PDA

View Full Version : Hard times out there...Be Prepared!

Blissful
03-07-2013, 20:24
I'm seeing all over the Twitter feed of hikers having major problems on the AT this year. From a cracked spine and other injures to hypothermia, deep snow and rescues. Plus many problems descending Blood Mtn. Tough time out there. Please be sure you are prepared for whatever weather can hit on the trail any time of year. Carry maps, take a cell phone, limit miles, take extra food in case you are stuck an extra day in a shelter or tent to wait out weather and err on the side of caution.

johnnybgood
03-07-2013, 20:52
This reminds us that starting too early has it's own inherent risk factors and level of preparedness . Having SAR sent out for rescues in deep snow also puts those folks in danger, so think twice before hiking in bad conditions.

hikingirl
03-07-2013, 20:59
I'm just curious.....why do people start so early?? When there is a greater risk of bad weather? Especially people who have never back packed. Just wondering their rationale.

Tipi Walter
03-07-2013, 21:08
I'm just curious.....why do people start so early?? When there is a greater risk of bad weather? Especially people who have never back packed. Just wondering their rationale.

Except for now, we've had a pretty mild winter this year and last. In fact, last March was the hottest on record, at least in the Southeast. I went out with full geese and ended up needing my headnet. Right this minute the mountains in NC/TN and VA have deep snow, and it took Jan and Feb to get to this point. It was like birthing a baby elephant but winter is finally here. And thank God for that.

The early starting newbs generally have no idea what they're getting into as they sit at home with their gear lists and spreadsheets. Most attempt to carry woefully inadequate gear and clothing, and so a normal mountain snowstorm sends them calling for helicopter extraction or bailing to a motel. The rest of us go out in December and January and February and March and deal with it. It's just another winter with cold and snow. So what?

max patch
03-07-2013, 21:11

I believe most people who start so early - and this just my opinion and not based on any research - is that they don't know how long the hike will take them but they do know they need to finish up by October 15. So they leave early "just in case" they need extra time.

A few people truly like winter hiking and know what they are getting into, but that is the extreme minority.

Spaghetti O's
03-07-2013, 21:12
I wonder the same thing hikergirl. I am a newbie hiker and there is no way i would start this early. The only rationale I can think of is either beating the crowds or worry of not making it to the end by fall. Maybe previous years weather played a role in when they chose to start this year. Just some ideas but not good decisions IMO.

Wise Old Owl
03-07-2013, 21:17
Yea Robins arrived today confirming the darn ground hog... its over.. in PA.

Chuckie V
03-07-2013, 21:22

We were all newbies once.

And while I don't know why a newbie wanting to hike the length of the AT would care to make it any tougher on his or herself, I know why I enjoy hiking year round, regardless of weather.

Just as there's often some miserable conditions, so too is there more peaceful serenity, especially when hiking in snow. I don't fault these folks for their motives or even their mistakes, but it is hard to accept when their failures lead others to risk, ala the SAR squads. I'd personally rather die alone in the woods than to have to call for help. Neither is a nice proposition however, so I come prepared to avoid both circumstances. It doesn't look like some of these early birds have done that.

hikerboy57
03-07-2013, 21:42
proper risk assessment comes with experience and mountain weather can be an unforgiving teacher.ive seen snow in the whites in july and be hiking in 80 degree weather 2 days laterr. the past few winters have been relatively mild, and many want to start early to ensure they can finish on time, because they are really not sure of their ability or what pace they can sustain until theyre out there.
i remember last year the guy who was going to set the speed record sobo starting in nov, and ironically, if it could have been done, that would have been the winter to do it.
you can still do all your homework listen to the forecasts and still be caught in a dangerous situation. my grandpa taught me when youre in the mountains to expect the best, but be prepared for the worst.
be safe out there. and take personal responsibility for that safety

Drybones
03-07-2013, 21:59
Some people find it easier to deal with cold than heat so they start early.

yellowsirocco
03-07-2013, 22:11
The early starting newbs generally have no idea what they're getting into as they sit at home with their gear lists and spreadsheets. Most attempt to carry woefully inadequate gear and clothing, and so a normal mountain snowstorm sends them calling for helicopter extraction or bailing to a motel. The rest of us go out in December and January and February and March and deal with it. It's just another winter with cold and snow. So what?

Yep, if you are using a spreadsheet then you are doing it wrong. I have no clue how much my pack ever weighs, I just put good stuff in it like 800 fill down so the weight is not bad (in the summer I can get by without my hip-belt on the day or two before town). Once you put a number on your pack you will be more tempted to make bad decisions based on trying to get that number down.

FatHead64
03-07-2013, 22:34

Except for now, we've had a pretty mild winter this year and last. In fact, last March was the hottest on record, at least in the Southeast. I went out with full geese and ended up needing my headnet. Right this minute the mountains in NC/TN and VA have deep snow, and it took Jan and Feb to get to this point. It was like birthing a baby elephant but winter is finally here. And thank God for that.

I have to totally agree. It has been awhile since I winter camped in scouts, but I know what it's like and I hike year-round here in Michigan. Most people are more prepared to just go out, but don't have the concept of not being able to get out of it. You go out for days with no getting out of the cold or in a warm bed, it's completely different than normal life.

Slo-go'en
03-07-2013, 22:35
Some people find it easier to deal with cold than heat so they start early.

Up to (or down to) a certian point. I like it chilly, but long term I belive it's easier to deal with the heat then the cold. And of course this is a damp cold, often right around or just below freezing, the kind of cold which has a way of getting right into your bones. Everything is cold, damp or wet, stuff freezes up over night and so on. Dealing with that kind of cold gets real old, real fast.

But I think its mostly people don't have any idea how nasty the weather can be on the southern AT in March or late Feb. It really is a different world which when you think about it, not a whole lot of people have experiance with. We try to explain it to those fools "from away", but will they listen? Yes, but with glazed over eyes...

Andrea Griffith
03-07-2013, 22:38
My husband started on The Approach Trail March 5 and is just tonight at the Gooch Mountain Shelter - he said the wind was unbelievable the first 2 days and now it's very muddy from all the snow. Glad it's going to be a beautiful weekend. HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE and may God Bless everyone on the trail

wornoutboots
03-07-2013, 23:36
I was thinking the same thing after reading all these early journals, One Major thing to know is that "The Mountains Make Their Own Weather" Respect It & this goes for Year Round, but Especially in the Winter. If you're starting this early, like others have said prepare for the worse, carry extra emergency gear & food & prepare to shack up for days on end off the Mountains if a storm decides to hang around. Be on the look out for others in trouble & don't hesitate to give advise in rough conditions. Wishing the best for everyone on Trail!!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-08-2013, 01:20
If you get a chance, read the recent journals from smsinnh starting with It is official -on his way! (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php?7707-It-is-official-on-his-way!) on 3/5. I don't know if Sean is a Newbie or not, but I do know that his enthusiasm in the face of the weather he's been in is inspiring. He sounds like he's having so much fun!

As for myself, this Newbie is fully aware of her limitations....heck, at this point in my hiking career I've nothing BUT limitations...so things like daring the weather on mountaintops is not on the schedule. I'm just hoping that mid-April a thousand miles north will be mild enough for my lack of experience to handle.

prain4u
03-08-2013, 01:35

1) Some people fear that it will take them longer than 6 months to get to Katahdin (by October 15th). Thus, they assume (erroneously) that starting earlier almost always will get you there earlier and quicker.

2) Some people are so darn excited and "JUST CAN'T WAIT". They are impatient and anxious---and "fired up". The want to hit the trail and they are MORE THAN READY to quit their dead end job or to escape some sort of "mess" back home. Thus, they plan early departures.

3) So many people just assume that all of the U.S. "South" experiences warm weather all winter--because "South" is where millions of people go to spend their winters in relative warmth. However, there is a big difference between an oceanfront area in Florida, Alabama, Texas, or Louisiana and a mountainous area of Northern Georgia or Tennessee. There is also a difference between being outside for a couple hours each day and being outside 24/7 (day-after-day) in late Winter or early Spring weather.

4) I have to echo TipiWalter. Personally, I am not against ultra lightweight camping. However, it is often safer to get your earliest experiences at lightweight (or ultra lightweight) hiking in a bit warmer weather. ALSO, many Newbies don't seem to understand that there is a big difference between "ultralight 3-season gear" and "ultralight cold-weather gear". They come to woods ill-prepared for cold-weather camping / backpacking.

5) Some Newbies listen to (or misunderstand) the advice that they are seeing on WhiteBlaze. When some Newbies see that other people are starting early they think that they should start early too. They don't realize that some of the people who are starting early have much more experience at cold weather hiking (and other people, who are starting early, are very inexperienced and are simply making a less-than-wise choice).

rocketsocks
03-08-2013, 01:52
I think many fail to do the leg work and find out for themselves just exactly what there gear will do in regards to temps. I see all to often where someone will post a gear list, and others will say "you won't need gloves, or only bring one long sleeve shirt. Folks need to stop relying on others as the last word, and get out there and try things out in extreme temps, precipitation, humid conditions, and snow & freezing rain, it's the only real way of knowing just exactly where your deficiencies lay, and then make changes, pretty simple really.

Chaco Taco
03-08-2013, 08:56
Good post Blissful :cool:. Take care of each other out there folks.

Chaco Taco
03-08-2013, 08:58
Some folks do not enjoy having to haul ass for shleter space, deal with overflowing privies and the crowds that appear after April 1.

jeffmeh
03-08-2013, 09:06
It's very reasonable to start early, but it is foolish to do so without being prepared to encounter winter conditions. That would be the first error in judgment that could lead to an unfortunate end.

Stay safe out there.

Magic_Rat
03-08-2013, 09:58
Yikes, now everyone has me a little nervous for my March 11 start! I stayed pretty comfortable on a weekend 2 night shakedown hike in February with temps down to 20* both nights though.

hikerboy57
03-08-2013, 10:00
Yikes, now everyone has me a little nervous for my March 11 start! I stayed pretty comfortable on a weekend 2 night shakedown hike in February with temps down to 20* both nights though.

that being the case, you should be fine. just bring some extra food just in case you have to hole up for a day or two.
good luck.

Chaco Taco
03-08-2013, 10:19
You will be fine. Temps will rebound this week and the forecast for Franklin NC is showing mid 60's next week.

prain4u
03-08-2013, 10:24
Winter hiking and winter camping are great. It can be a wonderful, beautiful, unique and very safe time to hike......

1) If you have the proper clothing and dress warm enough (but try not to over heat).

2) If you have the right gear (warmer sleeping bag, proper shelter for heavy snow and/or cold temps, have proper footwear--sometimes with spikes/crampons)

3) If you bring enough food (and fuel?). Remember, you burn more calories and you need to be prepared to be snowed in for a while.

4) Don't take unnecessary risks. Know your limits--and know the limits of your gear. Be safe. Don't be afraid to "hunker down" and "stay put" when necessary.

The problems is, many newbies don't take the proper precautions and they have the wrong gear and wrong clothing for cold weather hiking.

Tipi Walter
03-08-2013, 10:33
Winter hiking and winter camping are great. It can be a wonderful, beautiful, unique and very safe time to hike......

1) If you have the proper clothing and dress warm enough (but try not to over heat).

2) If you have the right gear (warmer sleeping bag, proper shelter for heavy snow and/or cold temps, have proper footwear--sometimes with spikes/crampons)

3) If you bring enough food (and fuel?). Remember, you burn more calories and you need to be prepared to be snowed in for a while.

4) Don't take unnecessary risks. Know your limits--and know the limits of your gear. Be safe. Don't be afraid to "hunker down" and "stay put" when necessary.

The problems is, many newbies don't take the proper precautions and they have the wrong gear and wrong clothing for cold weather hiking.

I see this all the time. I think I wrote a long screed on the subject last year, something about the unwillingness to Go Overkill especially with a sleeping bag and ground pad. Most AT backpackers do not carry subzero bags and high Rvalue pads. Why? Weight and $. So they suffer.

Tinker
03-08-2013, 10:37
I've seen many reasons to indicate that many newbies would benefit from starting a hike sobo from Maine in late June. I suspect the romantic notion of a nobo hike is why many don't. The other two reasons are that they might want to end on Katahdin and/or being afraid of the so-called "Hundred Mile Wilderness" which isn't much more wild than most of the trail but it requires you to carry less fluff and more food.

The other options are to hike the hike from the middle to one end and then flip back to the middle or start at the opposite end.

I've done both ends and all of the north so I don't have that "romantic" notion in my head anymore.

To me it would be a vacation in the woods and a chance to make new friends, not so much an adventure.

God bless those "newbies" who tough it out and make it through. :)

Blue Mountain Edward
03-08-2013, 11:39
It is a bit risky hiking during winter. The mud must be deep and cold. If you aint enjoying yourself why do it. Just wait until spring and be safe and comfortable.

Tipi Walter
03-08-2013, 12:04
It is a bit risky hiking during winter. The mud must be deep and cold. If you aint enjoying yourself why do it. Just wait until spring and be safe and comfortable.

Because winter is the best time to be out.

Slo-go'en
03-08-2013, 13:12
You will be fine. Temps will rebound this week and the forecast for Franklin NC is showing mid 60's next week.

Yea, but it looks like more storms on the horizon heading east. Cold rain is just as bad, if not worse.

FatHead64
03-08-2013, 13:52

I agree - I like my winter hiking much better than the summer. Especially when you are laying down the first tracks! :banana

Slo-go'en
03-08-2013, 15:51
I like winter hiking just fine, but I don't like winter camping much.

rocketsocks
03-08-2013, 15:56
I like winter hiking just fine, but I don't like winter camping much.Me too, or at least my winter hanging around kit is just not where I'd like it to be...one day!:)

fertilizer
03-08-2013, 16:02
I just saw this on the news.....hiker had to be rescued on the AT near Unaka Mt

http://www.wate.com/story/21555864/va-woman-rescued-after-bad-weather-on-trail

I'm glad she's OK.

Chaco Taco
03-09-2013, 15:54
If hiking with the proper gear and especially, proper clothing, winter backpacking is quite fun and very peaceful.

Another Kevin
03-09-2013, 17:15

Matter of opinion!

On the plus side: no mud, no bugs, no crowds, and the bears and snakes are asleep. It's a great time to bushwhack because you can snowshoe over obstacles that you'd have to crash through otherwise. And there are no views like what you get on a clear day in winter when all the haze has frozen out of the air.

On the minus side: having to lug all the winter gear. I think that once I have snowshoes, microspikes, a winter-weight sleeping bag, a winter-weight crash pad, and winter-weight clothing, and enough fuel to deal with the lack of unfrozen water, I've more than doubled the base weight of my pack. And the days are short, so I can't hike as far without resorting to a lot of night travel.

If you have Tipi Walter's astonishing load-bearing capacity, you'll love winter travel. For the rest of us mere mortals, well, it's all good, but I'm not convinced winter is better.

double d
03-10-2013, 15:45

I'm surprised Tipi that the newbie hikers on a thru aren't wearing socks and sandels yet!!!! "hey, did you know you can save 1.25 ounces by not wearing shoe laces"??? just havng some fun with the new thru hikers-good luck on your journey.

tiptoe
03-10-2013, 16:18
I'm also very fond of winter hiking, but backpacking in the cold is not for me. I can get close to hypothermic in my own house if I sit too long.