PDA

View Full Version : Hiking solo - good idea under the right circumstances?

todd52
03-07-2013, 23:39
I've been reading about hiking solo lately. It seems there is a school of thought that says it's not a good idea but I am not all that clear about what the reason for this is. I have surmised that some people don't think it's a good idea to hike solo because of any one of the following possabilities...

1) Nobody to keep you company
2) More vulnerable to criminals and therefore, more of a target
3) Nobody to watch your back in the event of an approaching bear
4) Nobody to help you if you become sick or injured

I'm wondering what the number one reason is for hiking with a companion (or group) vs hiking solo is. Is it ok to hike solo if you walk along well-worn trails where there are usually lots of people?. How do you find people to hike with once you are just starting out on the trail...I mean, I'm thinking I couldn't walk upon a group of fellow hikers and just say "hi, I'm Mike and I'm going to be walking with you today for safety and security". I'm pretty socially awkward to begin with so I'm really not sure to how to break the ice and politely ask if I could join them for a few days...or a week without sounding wierd or coming on too strong.

Any advice?.

Prime Time
03-08-2013, 00:01
1, 2, and 3 are complete non issues. 4 is no big deal either as long as you are prudent. Depending on your experience level, you may be better off sticking to trails were at least some people travel on a daily basis. I am almost always alone and never give it a second thought. You should always have with you what you would need to get you through an unplanned night should the need arise.

MuddyWaters
03-08-2013, 00:06
Most people hike solo.
Even if you hike with someone, much of the time you are by yourself.
People dont hike at same speed, so you each hike your speed, and then stop and meet up periodically.
Allows both persons to have a quiet woodsy experience too
Usually you wont be more than 10 min apart, unless one stops to rest.
Besides, looking at the rear-end of the person in front of you all day long, kind of sucks. Or maybe not depending.

fiddlehead
03-08-2013, 00:10
Hiking alone is my first choice.
on the AT, sometimes it's not so easy as there are crowds.
I like the solitude of the woods (and quiet)
If I want to hike with someone, perhaps meet people at or near the shelters at night and if you are lucky, someone you get along with will have the same hiking pace as you.
Taking breaks for the same amount of time and at the same intervals is another issue.
It's not always easy to find that person.

As far as safety, it's something I never worried about.
Just hike.
and Enjoy!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-08-2013, 00:18
1, 2, and 3 are complete non issues. 4 is no big deal either as long as you are prudent. Depending on your experience level, you may be better off sticking to trails were at least some people travel on a daily basis. I am almost always alone and never give it a second thought. You should always have with you what you would need to get you through an unplanned night should the need arise.

Sorry Prime Time, but I couldn't agree with you less. Put yourself in the place of any woman hiking alone and then tell me that #2 is a complete non-issue. Even the ATC devotes a section of their instruction and "tips" (as does every backpacking manual I've read) on advising women how to best protect themselves if hiking alone. We're not talking bears here, but the human predator...certainly that would classify as criminal.

It is a very sad thing that our society goes to such length to instruct and prepare women to protect themselves from assault and/or rape, but actually does very little to teach our men to not assault and/or rape. It is very real, and the AT is not immune.

hikerboy57
03-08-2013, 00:21
Sorry Prime Time, but I couldn't agree with you less. Put yourself in the place of any woman hiking alone and then tell me that #2 is a complete non-issue. Even the ATC devotes a section of their instruction and "tips" (as does every backpacking manual I've read) on advising women how to best protect themselves if hiking alone. We're not talking bears here, but the human predator...certainly that would classify as criminal.

It is a very sad thing that our society goes to such length to instruct and prepare women to protect themselves from assault and/or rape, but actually does very little to teach our men to not assault and/or rape. It is very real, and the AT is not immune.
teach our men to not assault or rape?which ones would you like to teach or can you pick them out for us?
wow.

Rasty
03-08-2013, 00:25

Most men don't assault and/or rape. It's a very sad thing when some paint others with such a broad brush.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-08-2013, 00:32
teach our men to not assault or rape?which ones would you like to teach or can you pick them out for us?
wow.

I wish we could pick them out....that would take care of the problem, wouldn't it? (Of course I realize that criminal behavior is not restricted to men, so in that respect I don't mean to offend. But the majority of opposite sex assaults and rapes do tend to be credited to men.)

I'm not being accusatory, really....I just wanted Prime Time to recognize the validity of todd52's possiblilty #2 for others if not for himself.

Northern Lights
03-08-2013, 00:36
I hike alone, I prefer it, I don't have to worry about keeping up with someone or them keeping up with me. Do I worry about human predators? Not really. Sure when I get to a shelter I'll keep to myself until I get a 'feel' for the people at the shelter. To date I have had no issues. I hope to keep it that way. I would think there is far less chance of an assault or rape on the trail than in the small community I live in now.

I don't worry too much about bears either. I've only seen two, they did their thing and I did mine, I'm in their country and I respect that.

leaftye
03-08-2013, 01:03

Do you have statistics to back up this fear?

If you feel safer with a hiking buddy or group, then I certainly won't fault you for that, but please don't mix up actual risk with perceived risk.

I only know of a few attacks. All on men. One of the alleged attackers was a woman.

vamelungeon
03-08-2013, 04:13
I prefer to hike alone. I don't have to adjust my speed to anyone else, I pick the camping spot, I have lots of time to think, and I'm comfortable with my own company, and I like quiet.

JAK
03-08-2013, 04:52
I've been reading about hiking solo lately. It seems there is a school of thought that says it's not a good idea but I am not all that clear about what the reason for this is. I have surmised that some people don't think it's a good idea to hike solo because of any one of the following possabilities...

I'm wondering what the number one reason is for hiking with a companion (or group) vs hiking solo is. Is it ok to hike solo if you walk along well-worn trails where there are usually lots of people?. How do you find people to hike with once you are just starting out on the trail...I mean, I'm thinking I couldn't walk upon a group of fellow hikers and just say "hi, I'm Mike and I'm going to be walking with you today for safety and security". I'm pretty socially awkward to begin with so I'm really not sure to how to break the ice and politely ask if I could join them for a few days...or a week without sounding wierd or coming on too strong.

Any advice?.
1,2,3,4 are not non-issues. I do 90% of my hiking alone and 9% with only my daughter. I would totally hike more and longer if I had the right person to hike with more often and farther. I am convinced that smaller hikers, and younger hikers, and women are more vulnerable to both human criminals and animals. However rare animal attacks are, it only makes sense that smaller solo hikers would be more vulnerable, such as bears, feral dogs, and in one case in Cape Breton eastern coyotes. There are few statistics to bear that out, but very few small humans hike and camp alone. I am 6' 200 pounds and when I hike alone I have little or no fear. When I hike with my daughter I carry a large stick, and we use a tent. There is 1 bear per 2 square miles in New Brunswick, and we rarely ever see them, but you can be sure they know we are out there. I have rarely seen coyote, but a few winters ago I encountered a small pack on the island running past the small island I was on. They are afraid of us, but gave me a good scare, and I think if I was a smaller person, like 100 pounds or less, it would only be natural that I would be more vulnerable. Of course humans are a more serious threat in more populated areas. The risks are real, but so are the awards. Unfortunately the risks are not the same for everyone. As a father of a now 13 1/2 year old daughter, still only 80 pounds soaking wet, I am encouraging here to learn to some day be able to hike in the woods and paddle on the river and on sail the ocean and go wherever her heart takes her, but she will have to calculate the potential risks and rewards on here own. They might be the same as for me when driving down the highway, perhaps more when she first learns to drive, but on the street, and on trails, and in the woods, they are very different. Who am I to tell her otherwise?

JAK
03-08-2013, 04:58
You don't need statistics to prove that smaller females and children are more vulnerable than larger males and adults.
It is a matter of science, and common sense. It is not hard to figure out. Even a child knows this.

peakbagger
03-08-2013, 08:53
Hiking solo on the AT during normal thruhiker season rarely happens. You may not see a lot of folks during the day as they are mostly heading in the same direction as you are and headin to the same place but if you stop for awhile inevitably someone catches up with you. This randomness actually assists in security as someone inclined to doing harm is not going to be able to control who might come walking by from either direction.

Rain Man
03-08-2013, 09:02
You don't need statistics to prove that smaller females and children are more vulnerable than larger males and adults.
It is a matter of science, and common sense. It is not hard to figure out. Even a child knows this.

By that reasoning, even a child knows he/she knows they are more vulnerable to males, so males are the danger.

Lots of sophisms in this thread. Teaching males not to rape makes as much, if not more, sense as teaching females to avoid rape. I sat through a long college new student/new parent presentation by a campus police chief with my youngest daughter (I have three). Never once mentioned the males half of the equation of sexual assault, while spending lots of time telling the victims (i.e., females) they were responsible for this, that, and the other (i.e., watching their drinks in bars). It was quite insulting. All the blame was being placed on the girls. I was NOT impressed.

I agree that 1, 2, 3, and 4 are non-issues, as are "snakes and bears." Driving to and from the hike is a bigger issue, safety-wise.

I enjoy hiking alone, as do my daughters. Among us we have a thru-hike, 1,200 miles of section hiking, 200 miles of section hiking; included are some family section hikes and same with just my wife. NEVER had any of those four issues in all those miles and years.

Rain Man

Tinker
03-08-2013, 09:09
wow.

Morality cannot be legislated.

Teaching the "right thing" does not assure compliance.

Unfortunately, I think that some are misguided into thinking that telling everyone to "Make nice" will fix the problems of this world.

This seems to be prevalent in our highly educated Western "First World" way of thinking.

I wish it was not so.

Back on topic:

Hiking with a trusted friend is undoubtedly "safer" than hiking alone.

The most valuable lessons of life are rarely learned in a "safe" environment.

For me, part of the "thrill" of hiking is being alone (if you know me you'll know that I never am truly alone).

"Seeking God, oneness with nature, peace, spirituality", etc. is complicated when hiking with others, unless they are on the same page as you are.

I started out by hiking with others.

I "graduated" to hiking alone and still love my solitary time in the woods.

I've learned to enjoy hiking with others and to communicate with them the expectations of each hike so that we all have a chance to achieve our own personal "goals".

In the above notes, "......." should be understood as "commonly known as" or "so-called".

Cookerhiker
03-08-2013, 09:12
Worse than hiking alone is committing to hiking with someone only to find out you're not compatible on things like pace, wake-up time, stop for the evening time, temperament, where to camp, etc. etc. Whatever your reasons for wanting a hiking partner, it's important to clear the air beforehand on hiking styles and preferences. Being good friends in everyday life doesn't necessarily translate into meshing well together on the trail.

As I get older, I consider #4 on the list more than I used to. For example, I won't even day-hike alone in winter where there's ice on steep slopes unless it's a trail where others will frequent which means it has to be on a weekend. Otherwise for long-distance backpacks, I have 2 hiking partners with whom I'm very compatible but I'm also not averse to hiking alone like I will this summer for a portion of the John Muir Trail.

Regarding your point about asking to tag along with groups, I don't think it's necessary to say any more than "hi, looks like we're going in the same direction, see you up the trail." And then go on. You'll never be truly alone; you're crisscrossing and leapfrogging each other. Peakbagger's point above is spot-on.

Gray Blazer
03-08-2013, 09:14
I used to hike alone a lot. Now for personal reasons, I do not hike without (at least) my 90 lb Lab. There were a coupla times I was really scared for my life.

Tinker
03-08-2013, 09:24

If you feel safer with a hiking buddy or group, then I certainly won't fault you for that, but please don't mix up actual risk with perceived risk.

I only know of a few attacks. All on men. One of the alleged attackers was a woman.

I'd guess it has more to do with a very unfortunate personal experience. :(

Such experiences often lead to phobias, certainly not unfounded, and just as certainly tragically life altering in a negative way.

Irrational fear enslaves - healthy fear frees one to go on with life.

For the record, there have been physical attacks on women on the AT. I almost got into one (involving both a young man and his fiancee) that I only read about second hand but was so tragic that it hurts to even think about it.

VT-Mike
03-08-2013, 09:28
In my experience this all boils down to the individuals comfort and ability level. I hike solo more often than not, for a day or a week at a time. I learn the area as much as possible and travel prepared for as many possibilities as possible.

Can a random accident or assault occur? Yes. Could it also happen at home? Yes.

Having lived in a major Mid-Atlantic city and now living in the rural Northeast, I rather walk day or night through the woods than the city or town. Did I walk solo through the city day and night? Yes. Was I lucky not get hurt? Maybe. I have always felt if acting like you know where you are and what you are doing while being aware of what is going on it is much less likely. It might be pessimistic but my view of people is the opposite of our legal system. Everyone is suspect/guilty until proven innocent, in the woods or the streets.

flemdawg1
03-08-2013, 10:57

http://www.youtube.com/embed/U6UWNA-WQgI

Teacher & Snacktime
03-08-2013, 11:00

I wasn't actually referring to attacks on the AT, but on the general sense of a certain level of vulnerability quite often felt by women when alone. It could be on a dark street at night, an empty parking garage, etc. My point was simply that wariness of being alone because of a potential criminal element is a real concern....especially for women.

The only AT attacks on women I'm aware of were both ironically perpetrated on pairs of women in each case: the 1981 (?) attack on a pair of young women described in the book Eight Bullets, and the murder of two young ladies in the year Bryson did his "Walk in the Woods". There may be more, but I'm not really inclined to look them up....I'd really rather have faith in the statistics of likely safety and not dwell on the negative possibilities....but that doesn't mean I'm not aware they exist.

Sandy of PA
03-08-2013, 11:06
I hike solo because if I had to find someone to hike with I would never get to go! I use trekking poles, they make great weapons. I wear colors that blend in. I don't tell people where I plan to camp. I hike the AT because it is a busy trail. I don't live in fear, the joy of the outdoors is truely living.

DavidNH
03-08-2013, 11:08
Along most major eastern trails (i.e. Appalachian Trail, Long Trail) not only it's not a problem to hike solo, it may be an advantage. There are plenty of other folks on the trails, and traveling alone allows one to hike with folks for short periods of time and then 'leave" them. If you start out hiking with some one.. he or she best be really good friend or you may well split up anyway.

Coffee
03-08-2013, 11:11
Most criminals tend to be lazy. To me this means that the greatest risks are in towns and cities, not on the trail. And my feeling is that the deeper into the woods you get from a trail head, road, or multi-use type of trail (ATVs), the safer you will be.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-08-2013, 11:28
I hike solo because if I had to find someone to hike with I would never get to go! I use trekking poles, they make great weapons. I wear colors that blend in. I don't tell people where I plan to camp. I hike the AT because it is a busy trail. I don't live in fear, the joy of the outdoors is truely living.

Thank you Sandy for so clearly illustrating my point. Yes, you hike alone, but the fact that you view your sticks as potential weapons and take deliberate precautions for your safety against the "criminal" element (camouflage and camp misdirection are tactics wasted on bears) indicates you recognize this as a factor in your hiking decisions..

flemdawg1
03-08-2013, 11:30
Todd, please stop it. Quit letting fear control your life. You will die someday, its inevitable. But you can't be afraid to live. Get out there, and enjoy it.

You are safer on the trail than you are in your hometown, walking or (especially) driving.

Its Friday, tomorrow get up early make a couple of sandwhiches, a bottle of water, a piece of fruit, and a rain jacket. Drive to Neels gap (http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Atlanta,+GA&daddr=Neels+Gap,+Cohutta+National+Forest,+Georgia+ 30528&hl=en&sll=34.734814,-83.917965&sspn=0.029343,0.036392&geocode=FQP4AgIdclf4-imNCZNpXQT1iDELYwuZL97-Zg%3BFd4CEgIdc4P_-imLObJFwj9fiDEmjWp_MxzXIQ&oq=Atlanta&mra=ls&t=m&z=9), walk up Blood Mountain, eat lunch, talk to a couple of thruhikers, hike down, buy a celebratory ice cream sandwich in Mountain Crossings.

I'm 99.999999% sure you will have a great time. You will not be mugged, attacked, raped or murdered. The weather is forcasted to be great.

Go LIVE!!

Train Wreck
03-08-2013, 11:36

I am completely bemused by your choice of words here.

Ewok11
03-08-2013, 11:50
I have hiked and will hike again both alone and with companions (usually my husband). I am female, young and relatively small at 5'2". My husband is male, young and relatively large at 6'4". Do I feel safer with him? It depends on where we are and where we're going. Am I less obviously concerned for my individual safety with him? Probably. Do I enjoy hiking as much with him? Situational. He's more than a foot taller than me, so our strides and hiking speeds are no where near the same. He either has to slow down to stay with me or I have to speed walk/run to stay with him. I usually end up enjoying the scenery and serenity more without him but I miss the shared experience I would have with him.

HikerMom58
03-08-2013, 12:17
http://www.youtube.com/embed/U6UWNA-WQgI

Just in case y'all missed it...:banana from flemdawg1...
================================================== ================================================== ==========
Todd, please stop it. Quit letting fear control your life. You will die someday, its inevitable. But you can't be afraid to live. Get out there, and enjoy it.

You are safer on the trail than you are in your hometown, walking or (especially) driving.

Its Friday, tomorrow get up early make a couple of sandwhiches, a bottle of water, a piece of fruit, and a rain jacket. Drive to Neels gap (http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=At...mra=ls&t=m&z=9 (http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Atlanta,+GA&daddr=Neels+Gap,+Cohutta+National+Forest,+Georgia+ 30528&hl=en&sll=34.734814,-83.917965&sspn=0.029343,0.036392&geocode=FQP4AgIdclf4-imNCZNpXQT1iDELYwuZL97-Zg%3BFd4CEgIdc4P_-imLObJFwj9fiDEmjWp_MxzXIQ&oq=Atlanta&mra=ls&t=m&z=9)), walk up Blood Mountain, eat lunch, talk to a couple of thruhikers, hike down, buy a celebratory ice cream sandwich in Mountain Crossings.

I'm 99.999999% sure you will have a great time. You will not be mugged, attacked, raped or murdered. The weather is forcasted to be great.

Go LIVE!!

================================================== ================================================== ==========

flemdawg1...

He's been very open & honest about his issue's. I believe in him. He is capable of doing exactly what you suggested.
He needs "the tools" to do what some of us don't think twice about doing. I believe he has the motivation.

CAP N'
03-08-2013, 12:20
I hike solo all the time.
#1 - I agree with many of the folks on here - not really an issue to worry about.
#2 - This is basically a non-issue - particularly if you are carrying any kind of bear spray - as these types of sprays are actual the most preferred type for self-defense against another human being (a pepper-spray can that is intended as a BEAR deterrent is far more (almost surprisingly so) effective on an attacker than pepper spray models that fit on a keychain and go in a woman's purse.) That being said - always be alert, trust your gut instincts and use discretion when talking to other people along the trail who seem "less-than friendly"
#3 Wouldn't worry to much about this. Besides, bears are silent as all hell. Tough to spot them regardless of how many people you're with.
#4 This, to many, would be considered a legitimate concern. However, with the proper gear ( a well stocked first aid kit and the knowledge of how to use everything in the kit CORRECTLY) this should not deter you from hiking alone. Again, be alert, and most importantly KNOW YOUR ABILITIES.

Venchka
03-08-2013, 12:24
"Good grief, Charley Brown."

You are at greater risk driving to/from the trail head or hitchhiking into town from the AT to resupply.
Just get out there. If you wait for a risk free outdoor adventure you will be too old to go. Actually, staying indoors at home might have greater risk than hiking alone.

Wayne

TheYoungOne
03-08-2013, 12:29

Any advice?.

Honestly I love hiking alone, like others have already said it has benefits like hiking yor own pace, and doing what you want. I just want to touch on a few things you said.

1) I like to go on section hikes alone, because sometimes its just good to be in alone, quiet, thinking in your own thoughts, doing what you want. Granted if I was somehow all alone during a thru hike, I would go crazy, but the AT is a very social enviroment. However, I have yet to go on a section hike and not run into at least one another hiker. No mater if I'm hiking on a weekend, playing hookie from work during the week, or hiking some oddball section during what I think is an oddball time of the year I eventually will see someone else on the trail. The other thing is when you are hiking with someone else or a group, once you really get moving their are long periods of quiet. Sure you may chit-chat and joke around here and there, but once everyone gets focused on the physical part of hiking people tend to zone out.

2,3,4) Like others have said, on average, statically, the trail is very, very safe. That said if you are worried about your saftey, if you are an adult, you can carry a small pocket knife and/or a small jogger sized can of pepper spray. Its cheap, lightweight, and easy to carry. Also and this goes for 2,3,4 for the most part along the trail you will have cell phone reception so bring one. New hikers get spooked thinking about bears. Black bears will not sneak up on you, and for the most part are scared of humans and will run if at the first sight of people. They do like food, and as long as you hang your food away from your shelter you will be fine. With crime, animals and injury remember that you are not in the middle of nowhere. You are on a popular hiking trail. Some of it is remote, but some parts of the trail you are a stones throw away from civilization. If you are hiking alone,make sure someone at home know where you are and where you are going. If something happens, someone at home will know where you were. You can probably call home or 911 from your cell phone, if something happens, and if you can't the odds of another hiker eventually finding you is also high.

If you still feel the need to hike with someone, check out the "hooking up" section of WB. Its easier, safer and less social awkward than hanging along the trail trying you latch on to another hiker or group of hikers on the fly.