PDA

View Full Version : Nobo Walking Sobo:

Kookork
03-07-2013, 16:48
Last summer when I was hiking a trail Nobo( here in Canada) I found myself walking Sobo. It has happened only once to me but I was wondering that am I the only one who has been walking in the wrong direction? or it has happened to other hikers also.

It happened in the forest section of the trail where I had no direct contact with the sun to correct my direction instinctively.

What about you?

Malto
03-07-2013, 16:51
I left Tri corner knob shelter in the smokies early in the morning before light. I turned the wrong way onto the trail but only got a hundred yards before my hiking companion called me. He noticed that my fresh footprints in the snow were going the wrong way. I would have noticed on my own soon enough based on the elevation gradient.

Slo-go'en
03-07-2013, 17:08
The AT can wander in all directions except north in places, so it can be hard to tell via sun or compass if your going the correct way or not. Since many shelters are on side trails, the usual mistake is to turn the wrong way in the morning, like Malto did. Some times there is a sign to point you the right way, but mostly not.