to sleep in what I hiked in *shrug* I might ship it back, thanks for that catch.
Can't decide between sunscreen, which I hate but will use if I have to, or a hat. Thoughts?

If you hate it, you won't use it. If you can keep a hat, I'd take one. (Hats refuse to stay in my vicinity for long.)

I would get rid of the trowel. Use your trekking pole or heel to dig a hole.
I would bring ibuprofen even if you don't use it regularly, it helps to bring inflammation down when you really need to hike on an injured tendon.
Might also want to bring a single needle - good for draining blisters and for repairing gear (with floss as thread).

1. Sil-nylon pack cover for $30 (ULA has one, I know there are others)
2. Just make sure they don't hold moisture - the thicker they are, the more moisture they will hold. Friend of mine used a $12 pair of soccer shorts for half her hike.
3. A rain skirt works nicely until you get into winter conditions. Lightheart gear and ULA both make lightweight ones.

mountain squid
03-07-2013, 17:31
Can't decide between sunscreen, which I hate but will use if I have to, or a hat. Thoughts?Well, for myself, I'm not sure how many times I would wear my long johns while hiking . . . . if it is really, really cold maybe . . . like in the 20s probably . . . . you might need to wear your long johns more often.

I would have a hat and sunscreen. Eventually you'll have a warm enough day to only hike in t-shirt and shorts. And, of course, you'll be in the sun all day long . . .

The toothbrush cutting isn't a big deal . . . it just seems a rather extreme way to save a an ounce ?!? I use a travel toothbrush.

I disagree with the notion that you can dig a proper cat-hole (http://lnt.org/learn/principle-3) with your trekking pole or your heel (and I'm not saying it can't be done or that it hasn't been done). A proper one is hard enough to dig with the trowel . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

joshgray
03-07-2013, 19:50
Thanks for the tips, guys! I have a favorite hat, we'll see how well it works - I assume I can pick up some sunscreen in town if I change my mind (or if my face changes it for me) :-)

I'll throw some ibuprofen in the first aid kit, thanks. I keep a needle in there for blisters and sewing already ;-)

At Goodwill today, found some polyester rainpants that'll work after some fitting mods. Also managed to find both ultralight nylon running shorts AND good ole nylon cargo hiking shorts, so I'll give 'em both a go this weekend on a trek and see which one I prefer. Woo thrift!

Yeah, I'll keep the trowel... The Eagle in me won't let me dig an improper cat-hole unless it's impossible...

I'll take a look at the ULA pack covers, see if it's worth it over the Osprey brand one I can get here in town for $30. It all seems awful pricey for a nylon shell :-/