PDA

View Full Version : What jacket on E2E in August?

Matthewrozon
03-07-2013, 08:58
I'm planning a thru hike of the Long Trail in Vermont this summer. The hike will be mid-August to mid-September. I'm not sure what kind of jacket, if any, to bring. I have a mid weight fleece jacket already that is kind of heavy and takes up space. I have lightweight fleece pullovers. I have a down vest. Alternatively I could buy a puff jacket (down or synthetic?) I'll be bringing a long sleeve technical shirt, a rain jacket, fleece gloves and hat that'll keep me a bit warmer. My sleeping bag is 20F rated. I'm a little confused because I see some gear lists with absolutely nothing for insulation, but then I see some that seem to have overkill?
Anyone have any ideas?

Praha4
03-07-2013, 10:50
u going nobo or sobo? I'll be doing nobo e2e, starting from Williamstown, MA first week of Sept.

I use the Montbell U/L Thermawrap jacket ... packs down to size of a nalgene bottle in ur pack, synthetic down, very warm, great jacket. Less bulky than a fleece. If u start in mid August, coldest nites you will probably see is the 30s, maybe a couple nites down below freezing once u get to mid September.

I can't wait til Sept, have a great hike!

Slo-go'en
03-07-2013, 13:41
When it rains that time of year it can often be in the 40's and of course feel a lot colder due to the dampness. By mid September it can be getting darn chilly in the morning. You'll want a warm layer of some kind. I perfer a "warm" shirt in combination with a rain shell and other layers than an actual "jacket". Gives me a little more flexability with the number and types of layers depending on conditions.

Cookerhiker
03-07-2013, 18:04
My end-to-end was mid-August to mid-September (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248). In addition to my hiking shirt, I had a fleece sweater and a Marmot rain jacket as well as hat & gloves. The coldest night was my last one spent at Seth Warner Shelter.

Wetness & rain are a more important concern than temps. I recommend you have a dry hiking long-sleeved hiking shirt to change in to when you reach camp. Keep it dry in your pack. I had one all-day soaker where everything on my body got wet; changing into that dry shirt at the shelter was a Godsend.

Matthewrozon
03-07-2013, 20:01
Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up ordering a down jacket from MEC (canadian REI) that was on a great sale. I am going NOBO starting August 19th.

Thanks again