PDA

View Full Version : Homeade alternatives for purifying water?

todd52
03-07-2013, 15:58
I see that there are all kinds of specialty water filters, purifiers, tablets, etc but I was wondering if just using a coffee filter and boiling the water would get rid of pathogens.

So:

1) Obtain water out of a stream, creek, pond, etc (obviously check for odd smell, discoloration, etc).
2) Pour water into a grease pot.
3) Boil and let cool.
4) Transfer treated water to a clean water bottle or canteen.

I'm assuming this would get rid of any particles and pathogens?.

Also, I was wondering if there are any other supplies readily available at Wally World like charcoal filters, fine screening, etc for the do-it-yourselfer.

Feral Bill
03-07-2013, 16:12
Expect a lot of time and fuel investment, then you have hot water.

leaftye
03-07-2013, 16:23
It would take care of the pathogens, but boiling in a grease pot isn't the best idea.

There are lots of diy solutions, but I don't think a single one of them has been lab tested, so it's all speculation as to how well they work.

Snowleopard
03-07-2013, 16:35
Boiling works as well as any method for purifying water. The coffee filter doesn't do anything to purify the water but does remove floating junk. Other homemade methods are unreliable or worthless. The disadvantages of boiling are that you use a lot of fuel, it takes time and hot water on a hot day is not so pleasant. When you have to melt snow for water in cold winter conditions, boiling is the best method. When temps get below freezing, chemical treatments take too long at 32F/0C and filters are ruined by freezing.

Slo-go'en
03-07-2013, 17:12
You can use a few drops of unsented (100% pure) bleach. 4 to 6 drops per gallon, aggitate a little and wait 15 to 30 minutes for it to work.

Drybones
03-07-2013, 17:14
Expect a lot of time and fuel investment, then you have hot water.

Hot water at night is pretty nice if you have some spiced apple cider mix and Jim Beam to add with it.

HooKooDooKu
03-07-2013, 17:29
Lifted from the Great Smoky Mountains Trail Map and Guide

Drinking water. All water obtained in the backcountry should be treated before drinking to protect you from health hazards. The recommended treatment is to boil it for one minute. Many park waters are clear, cold, and free-running. Nevertheless, they may not be safe to drink unless boiled. Filters may not remove certain bacteria or viruses, and chemical disinfectants require very long contact times for the water temperatures found in these mountains. Do not drink untreated water!
I think the part about boiling for a minute is a bit over the top... but the point is that even the park service sees boiling water as a safe (perhaps the safest) method of treating water.

leaftye
03-07-2013, 17:42
I'd really like to see someone purify their water using fractional distillation.

peakbagger
03-07-2013, 17:48
Bleach is better than nothing but not much as it is ineffective for giardia and crytosporidium two known backcountry nasties.

Boiling works and is fool proof, it doesnt get rid of crud in the water but its sterilizied crud. Arguably you dont have to boile the water, jut get it above 160 degrees F but lacking thermometer most suggest letting it boil as a good indicator.

MuddyWaters
03-07-2013, 21:00
Actually boiling is best, kills everything.
Wood can be used to boil too, you dont have to tote fuel.
But, it would be slow.

Another, is sunlight.
Thats right. Put water in bottle, expose to bright sunlight a few hrs and UV does the same thing the steripen does.

When drawing water from a stagnant source, like a pond, you should get water from the top inch or two for this reason. It contains less bacteria.

WingedMonkey
03-07-2013, 21:12
You can use a few drops of unsented (100% pure) bleach. 4 to 6 drops per gallon, aggitate a little and wait 15 to 30 minutes for it to work.

Perhaps you mean per quart?

BigHodag
03-07-2013, 23:37
Might check out this homemade water filter setup:

Ultralight (17g) 1-Micron Water Filter
http://www.briangreen.net/2011/06/ultralight-17g-1-micron-water-filter.html

todd52
03-07-2013, 23:45
Hey, thanks for all the info!. I'm probably going to include a package of coffee filters and do some boiling when I can't get water anywhere else the more I read and think about it. I haven't been able to find water purification tablets anywhere which really surprises me. I used to easily be able to get them at any Kmart or WallyWorld. I guess now they are a "speciality" item and have to be purchased at a gear shop or online?. I also like the idea of using bleach but I'm not sure where to even get unscented bleach. Anyone know if WW would sell it?.

leaftye
03-07-2013, 23:49
Yes, you should be able to find it there.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-08-2013, 00:25
Hey, thanks for all the info!. I'm probably going to include a package of coffee filters and do some boiling when I can't get water anywhere else the more I read and think about it. I haven't been able to find water purification tablets anywhere which really surprises me. I used to easily be able to get them at any Kmart or WallyWorld. I guess now they are a "speciality" item and have to be purchased at a gear shop or online?. I also like the idea of using bleach but I'm not sure where to even get unscented bleach. Anyone know if WW would sell it?.

Walmart does carry water purification tablets by Coleman....they're iodine based.

Rocket Jones
03-08-2013, 07:17
Bleach has an expiration date. Make sure the stuff you buy and use hasn't started to lose its effectiveness.

Theosus
03-09-2013, 11:05
In Georgia an NC you might find some "distillation" equipment if you get lost off the trail.

Malto
03-09-2013, 11:29
Unscented bleach is regular blue label Clorox. This bleach does not have fragrance and has a higher concentration, above 6%. Also keep it as cool as possible and out of light. Both heat and light reduce the hypo level and therefore it effectiveness.

Lyle
03-09-2013, 11:30
Boiling works fine for purifying. As others have said, uses lots of fuel, lots of time, and no clear cold water to drink for hours.

Something that hasn't been mentioned (at least that I saw):

Have you ever tasted boiled water, even after it's been cooled? BLAAAAAAHHHH! is the best description. Tastes terrible, especially when compared to 99% of spring or stream water. Boiling drives much of the oxygen out of the water and this dramatically affects the taste. Good for emergency situations, or for cooking water. I would try it at home before I counted on it for drinking water.

colorado_rob
03-09-2013, 13:19
Have you ever tasted boiled water, even after it's been cooled? BLAAAAAAHHHH! is the best description. Tastes terrible... This is so true. the only thing that tastes worse than boiled water is hot, melted snow. Yuck.

Anyway, I personally do use a hybrid method whereby at the water source, I filter (or treat) the water I need for drinking, but then I take a full "dirty bag" (Sawyer squeeze bag) of untreated water back to camp and use that water for boiling to be used for cooking (soup, freeze-dried, etc) and tea/coffee. No sense in filtering (or other treatment) water that your just going to boil anyway. One two-liter Sawyer "dirty bag" is usually enough for the evening meal, tea, morning coffee and breakfast oatmeal. Using this "hybrid" approach, I only have to filter (or treat) about 2.5-3 liters a day.

Odd Man Out
03-09-2013, 15:26
You could make a homemade version of these, but they are not portable.

http://www.biosandfilter.org/biosandfilter/index.php/item/229

Blue Mountain Edward
03-09-2013, 16:25
Use a pot bigger than a grease pot. A empty half gallon milk jug would be good for fetching water.