PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy Hammocks Are Cool

yellowtree
06-19-2005, 00:04
I recently went camping in NC, and my friend doesn't use his Kelty Zen 4 season tent anymore. He has opted for this Jungle Hammock (http://www.hennessyhammock.com/). This is the ultimate setup, though he still needs to cover his pack, and house his dog. He tried dumping off the pooch on everyone else in the campsite in the pouring rain.

Youngblood
06-19-2005, 08:31
I recently went camping in NC, and my friend doesn't use his Kelty Zen 4 season tent anymore. He has opted for this Jungle Hammock (http://www.hennessyhammock.com/). This is the ultimate setup, though he still needs to cover his pack, and house his dog. He tried dumping off the pooch on everyone else in the campsite in the pouring rain.

Ultimate is a pretty strong statement... his dog probably doesn't care for it when it is raining. :)

Youngblood

yellowtree
06-19-2005, 10:53
Ultimate is a pretty strong statement... his dog probably doesn't care for it when it is raining. :)

Youngblood
Well it is the ultimate setup for a single thru hiker overall. Thats just my opinion though. I like the word ultimate.

P.S. He does have a doggie tent he uses sometimes.

neo
06-19-2005, 11:55
i am a hammock hanger
my wife is a hammock hanger
my to boys are hammock hangers
i dont have a dog:cool: neo

jackiebolen
06-19-2005, 13:29
Trying to dump off the dog to everyone else in the rain just isn't cool.

I find that if you put your pack under the hammock it stays nice and dry. You just have to position it right. You can even put it on top of your shoes so it stays off the ground.

But yes, the hammock is the ultimate.

neo
06-19-2005, 14:42
i use my hammock on all ocassions,car camping,backpacking,cycling,kayaking
it is the ultimate:cool: neo

Catsgoing
06-19-2005, 14:54
Want a dog ?

yellowtree
06-19-2005, 16:52
Want a dog ?
The only thing about hammocks you can't.."lay around" the hammock like you can your tent. And they aren't really "ideal" for cats.

I gotta cat, but thanks!

Just Jeff
06-19-2005, 17:07
The only thing about hammocks you can't.."lay around" the hammock like you can your tent.
Hrm...I guess you're right.

But then you can't "lay around" in your tent like I can in my hammock.

It's all perspective, Grasshopper.

neo
06-20-2005, 00:08
tent,s suck:cool: neo

Heater
06-20-2005, 00:38
my to boys are hammock hangers
:cool: neo
So are mine. :banana

I always preferred briefs rather than boxers. Helps with the chafing too! :dance

newhampshire camper
06-20-2005, 06:17
I have the Safari model and I find that I have plenty of room for me and my essential gear....you just work with your stuff on an incline(comfortable) rather than all bent over or having to sit indian style, or kneel on your knees(rather uncomfortable after a while). Also, if you have a larger tarp (say 8'-10') you can work under the hammock and stay dry with whatever it is you need to do........hammocks rule!!!!!

Youngblood
06-20-2005, 08:35
I have the Safari model and I find that I have plenty of room for me and my essential gear....you just work with your stuff on an incline(comfortable) rather than all bent over or having to sit indian style, or kneel on your knees(rather uncomfortable after a while). Also, if you have a larger tarp (say 8'-10') you can work under the hammock and stay dry with whatever it is you need to do........hammocks rule!!!!!Maybe you can sublet out the area under your hammock to yellowtree's friend's dog so that he doesn't get wet when it rains?

I have a funny story from when I used a HH a few years back. As you know, you are enclosed in those hammocks and it is not easy seeing what is around you, especially what is underneath you. I was trying out some cold weather gear in my backyard when I was awaken by a loose dog from the neighborhood that was barking to beat all hell, right underneath my hammock. Well I wasn't sure if he was going to be aggressive or not so I didn't move or make a sound... I sure wasn't going to stick a leg out of the bottom of the hammock. I figure what happened was that he was roaming the neighborhood and didn't realize I was there. He must have just walked under my hammock when I let out a loud snore and that probably scared the crap out of him as he had no idea of what it was or where it was, but it sounded to him like something was right on him trying to attack him. So I guess we happened to scare each other pretty good. :)

Youngblood

Dances with Mice
06-20-2005, 09:00
I was trying out some cold weather gear in my backyard when ....I let out a loud snore ....

That's the real reason you were hammocking in your backyard, isn't it?

Please don't give my wife any ideas.

Just Jeff
06-20-2005, 11:02
tent,s suck:cool: neo
Yeah. So do apostrophes... ,'-)

yellowtree
06-20-2005, 18:03
That's the real reason you were hammocking in your backyard, isn't it?

Please don't give my wife any ideas.
I have wanted to set my tent up in my spare bedroom for, ahh....testing out cold weather gear too...yea thats the ticket. Hey honey if you need me I'm in here testing stuff.

Frosty
06-20-2005, 20:05
Hrm...I guess you're right.

But then you can't "lay around" in your tent like I can in my hammock.

It's all perspective, Grasshopper.What's the perspective having to spend a couple days and nights in your hammock as opposed to in a tent? At least you'll get plenty or rest, not moving for 48 hours :)

Scrunchy
06-20-2005, 20:52
Just have to pass this on to you hammock lovers :rolleyes:...I was camping up at Gregory Bald a couple of years ago when a ranger appeared on horseback to check my permit. Talked with him for awhile and found out that the night before, at Elkmont, a guy sleeping in a hammock had his hand tasted by a black bear! He had evidently cooked chicken the night before, and hadn't sufficiently cleaned up....my opinion is, that the bear thought he was a giant food bag suspended in between the trees.:p The guy wasn't hurt, and took all the blame for the encounter, but I have to admit I always think about that story when reading about people in hammocks.

Bolivershagnasty
06-20-2005, 22:41
Yea in an area with "educated" bears you might get one heck of a ride in one of those "giant food bags"..YeeeHawwww! WHoaa!!!!

neo
06-20-2005, 23:04
who needs a tent,when ya can hang in a hammock:cool: neo

Hindsfeet
06-20-2005, 23:33
I opted for the oversize hex tarp when I purchased my HH and also went camping up in Pisgah NF recently. It rained for four days. I took my boxer and pit also. We all stayed dry,my gear,my dogs,my pack, also had plenty room to cook.I snaked skinned my hammock and just layed under the tarp during day lite hours. IMHO a pound extra is so worth the extra weight setting up and bustin camp in the dry plus a place to cook and pack ye stuff...

Just Jeff
06-21-2005, 01:13
What's the perspective having to spend a couple days and nights in your hammock as opposed to in a tent? At least you'll get plenty or rest, not moving for 48 hours :)
What makes you think I can't move in my hammock, or snakeskin it and STAND UP under my tarp when it's raining? I'd like to see you stand up in your backpacking tent! :p

SGT Rock
06-21-2005, 07:31
Just have to pass this on to you hammock lovers :rolleyes:...I was camping up at Gregory Bald a couple of years ago when a ranger appeared on horseback to check my permit. Talked with him for awhile and found out that the night before, at Elkmont, a guy sleeping in a hammock had his hand tasted by a black bear! He had evidently cooked chicken the night before, and hadn't sufficiently cleaned up....my opinion is, that the bear thought he was a giant food bag suspended in between the trees.:p The guy wasn't hurt, and took all the blame for the encounter, but I have to admit I always think about that story when reading about people in hammocks.
Same thing can happen to anyone that cooks under a tarp, vestibule, or those soles that cook inside their tent. Personally I just fart alot to scare off the bears.:eek:

jlb2012
06-21-2005, 07:48
Same thing can happen to anyone that cooks under a tarp, vestibule, or those soles that cook inside their tent. Personally I just fart alot to scare off the bears.:eek:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/mex-grocer_1846_458009.jpg

yep love them refried beans

also looks like I don't know beans about posting images here - sigh :confused:

yellowtree
06-21-2005, 12:53
who needs a tent,when ya can hang in a hammock:cool: neo
People that don't have hammocks?

yellowtree
06-21-2005, 12:55
What makes you think I can't move in my hammock, or snakeskin it and STAND UP under my tarp when it's raining? I'd like to see you stand up in your backpacking tent! :p
I setup a tarp city, and stand under them. Why would you want to stand up in your tent? Very awkward.

Just Jeff
06-21-2005, 17:04
So you carry a tent AND an array of tarps? And you call ME awkward?! :)

How much does your tent/tarp city weigh?

yellowtree
06-22-2005, 22:26
So you carry a tent AND an array of tarps? And you call ME awkward?! :)
How much does your tent/tarp city weigh?
I never called you awkward!:)

I love my 5.9oz Kelty ZEN 3 Season Tent. Not planning on a hammock just yet
I have an "Ultimate" Army Issue Camo 8x10 tarp(with steel reinforced grommets), and it weighs aprox. 1 lb. or less.

The Tarp city is constructed when camping with friends. I don't thru-hike with the tarp city strapped to my back. My friends all have multiple tarps they bring to camp. We build Tarp City then.

I've never seen anyone stand under a hammock. Do you hang it in the upper branches? Are you a midget? BTW...What size tent do you have that you can stand in? Do you carry a large tent with you on the trail?

peace out

Just Jeff
06-23-2005, 00:49
Oh...I thought we were talking about individual gear.

I hang my tarp as high/low as I want to, then hang my hammock on its own straps.

If I hang the tarp high enough, I can stand up underneath. Then I leave the hammock in the skins and it's out of the way enough to do chores under it if I want to.

I usually hang one end of the tarp higher than the other so I can stand up under that end...enough to dress standing up, anyway. If it's storming, I'll hang the whole thing lower...but still about chest high. Much easier than dressing on my butt sitting in a tent.

I haven't carried a tent since I got my hammock. I was pointing out that I can stand under a dry tarp for the same weight you carry in a tent, and I haven't found a backpacking tent that will let anyone stand up inside. Just my preference...not the answer for everyone.

Youngblood
06-23-2005, 09:27
Yellowtree,

When you use 'ultimate' as a description, do you meant that it is the 'best there is' or do you mean that it is the 'most extreme of its kind'? Because when you said "ultimate setup" in your first post I took that to mean that it was the best camping setup there is (and of course we all know mine is :) ), which is why I said that was a pretty strong statement... especially since you were not the one using it. I think maybe I misunderstood your statement. Communications are sometimes funny that way, a person says one thing and someone hears it as something entirely different. Lots of arguments start because of that, especially on the internet... dang ol' English language strikes again.

Youngblood

neo
06-23-2005, 11:39
my wifes over sized hex silnylon tarp from hennesey hammock came in yesterday

it has more coverage than jacks r better sinylon tarp,i prefer jacks r better silnylon tarp over the hex silnylon tarp.:cool: neo

dougmeredith
06-23-2005, 11:47
Neo,

my wifes over sized hex silnylon tarp from hennesey hammock came in yesterday

it has more coverage than jacks r better sinylon tarp,i prefer jacks r better silnylon tarp over the hex silnylon tarp.:cool: neo
Can you elaborate on this? Why do you prefer the tarp with less coverage?

Doug

Footslogger
06-23-2005, 11:53
Neo,

Doug==============================
Yeah Neo ...give us some details. One of the reasons (other than for winter camping) that I stopped using my HH was the lack of coverage with the older style fly. I've been looking at some alternatives but haven't locked in on one yet.

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

Brock
06-23-2005, 13:09
There are both advantages and disadvantages to hammocks. I just bought one at trail days and have learned since then...

With the snake skin attachments, it makes the hh incredibly easy to setup and take down, especially in the rain. This hands down beats any tent out there. No more wrapping up your wet tent/hammock into a bag in your pack.

But, with that said, the hammocks aren't that comfortable for chilling out in. Meaning, its hard to change clothes in there and if it is cold and you don't have the 4 seasons package, you are going to be cold. Now, some use a sleeping pad, but that is extrememly difficult to get situation right with the sleeping bag and yourself in the hammock.

Also, cooking in a hammock is more difficult than in a tent.
But, sleeping in a hammock in awesome compared to a tent. With a zrest pad, I was waking up several times a night to roll over... no more with the hammock.

My advice is to use the hammock during the warm times and a 3-4 season tent during the cold times. Sleeping in the hammock during the heat is great compared with a tent.

There is my 2 cents.

Footslogger
06-23-2005, 13:33
My advice is to use the hammock during the warm times and a 3-4 season tent during the cold times. Sleeping in the hammock during the heat is great compared with a tent.
==========================================
That was my conclusion after a couple years use of my HH. Course since then I've gotten my hands on a 23 oz solo tent with floor and mesh that I pretty much use all the time now.

'Slogger

Just Jeff
06-23-2005, 14:28
The HH hex fly requires two ridgeline points (same tree as hammock supports, generally) and four stakes. The JRB requires only two stakes, and I think it's lighter.

Two stakeout points means easier setup, easier to find a suitable location in the eastern US, and quicker (but not much) setup.

IMO, the better thing about a hex is the increased protection at the ENDS of the hammock...where most of the rain splashes in. That means you can hang the tarp higher over the hammock and get the same protection as the JRB, which can result in better ventilation, views, more room to stand and move around in, etc.

I'm happy with my JRB, too.

neo
06-23-2005, 15:39
Neo,

Doug
less coverage,ok the jacks r better is way more than enough tarp,the hex tarp is over kill,the hex silnylon tarp is 5 more oz,and cost 50.00 more bucks,it has 6 sides,i would not buy one for myself,the jacks r better top rules,the best tarp money can buy:cool: neo

wacocelt
06-23-2005, 15:54
I love my 3lb MSR Hubba, nothing like a freestanding, bug-proof, wind and rain resistant tent IMO.

bulldog49
06-23-2005, 17:00
I love my 3lb MSR Hubba, nothing like a freestanding, bug-proof, wind and rain resistant tent IMO.

That's my opinion as well.

wacocelt
06-23-2005, 17:06
Careful Bulldog, even though we're right, agreeing with me can give you a bad name!

I will admit however, that I greatly enjoyed using the military issue hammocks while in Panama, since you can set up a hammock whether theres level ground or not, which there usually wasn't.

Catsgoing
07-06-2005, 21:23
I like your wifes.............

Catsgoing
12-10-2005, 22:18
I like my tent if with my dogs......... I can lay in my tent and flick the ticks out....

I like my hammock when alone...... It feels good on my back....

Depends what type of camping your doing... Kayak camping I bring a tent trees are not the biggest thrill to see in Florida........

Thanks For Reading And Be Nice To Mother Earth