PDA

View Full Version : TN 441 from Clingman's to Gatlinburg

Nathan1982
03-07-2013, 12:56
GSMNP posted that 441 is closed between Clingman's and Smokemont until mid May due to a landslide. I'll probably be going through there in late April. Does anyone know of any shuttles that run from the AT crossing at 441 to Gatlinburg? And, will this closing affect those transportation services?
Thanks.

RED-DOG
03-07-2013, 13:03
From Newfound Gap to Gatlinburg the road should be open it's only closed on the Cherokee side, contact the outfitters their in Gatlinburg ( it's ran by the N.O.C ) they should have all the shuttle info in that area. and also you can contact the Grand Prix motel they have a shuttle list also. good luck and have fun.

TNhiker
03-07-2013, 13:28
another shuttle service is A Walk In The Woods.....

http://www.awalkinthewoods.com/pages/wd_shuttle.htm

however.......where the trail crosses the road---at newfound gap---is a heavy traffic area.....

and a real easy place to hitch hike.....

just need a little patience and a thumb and you'll get a ride.....

i've done it from this parking lot (stand at the exit of the parking lot for best results) many times without any problems.....

that's what i'd do if i was in that area again....

you'll get noticed by alot of tourists wanting to see a "real AT hiker"..........along with other cars containing backpackers (who'll will recogize that you're trying to go into town) and it's never been more than a 10-15 minute wait for me at this parking lot....

Nathan1982
03-07-2013, 14:21
Sounds great! Thanks for your help!

wornoutboots
03-07-2013, 16:50
You won't need a shuttle service, The parking lot will be packed that time of the year & someone will surely be happy to give a lift. 8 miles North is New Found Gap parking lot, it sits right on 441 & will be PACKED, it's a better spot to catch a ride into Gatlinburg, I'd be surprised if it would take you more than 2 minutes to score a lift.

T-Rx
03-07-2013, 18:23
Nathan,
If you decide to go with a shuttle from Newfound Gap to Gatlinburg, I will give a +1 to TNhikers suggestion of A Walk in the Woods shuttle service. My wife and I have used them on several occassions. They are prompt and dependable and are also very nice people. Have a great hike.